Stand-alone GPS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sweep

Re: Stand-alone GPS

Post by Sweep »

tykeboy2003 wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 4:31pm Buy an old android phone and load an app using WiFi and like others have said, don't put a SIM card in it. Probably the cheapest option by some considerable margin. Also buy a gel case like in the picture and punch a few holes into it and strap it to your bike with cable ties.20211007_162358.jpg
you will still face the battery life issue though, and with an old phone even more so.
Not a problem for a standalone (subject of thread) which takes AAs like the etrexes.
Sweep
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'm thinking the old phone thing is maybe a route to take (hoho) if on a shoestring, but is likely to dissappoint in a number of ways... if I was doing the shoestring thing, I might look around for an old, old GPS, rather than a phone - eg lots of Active 10s on fleabay - bide your time and get a good map / price combo. Same probably true of lots of last gen navigation devices.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Not having a smartphone I depend on the colour of the control button on my Orbea e-bike to know the approximate battery level. Will see if a sim free smartphone will access the app - assuming it has bluetooth.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I'm in a similar position to the OP looking for a GPS device, an old phone seems to be the way to go I think? I know nothing about phones but can anyone suggest something that may suit my needs (possibly the OP too)?. I have to wear glasses for reading so if the screen was too small I would need to stop and put on my glasses to see the screen, hence a larger screen would be needed.
My apologies to the OP for hijacking his thread!

Bertie.