Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
LancsGirl

Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

Post by LancsGirl »

I wonder if anybody can help please.

I'm about to start work where bike commuting is a possibility. There are plenty of upside down U shaped stands (Sheffield stands?) nearby. Most of them newly installed. A busy area, and one set of stands is right outside an office block that has full length windows at ground level about 3 feet from the stands. So ticking the various boxes of advice I've read.

As it would be a regular commute I'm wondering about buying the thickest heaviest chain/padlock possible, for example one of these 16mm ones:

https://thebestbikelock.com/best-chain-lock/#tab-con-17

And leaving it there.

But there's a suggestion that sometimes bike thieves superglue the lock-hole so you can't unlock the bike, then come back at night to work on it.

Does this happen much, or ever?

If it's very difficult to work on, then, well, it's very difficult to work on, no matter how much time they've got. It's a city centre site, so thieves with an angle grinder, making sparks, are going to be on CCTV (I've not looked, but I expect there's a lot of CCTV).

Just that I don't fancy finding an immobilised bike and having to buy myself an angle grinder to steal my own bike.

It's a steel framed road bike, with fairly old components, though I do like to keep it clean so it looks "nice". But it doesn't shout "worth a fortune", hopefully.

I've already got the Abus Granite X plus 540, which I might keep with me and use for the front wheel.

Thanks.
LancsGirl

Re: Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

Post by LancsGirl »

This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjCrNxJ8O8

...if it works, slightly relieves my concerns.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Have to admit, I hadn't considered this issue in respect to bike locks.

But supergluing locks certainly happens. Following an assault by an alcoholic neighbours drunken friend back in August, on my return from hospital found my back door lock had mysteriously, suddenly, become utterly seized. Having worked in Housing/Estate Mgt I presumed superglue was the cause, as there were no obvious signs of physical damage, a cause agreed on by the maintenance staff.
Last edited by gbnz on 3 Oct 2021, 9:13am, edited 1 time in total.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

LancsGirl wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 12:49am . It's a city centre site, so thieves with an angle grinder, making sparks, are going to be on CCTV (I've not looked, but I expect there's a lot of CCTV)......

It's a steel framed road bike, with fairly old components, though I do like to keep it clean so it looks "nice". But it doesn't shout "worth a fortune", hopefully.

I've already got the Abus Granite X plus 540, which I might keep with me and use for the front wheel.
I wouldn't anticipate there being a problem. On an estate somewhere, the possibility would always exist of some kids gluing the lock for fun. But a steel framed bike, old components, city centre location? I'd seriously doubt that you'd have issues with serious theft attempts or kids having fun. And an Abus Granite type lock - mine's one of those and they couldn't be more secure
Last edited by gbnz on 3 Oct 2021, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gbnz wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 9:12amI wouldn't anticipate there being a problem. On an estate somewhere, the possibility would always exist of some kids gluing the lock for fun. But a steel framed bike, old components, city centre location? I'd seriously doubt that you'd have issues with theft
Yes. think about all of those factors.

And definitely find some way to commute on the bike.

: - )

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

If this method (superglue) of stealing bikes was common in a particular area, wouldn't the police know. I'd ask them, or possibly the local press.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

gbnz wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 9:12am
LancsGirl wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 12:49am . It's a city centre site, so thieves with an angle grinder, making sparks, are going to be on CCTV (I've not looked, but I expect there's a lot of CCTV)......

I wouldn't anticipate there being a problem. On an estate somewhere, the possibility would always exist of some kids gluing the lock for fun. But a steel framed bike, old components, city centre location? I'd seriously doubt that you'd have issues with serious theft attempts or kids having fun. And an Abus Granite type lock - mine's one of those and they couldn't be more secure
Generally I would agree, sometimes you have to take that chance and an old bike with older components is most likely to be less stealable than a newer bike. Or get a really cheap secondhand pure commuter bike that it won't matter if it's stolen. Even a fairly cheap entry level bike from Decathlon would do it.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't had a lock superglued, or know anyone locally who has. I have had a chain disappear from a stand overnight (Might possibly have been the council, but they usually give warning). I've also had a cheap bike locked to mine, in a way that looked like it could have been accidental - I broke their lock, re-locked their bike with my lock, left a note with my phone number and they never rang!
Whatever you do there's a risk and there doesn't seem to be much difference in the chance of getting a cheap or expensive bike taken. Chain and good D lock is going to make it one of the harder bikes to take, I'd accept that level of risk.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

(I'm no expert on bike secuirty so just personal opinion)
I'd agree with the chain plus D-lock suggestions.

I appreciate these devices are heavy but (even both) people go touring with a lot lot heavier loads and enjoy themselves so is it really impossible to carry the locks with you? in panniers. If it were me I'd be carrying the locks despite the extra weight (compare the extra weight of the locks with e.g. a couple of pints of beer or the spare tyre some carry roundtheir waist ...).

On one of my bikes I have a Abus Alarm Box https://www.abus.com/uk/Home-Security/P ... y/Alarmbox - fairly heavy and there are variabts with the alarm built into a lock. But with office windows close-by maybe also an alarm might attract the attention of occupants. However, I understand that even with alarms blaring occupants may still do nothing!

Ian
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

LancsGirl wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 12:57am This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnjCrNxJ8O8

...if it works, slightly relieves my concerns.
Interesting, my go to would probably have been a spray can of acetone and/or brake cleaner which normally makes quick work of superglue.

Never heard of this happening to anyone I know though. As usual though the best defence against bike theft is to use an unappealing bike if it's going to be locked in public and then make sure it's locked properly (ie don't sling the dlock around the top tube only with plenty of space for the thief to work with, don't leave the chain on the floor etc)

With sheffield stands, always give them a yank/inspection before locking, a common trick is for the stand to be cut and covered with stickers or unsecured from the ground in advance and then they can just unthread the bike after.

Did see this the other day:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ai ... -bike-lock

From tests it seems to take about 5 carbide discs a cut. Like the altor SAF however, they might just start attacking the stand instead!
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If somebody really wants to steal a bike they will. eg No matter how public a bike rack, if somebody began stealing a bike, the likelihood of anybody intervening is quite small. The more desirable the bike, the longer it's left - especially if it's left regularly - and the fewer the precautions like locks, the more likely it is to be taken. A cheap bike, heavily locked may - statistically - be your best bet.

Not for the first time, I'll suggest trying to befriend the security people, although this seems increasingly to be outsourced. The have the keys to all the hidey holes and sometimes the ultimate heaven of a boiler room where wet togs can be dried. It's easy to fall into the trap of treating people as part of the building; far better to be pals.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Stevek76 wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 12:03pma common trick is for the stand to be cut and covered with stickers or unsecured from the ground in advance and then they can just unthread the bike after.
A common trick?

Seems a lot of effort with no guarantee of any return.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

DaveReading wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 11:03pm
Stevek76 wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 12:03pma common trick is for the stand to be cut and covered with stickers or unsecured from the ground in advance and then they can just unthread the bike after.
A common trick?

Seems a lot of effort with no guarantee of any return.
Or stands like my local Waitrose has - you only need an Allen Key to dismantle them!
IMG_0921.jpg
Ian
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

Thanks for the advice everybody. And my apologies for not doing a bit more research before asking the question. Having now done that research I know a bit more, and have a better idea how to proceed:

1. Supergluing locks happens, but not very often.

2. It's moderately easy to defeat the superglue, with either acetone or flame torch.

3. Even better is to prepare the lock for winter with grease or vaseline (to stop water getting in and freezing). If it's going to be left in situ I should do this anyway, and it would stop the superglue sticking to the mechanism.

4. Even if it happened, and I couldn't defeat the superglue, I'm in a large city, with good public transport, and it's only 4 miles home.

5. The bike isn't "cheap", sorry if I gave that impression. It would cost me about £1200 to get one the same. But it's not flashy modern, so not obviously expensive (no electronic shifting, hydraulic brakes, etc.). I'd hate it to go, but it's only a bike, not like losing a limb.

6. A super thick chain, with a heavy duty padlock, like this https://securityforbikes.com/proddetail ... 6-x.x-SS65 is a handy security device to have anyway, for things in the shed etc.

So maybe a chain as above (if I can stomach the cost), plus my Abus D lock for the front wheel, would be as secure as I can make it. Or for cheaper use the Abus and something else for the front wheel, maybe those security skewers.

The reassuring thing is that the superglue trick is rare, and solvable, with a bit of persistence, it seems.

Interesting that the author of this site https://thebestbikelock.com/ leaves their bike locked up, on the street, overnight, all the time.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The bike isn't "cheap", sorry if I gave that impression
And I'm sorry if I gave the impression I thought it was cheap. My point is that expensive-looking = desirable to thieves. Cheap = a bit less desirable to thieves. More desirable = more likely to go to some trouble to steal it.