Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
brianleach

Re: Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

Post by brianleach »

For many years I used to cycle to Winchester railway station before travelling to London. Using the cheap bike principle I had a very basic dropped handlebar one which I had converted to flat bars myself. So not desirable and only a cheap lock!! I needed new panniers to leave my stuff in so got these lurid purple ones which were only attached to the bike with buckles so I was concerned that I would come back one day and they would be gone.

Imagine my surprise when I got off the train one evening to find the panniers sitting exactly where I left them but the bike was gone!! The lock had been bolt cropped off and cast aside. As I recall my insurance excess was £35 and the bike was probably worth a tenner. After that I used better locks.
hemo

Post by hemo »

brianleach wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:48pm For many years I used to cycle to Winchester railway station before travelling to London. Using the cheap bike principle I had a very basic dropped handlebar one which I had converted to flat bars myself. So not desirable and only a cheap lock!! I needed new panniers to leave my stuff in so got these lurid purple ones which were only attached to the bike with buckles so I was concerned that I would come back one day and they would be gone.

Imagine my surprise when I got off the train one evening to find the panniers sitting exactly where I left them but the bike was gone!! The lock had been bolt cropped off and cast aside. As I recall my insurance excess was £35 and the bike was probably worth a tenner. After that I used better locks.
Argh, I can see where you went wrong, no t- leaf would have been seen dead on a lurid purple bike as well.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Argh, I can see where you went wrong, no t- leaf would have been seen dead on a lurid purple bike as well.
You are quite right of course. I was considering the relative values not how likely they were to make a successful getaway!!!
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

brianleach wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:48pm ........Imagine my surprise when I got off the train one evening to find the panniers sitting exactly where I left them but the bike was gone!! The lock had been bolt cropped off and cast aside......
...so if you'd attached the panniers more securely you'd have kept the bike. :D
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

.so if you'd attached the panniers more securely you'd have kept the bike.
I'm not sure I wanted to, it was a bit of a dog! Probably did me a favour!
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:35pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I used to know someone who had a number of custom built bikes, which he spray painted matte black as an anti-theft measure. I'm not aware that he ever had anything stolen, despite an otherwise fairly light approach to security.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Thanks very much for all the advice folks. In the interest of resource sharing, here are some of the internet things I turned up. Some of this may be old news to people here, but maybe not to anybody doing a random internet search:

https://homesteady.com/12002230/how-to- ... rom-a-lock for using Acetone to remove superglue from locks.

https://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/ad ... de-bonder/ Is a specific superglue debonder. I suppose if you have superglue at home (I do) you should really buy some of this at the same time anyway. But according to the SDS it only has a shelf life of 12 months. Though my research didn't find many cases of the old "supergluing bike locks". And not really for theft, more just mischief.

https://thebestbikelock.com/ Is great for specific reviews, and some great general, useful advice, gained from his own experience. It's interesting that he actually leaves his own bike locked up outside overnight on the street, all the time. It was this site that prompted me to buy the Abus Granite X-Plus 540 that I have, along with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pywN558dJaUwhere the "bike lock expert" had to spend a whole 53 seconds to get it off. Plus he needed an angle grinder to do it.

If I go for a static chain I'd probably get https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail ... 6-x.x-SS65. It's a fair bit of money, but no more than the cheapest "commuter" 2nd bike that has been suggested.

I know the advice to get a second bike is well intended, but I won't. I don't really have room for a second bike, and more importantly I've got this bike just how I like it and want to be comfortable/happy even on a short commuter ride. For instance the leather saddle has now moulded itself to match my pert little derriere (yeah, right, I wish) and I don't want to be faffing around swapping the saddle about. So I'll take the low risk, with heavy duty security, of the bike being stolen.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks for the summary.

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

LancsGirl wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:28am .... For instance the leather saddle has now moulded itself to match my pert little derriere (yeah, right, I wish) and I don't want to be faffing around swapping the saddle about. So I'll take the low risk, with heavy duty security, of the bike being stolen.
You could always carry a short light cable to go round the saddle rails and into the D-lock? Wont stop anybody with tools (but then if they have tools and select your bike it's all probably lost anyway. But a cable might dissuade a casual "that looks like a nice saddle parked there everyday" (and they remember to bring an Allen key with them the next day).

Depends on many practicalities but do remember you are not limited to a single security measure.

(Sorry if I mentioned it above, but in case I didn't) I have fitted one of my bikes with an Abus Alarm Box (common enough that Google will find it). Quite small but quite heave (it is designed to be robust). It does the warning beeps if somebody starts moving the bike before going full alarm - wont stop a determined thief but little will. There are variants that have the alarm built into cable style locks (or not just into D-locks) which might help with saddle security and overall security in addition to D-lock (and not left on bike rack).

Ian
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Psamathe wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 1:25pm
LancsGirl wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 11:28am .... For instance the leather saddle has now moulded itself to match my pert little derriere (yeah, right, I wish) and I don't want to be faffing around swapping the saddle about. So I'll take the low risk, with heavy duty security, of the bike being stolen.
You could always carry a short light cable to go round the saddle rails and into the D-lock? Wont stop anybody with tools (but then if they have tools and select your bike it's all probably lost anyway. But a cable might dissuade a casual "that looks like a nice saddle parked there everyday" (and they remember to bring an Allen key with them the next day).
Thanks. Yes good idea about the cable for the saddle.

Though it won't be everyday. One of the reasons I'm not ultra concerned is that this is for a part time job and it's looking like it will be on non-consecutive days, arriving/departing at different times on those days. So a bit less "predictable" for any potential thief.
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 1:59pmDoes anybody remember the Provo movement in Holland in the sixties?
The idea is still up and running in a few places, including one scheme set up in the Hoge Veluwe national park to copy the Provo scheme in Amsterdam. I used them on my visit - feels a bit odd to just dump your bike and see someone else ride off with it. Excellent idea, with minimal need for motor transport - i.e. the truck that drives round and re-scatters the bikes so they don't end up bunched up in one place.

https://www.hogeveluwe.nl/en/plan-your- ... JMQAvD_BwE