...which waterproof trousers to purchase

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nomm

...which waterproof trousers to purchase

Post by nomm »

...yes the heavens are opening more regularly this time of year and more intensely than ever before, plus its slowly getting chilly...

My very old TennOutdoor waterproof trousers are now dying a sad death and can't tolerate anything longer than a 15 min commute in the rain, even after a re-proof. My wet crotch is proof of this... I need an upgrade for the daily commute/shop/nursery drop

Tenn outdoors don't seem to exist anymore, a colleagues Altura nightvision trouser pockets leak... so where to buy?

Endura... seemingly 4 options - RRP 60-180?

Decathlon ... - RRP 20- 70?

I would be grateful for suggestions
BerlinMatt

Re: ...which waterproof trousers to purchase

Post by BerlinMatt »

I think cheap is better with waterproof trousers, Goretex etc don't seem to be worth the investment
- fancy ones often don't last much longer as legs rubbing together makes them leak much earlier than with a jacket.
-Also cheap trousers don't cause you to sweat as much as cheap jackets
- When you fall off you will rip the knees, this is less annoying when they have only cost €20 :wink:
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

I do like my Fox Ranger 3L, pre curved cut, soft lining and a small degree of stretch, lovely for cold wet days. I tend to stick to Endura MT500 waterproof shorts for warmer wet weather.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I got some Marmott Precip full zip trousers a few years back & they seem to be holding up pretty well. Their big plus is the full zips (jacket style) - when I've had them on for walking I've taken them off without stopping. They aren't cycling specific but are a fairly slim leg fit. I don't wear them often on the bike but they don't get too sweaty & kept me dry on the 7.5 miles to the station on Monday in atrocious conditions.

This was the first link for them that Google came up with - https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ant-p11048
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I got berghaus paclite ones. Very light, packable and with 3/4 leg zips. They are only worn if really needed. I have a short cycle from station to work so wear work clothes. I cannot buy cheap as I'm tall so I have to buy xl leg length trousers when I see them. This also means £100+. My previous pair were sprayers and lasted 6 years of cycling, hiking and dog walking in rain. They're still useable on the bike but they're too heavy / durable so I prefer lightweight paclite ones.

Paclite is a more breathable and lightweight type of goretex. Less durable than top end goretex but they're tough enough. I use mine for cycling and walking. I've never ripped hiking trousers in my life. I find they simply don't get exposed to thorns and other damaging things like jackets do.

Cheap or expensive is a balancing act that's a case of personal choice. If you're in the habit of damaging trousers then cheap might be your best option. If not then IME you get a better product once you're at £100 or more.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I don't wear them much but bought some from Decathalon. Very light with zipped bottoms. I'm happy to ride them the 7 miles to the shops but any longer they would be too hot. I have greater difficulty keeping my feet dry.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

FWIW, I bought some Endura Hummvee over trousers last year. So far very pleased. Waterproof, slim fitting (non-flappy), pack small, light, not too expensive.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-hummvee ... f-trousers?
geomannie
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

For cycling?

i still rate Rainlegs.

(I'm on my 2nd pair - first pair bought in 2007.)
Last edited by mattheus on 30 Sep 2021, 1:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shuggie

Post by Shuggie »

mattheus wrote:For cycling?

i still rate Rainlegs.
+ 1 Image
freiston

Post by freiston »

I don't normally wear them on the bike - I use a cape and Eager spats. Off the bike, I use Berghaus Deluge - they've got zips from the bottom outside legs almost up to the waistband and a press stud flap over said zips. In a muddy field with my boots on, I don't stand a chance of getting over-trousers on with a zip any shorter without getting in a right mess and/or falling over. The zips can be opened from either end, making trouser pocket access and ventilation easy.

Occasionally, when on the folding bike for utility rides and the weather is bad, I will wear a non-bike specific raincoat and waterproof over-trousers, usually a pair of old relatively cheap Peter Storm brand, with trouser bands to stop them fouling in the chain/crank.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

BerlinMatt wrote: 29 Sep 2021, 9:05pm I think cheap is better with waterproof trousers, Goretex etc don't seem to be worth the investment
+ 1/ I'd agree, with such a pragmatic viewpoint.
PH

Post by PH »

My favorite wet weather trousers are not quite waterproof, but when wearing them I remain almost entirely dry. Showers Pass Skyline trousers have a mix of hardshell waterproof and grades of softshell water resistant, which does an excellent job of keeping me dry without overheating (As long as it's not too warn to start with)
£125 and currently out of stock in most sizes, but you could ask if they know when they're due. Or there might be something else in the SP range that suits, though I haven't tried any of their other trousers.
https://showerspass.co.uk/collections/mens-pants
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I use rainlegs too, assuming you have mudgaurds and overshoes your shins dont get that wet and i have yet to find other overtrousers that are not boil in the bag whereas rainlegs let you breathe a bit
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
nomm

Post by nomm »

I hear the cheap is the best compromise, but my nursery, shopping, commuting round trips can end up being an hour or 2 a day in the wet.

So staying dry, warm and less sweaty is ideal.

I think its

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-cit ... 52&c=BLACK

Or

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/endura-hummvee ... f-trousers
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

If it’s light / moderate rain, I don’t bother, but do use rain legs. If it’s torrential/ very heavy, then my old fashioned 1970s cape is a wonderful thing, lightweight jumper underneath, and roasty toasty and dry.