Stand-alone GPS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Christopher Lycett

Stand-alone GPS

Post by Christopher Lycett »

Which stand-alone GPS device(s), with 1:50,000 UK pre-loaded, should I consider? I don't have, and don't want, a smart phone.
Jdsk

Re: Stand-alone GPS

Post by Jdsk »

I'd start by specifying the screen size and quality and an acceptable price.

Are you going to use it on-road, off-road, walking as well as cycling... ?

Jonathan (currently using a Garmin Edge 1000, and I'd consider an Edge Explore)
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

You don't have to put a sim in a smartphone, they work perfectly well as a mobile computer without. Just take advantage of the price/performance benefit over proprietary GPS devices. if a simless smartphone CD meets your needs it's a steal.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I appreciate OP does not want a "smartphone" but the distinction is narrowing e.g. some "dedicated" GPS devices run Android OS and reasonable rumour is that the next top end "dedicated" cycling GPS from Garmin will likely include a version with LTE (that said many of the rumours also said it would be released by now!.

Even some bike security devices include a SIM card ...

Ian
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

When you say 1:50,000 UK, are you thinking OS mapping? AFAIK most if not all GPS devices come with pre-loaded mapping, usually zoomable, but rarely OS.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:31pm When you say 1:50,000 UK, are you thinking OS mapping? AFAIK most if not all GPS devices come with pre-loaded mapping, usually zoomable, but rarely OS.
Garmin (my GPS of choice -Edge 1000) has a verson of OpenStreets which is pretty good covering the whole of Europe - I used to have 1-50,000 Ordnance Survey as a Garmin-sold add-on but some changes to the Garmin software about 2 years ago meant that you could no longer run the OS.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Satmap's current offering is the brick-like Active 20 - see here, which comes with a range of mapping (on SD card) including the pricey option of whole GB on OS, either just at 50k, or if your pockets are super-deep, 50k, 25k & 10k, Landranger / Explorer / street-map respectively. Most of "the brick" is a 5000mAH battery which has potential to last all day & into the night. I have one and am pleased with it, except for its brickyness, which means it's most suitable for bike use, rather than walking.
The most obvious competition is Garmin's Montana 700 series, which as far as I can tell, are even more bricky! They have colossal screens and some can do internet services like search for POIs thus allowing one to locate the nearest Maccaz... or p******e repair facility...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

freeflow wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 1:16pm You don't have to put a sim in a smartphone, they work perfectly well as a mobile computer without. Just take advantage of the price/performance benefit over proprietary GPS devices. if a simless smartphone CD meets your needs it's a steal.
This...

The economies of scale mean that you won't find a better sensor array an interface on any other device.
No need to turn on the radios if you don't want them, but don't overlook the "obvious" solution - doesn't even need to be new...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Prob'ly get better water-proofing, shock-absorbance with a GPS device - same idea of preloved applies - eg Satmap's Active 10 (award-winning at launch) now 2-a-penny! :D
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

You don't have to put a sim in a smartphone, they work perfectly well as a mobile computer without.
As a very non technical person I can just about cope with the basics on a desktop PC - tried a smartphone but couldn't manage it.
If without a simcard they work as a mobile computer could one provide the bluetooth connection to my Orbea Gain e-bike? Could the essential app be bluetoothed from another smartphone?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

simonineaston wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 2:02pm Satmap's current offering is the brick-like Active 20 - see here, which comes with a range of mapping (on SD card) including the pricey option of whole GB on OS, either just at 50k, or if your pockets are super-deep, 50k, 25k & 10k, Landranger / Explorer / street-map respectively. Most of "the brick" is a 5000mAH battery which has potential to last all day & into the night. I have one and am pleased with it, except for its brickyness, which means it's most suitable for bike use, rather than walking.
The most obvious competition is Garmin's Montana 700 series, which as far as I can tell, are even more bricky! They have colossal screens and some can do internet services like search for POIs thus allowing one to locate the nearest Maccaz... or p******e repair facility...
I emphasised the importance of a suitable screen size and quality. If anyone's considering a Montana then mass certainly becomes a factor.

Jonathan

PS: And for cycle touring I prefer a USB battery pack to larger batteries in the navigation device.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Grandad wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 11:43am
You don't have to put a sim in a smartphone, they work perfectly well as a mobile computer without.
If without a simcard they work as a mobile computer could one provide the bluetooth connection to my Orbea Gain e-bike? Could the essential app be bluetoothed from another smartphone?
Probably. But I suggest asking that in the eBike forum... there are almost certainly some users of the Orbea software over there:
viewforum.php?f=55

Jonathan
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Grandad wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 11:43am
As a very non technical person I can just about cope with the basics on a desktop PC - tried a smartphone but couldn't manage it.
You would probably load the software over wifi, and update the maps the same way. But if there is a bluetooth app for the bike then it would be very surprising if it didn't work without a SIM.

The lack of a sim just means no monthly payment, and no mobile data/voice (except for the ability to call 999, that's not restricted for obvious reasons). The device functions completely in all other respects.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.......... and WiFi too of course.

I rarely use any of my data allowance, and rarely make a phone call from it either.
Mick F. Cornwall
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

I know I will be in a minority here but I really don't like mobile phones on handlebars. They are very exposed both to the elements and to any mishaps and the battery life is not always brilliant.

All of my business contact details, diary etc are on there so it would be a real problem if it was damaged.

15 years ago I started using a Garmin Dakota which had a bar mount. It was really designed for walkers I think but it was extremely robust. It survived a high speed crash and continued to record its position all the way to the nearest police station until the batteries ran out whilst I was taken to the local hospital. I very much doubt whether a mobile phone on the handlebars would have survived.

It showed you where you were and recorded places of interest like hotels etc and beeped to let you know if a turn was coming up but there was no voice instruction. The screen was rather small and as I got older it got more difficult to see without glasses.

Since then I have used a couple of gps devices specifically designed for cycles as I like to link it to my Strava account to record my rides and also after some heart issues the most important piece of info on it is my heart rate!!

Even for stand alone navigation I would still be reluctant to use a mobile phone although as others have said it is perfectly possible but it is probably me being overcautious.