Stand-alone GPS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Stand-alone GPS

Post by Jdsk »

brianleach wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 4:41pm I know I will be in a minority here but I really don't like mobile phones on handlebars. They are very exposed both to the elements and to any mishaps and the battery life is not always brilliant.

All of my business contact details, diary etc are on there so it would be a real problem if it was damaged.
Yes. There's a list of factors which everyone should take into account in their own option appraisal.

But that option appraisal is definitely worth doing.

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

It's a fair point, re potential damage / cost... if I lose my gps, there's not much risk attached, except cost. If I lose an expensive smart phone, there's a lot more potential risk, many elements of which may / may not be limited by insurance, backups and diligent application of digital security. There's a very very slim chance of catastrophe if I lose my smart phone and it gets into the wrong hands, whereas if I lose my Satmap, there is next to zero risk - I might even get it back, 'cos the only identifier available is my mobile number, as it's the device's "name".
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Christopher Lycett wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 10:05am Which stand-alone GPS device(s), with 1:50,000 UK pre-loaded, should I consider? I don't have, and don't want, a smart phone.
Any thoughts on the initial responses, please?

Thanks

Jonathan
sjs

Post by sjs »

simonineaston wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 5:25pm It's a fair point, re potential damage / cost... if I lose my gps, there's not much risk attached, except cost. If I lose an expensive smart phone, there's a lot more potential risk, many elements of which may / may not be limited by insurance, backups and diligent application of digital security. There's a very very slim chance of catastrophe if I lose my smart phone and it gets into the wrong hands, whereas if I lose my Satmap, there is next to zero risk - I might even get it back, 'cos the only identifier available is my mobile number, as it's the device's "name".
On the other hand, there are lots of last year's smartphones languishing in drawers just waiting to be given something useful to do.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

sjs wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 7:31pm
simonineaston wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 5:25pm It's a fair point, re potential damage / cost... if I lose my gps, there's not much risk attached, except cost. If I lose an expensive smart phone, there's a lot more potential risk, many elements of which may / may not be limited by insurance, backups and diligent application of digital security. There's a very very slim chance of catastrophe if I lose my smart phone and it gets into the wrong hands, whereas if I lose my Satmap, there is next to zero risk - I might even get it back, 'cos the only identifier available is my mobile number, as it's the device's "name".
On the other hand, there are lots of last year's smartphones languishing in drawers just waiting to be given something useful to do.
Yes. Just as certain professions are said to require a burner phone, so maybe cyclists can benefit from a 'crasher' phone!
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Jdsk wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 5:33pm
Christopher Lycett wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 10:05am Which stand-alone GPS device(s), with 1:50,000 UK pre-loaded, should I consider? I don't have, and don't want, a smart phone.

Thanks

Jonathan
I think a couple of Garmin options were mentioned, and Satmap?
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

and Satmap
Have to say I'm liking the Satmap A20, inspite of the aformentioned brick-like experience, courtesy of the stonking 5000mAH battery. In partic. I like they've added the option to use touch screen control and/or hard buttons, they've uped the water-proofness, and they've cleaned up the screen views - see below. In some ways, the bloomin' A20 is the product (at long last) it should have been from launch, the A12 - and the A10 in partic - being almost like prototypes and barely market-ready. In that way, the product reminds me of Peter Walker's electrostatic loudspeakers...
Attachments
photo of screen (not screenshot)
photo of screen (not screenshot)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

So, since they're visible in the photo above, clockwise starting with the two obvious zoom in & out buttons, the next one round is settings, then over on the bottom left the trail up/north up toggle, then the info. panel view toggle, then lastly, top left, the button to toggle thru' Landranger, Explorer and street-map views (assuming you've bought that option...).
Last edited by simonineaston on 30 Sep 2021, 8:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

That screen does look good. If you use it trail up as opposed to north up, does the text on the map move to remain right-way up as you look at it? Cos, so I've heard, OS maps in other devices the text is always north up even when you're using the map trail up (ie you have to read upside down).
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 7:39pm
Jdsk wrote: 30 Sep 2021, 5:33pm
I think a couple of Garmin options were mentioned, and Satmap?
Thanks

My question was aimed at the OP to see if we were helping. I can see that that wasn't clear. : -)

Jonathan
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

does the text on the map move to remain right-way up
I wish! The experience remains very analogue in that respect... or to put it another way, no !!
S
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Thanks for confirming.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Can't you read at all angles?

I think that map photo shows why satmap a20 is good. The Montana screen is almost as good too. I just wish my Samsung A70 was as good in daylight. Back-light set on highest setting and I had to scurry into the darkest shade to see it and samsung have along the best screen tech, even supply apple tech too I heard.

It I was buying one, might be soon, I'd get Montana 700i or satmap a20. The former is better overall but the latter has the better screen.

Phones have their uses but I do not believe the gps antenna is as good as the quad helix one in gpsmap66 range. Plus without the full ABC ( altimeter, barometer and 3 axis electronic compass). Hiking or offroad I've wanted to get height accurately for navigation reasons a fair few times.
nomm

Post by nomm »

I've owned a Garmin Edge 530 for almost a year - its hard to fault and the features I thought I would never use are now very well used.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Garmin Montana.
I cannot fault mine at all, and if it broke, I'd buy another.
Expensive, yes, but worth their weight in gold IMO.

You can purchase the Garmin maps and load freebies on there too.
I have Garmin Explorer - OS Maps ........ and Garmin City Navigator (Europe).

You can use them on a bike, on a hike, in a car, on a motorbike, on a boat and in an aircraft. All mounts are available.
You can buy an external aerial for them too.
Mick F. Cornwall