What did you buy today?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: What did you buy today?

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:58amI also bought a book from Hive.
This one?

When Mrs Gorm (Aunt Eloise)
Was stung to death by savage bees,
Her husband (Prebendary Gorm)
Put on his veil, and took the swarm.
He’s publishing a book, next May,
On “How to Make Bee-keeping Pay.”

: - )

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:00am
Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:58amI also bought a book from Hive.
This one?

When Mrs Gorm (Aunt Eloise)
Was stung to death by savage bees,
Her husband (Prebendary Gorm)
Put on his veil, and took the swarm.
On “How to Make Bee-keeping Pay.”

Jonathan
A slow start for me today: I had to read this twice. Gave me quite a buzz in the end:-)

For those who may not have come across this before, this outlet usually beats Amazon in every way (price, delivery) but especially in fairness.

https://www.hive.co.uk/
John
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Two 5ltr bottles of Malt Vinegar.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:58am I bought a kitchen. First - and almost certain the last - in a lifetime. I also bought a book from Hive.
Pretty sure you bought a kitchen a couple of months back - the one you just decided to replace. :P
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Jdsk wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 8:00am
On “How to Make Bee-keeping Pay.”[/i]

Jonathan
'Keep 'em full of sugar and smokes, just like all the other working folks'
Nu-Fogey
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 9:01am
Oldjohnw wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 7:58am I bought a kitchen. First - and almost certain the last - in a lifetime. I also bought a book from Hive.
Pretty sure you bought a kitchen a couple of months back - the one you just decided to replace. :P
I paid for it yesterday. But I’m glad of your interest.

Incidentally, this is what I wrote:
We NEED a kitchen and bathroom which a local supplier will install. I plan on doing nothing in the house in the way of DIY.
(My added bold)
John
busb

Post by busb »

A 20 - 200Nm 1/2" torque wrench bought off Amazon. Unfortunately, like most tools & even things like shoes laces - are made in China.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Tea and Croissant while watching a friend at Bolton ironman
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Debs

Post by Debs »

Hellhound wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 11:45pm How did you carry them home?
I wear a typical short sleeve lycra race jersey which has 3 pockets at the back...

Half a dozen eggs [ in box ] fit snuggly into the rear centre pocket :)
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

A new rear light for my wife's bike.
Attachments
cateye-viz-300-rear-bike-light-p147-453_image.jpg
Steve
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I had a quite varied day of purchases at the Car Boot yesterday, I don't normally spend more than a fiver.
Bike/ Workshop stuff :- A new Bell two-stage short Schraeder pump, an SKS frame fit presta pump, a pair of Shimano PD-M520 SPD pedals ( damage to the plastic spindle-nuts, but nice little used condition otherwise) , a Phillips screw driver, a Stahwille 9/11mm ring spanner, an 8 way dumb-bell old steel bike spanner, a new Pickavant ball-joint splitter (for removing cranks with knackered threads), a 10mm Britool combination spanner and an old Britool steel 1/4'' drive socket set box (empty).
I was tempted to give SPD pedals another go, but I gave my cleats away a while back, so these are available for what I paid for them (£2.50 plus the postage) if anyone's interested). Nice if you just want to try mountain Bike SPD's or revive a knackered set, these are the classic, value Shimano Pedal. (Now sold)
P1150153.JPG
Picture of damage to plastic spindle nut, the seals are exposed, I don't know if that's common, looks like it might be spanner slippage removing the pedals.
P1150153 - Copy.JPG
Edit, pedal model number corrected & now sold).

Other:-
A used once, Eurohike Adventurer 200, 2 season sleeping bag, a self-inflating sleeping mat (with an inflator chucked in for free !), a pair of new slipper socks, pair of cheap new merino/ synthetic winter socks (poor quality when I turned them inside out at home), 6 pack of Right Guard deodorant, some new steel tent pegs, a vintage German Jos Fischer Intermezzo tremelo mouth organ (nice, little used condition), two pairs of new Dickies work trousers, a plastic trowel, a Highway Code and some fresh baked goods from the baker's stall.
Total spend about 35 quid, a grand day's bootin' !
Last edited by colin54 on 28 Sep 2021, 5:42pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nu-Fogey
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Debs wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:54am
I wear a typical short sleeve lycra race jersey which has 3 pockets at the back...
I wouldn't trust myself with a box of eggs in my jersey pocket..I think it would end badly :lol: :lol:
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Hellhound wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 11:48am
Debs wrote: 27 Sep 2021, 10:54am
I wouldn't trust myself with a box of eggs in my jersey pocket..I think it would end badly :lol: :lol:
When I could still ride I often bought eggs from roadside stalls. I usually had a saddle bag (Carradice SQR) but I have used a jersey pocket.
I never broke an egg.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
rjb

Post by rjb »

I buy fresh farm eggs from roadside outlets from locals that keep hens. Never had a problem carrying them home, usually in a rack pack, but occasionally in my jersey pocket. Never had a scrambled egg. :lol:
The supply reduces as the days shorten so sometimes resort to supermarket eggs in the winter.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
rjb

Post by rjb »

I buy fresh farm eggs from roadside outlets from locals that keep hens. Never had a problem carrying them home, usually in a rack pack, but occasionally in my jersey pocket. Never had a scrambled egg. :lol:
Here's a photo from one of my previous posts.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D