Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Carlton green

Re: Supergluing bike locks - does it really happen

Post by Carlton green »

LancsGirl wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 11:25pm Thanks for the advice everybody. And my apologies for not doing a bit more research before asking the question. Having now done that research I know a bit more, and have a better idea how to proceed:
Thank you for asking the question and for sharing the information that you have found out. I see no need for anyone to apologise for asking cycling questions here and doubtless others - I have - will also gain something from the thread.

In my experience it’s possible to reduce the likelihood of theft and that might be enough for you to retain your possessions for a very long time. However if a sufficiently skilled and determined thief is aware of a desirable item then it will eventually get lifted by someone. My philosophy is: don’t have obviously desirable items, don’t display desirable items and do keep items as well secured as is practical. Leaving a desirable bike in a public place does display something that’s worth the risk and bother of stealing (it may or may not get noticed by a skilled, determined and active thief) so have good locks (to deter the less able), be prepared to get the bus home and be prepared to face the loss. It sounds like you have the locks, the bus fare and the attitude needed.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I always used to secure my bike with a D-lock in a position where it couldn’t be rotated and with the lock barrel facing down. That way it was awkward to tamper with and resisted the weather better. It was also treated to a squirt of cavity wax which, I would imagine, would make the superglue ineffective.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 9:28am If this method (superglue) of stealing bikes was common in a particular area, wouldn't the police know. I'd ask them, or possibly the local press.
The police will simply record that a theft has been reported. They won't inquire into the method used.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I used to keep an Abus motorbike lock on the stands at work. I was warned about the superglue thing, but I never had any problems. Our bike stands were not inside our secure area, but they were ca. 50 m from the security shack at the entrance to my work site. There was a sign indicating there was CCTV, but IIRC, the resolution wasn't good enough to help if any bikes were stolen or damaged.

What I did do was carry an extra gold rated D lock with me, in case I arrived to find that my motorbike lock had been damaged. If someone had superglued it whilst I was working, I likely would have taken advantage of industrial acetone on site. If that didn't work, I'd have called a locksmith, rather than leave my bike overnight. In other words, have a couple of back up plans.

It might be worth looking for a place inside your building, or nearby secure cycle parking to lock up or park your bike. It's possible that there is secure parking somewhere nearby (rail station?). I've parked my bike in various places at different work sites. Some examples are: the corridor to the building technical services, in an unused office, and at the empty desk next to mine. If someone complains, I ask for secure bike parking. Letting me put my bike where I want is usually less hassle, though the place where I parked my bike at the empty desk did eventually provide Sheffield stands next to the guard shack. The place where I parked in the corridor by the building technical services, I talked with the building security about it before I started parking there (and bought them doughnuts now & again)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Vorpal wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 12:41pmIn other words, have a couple of back up plans.
Wise words. For commuting and for touring.

It's much less stressful if you've thought through what you're going to do if bad stuff happens.

Jonathan
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 10:47am
simonhill wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 9:28am If this method (superglue) of stealing bikes was common in a particular area, wouldn't the police know. I'd ask them, or possibly the local press.
The police will simply record that a theft has been reported. They won't inquire into the method used.
I was more thinking of anecdotal, rather than the formal record. If common, it's an odd enough thing (I would have thought) to be remembered.

Maybe not.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Amica (-us) cum custodibus esse

Or something like that reduces the risk of a ride home on the omnibus.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

simonhill wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 12:53pm
Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 10:47am
I was more thinking of anecdotal, rather than the formal record. If common, it's an odd enough thing (I would have thought) to be remembered.

Maybe not.
Possibly. But first they would have to ask about the theft method and IME they don't do that.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I reckon I'd carry a lock with me just in case. A lightweight one, perhaps. That way, I'd know I'd always be able to lock up.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Zanda wrote: 4 Oct 2021, 2:51pm I reckon I'd carry a lock with me just in case. A lightweight one, perhaps. That way, I'd know I'd always be able to lock up.
Yes. I always have a D-lock and cable with me, whatever's going to be available at the far end.

Jonathan
Invicta Tourist

Post by Invicta Tourist »

I used to commute the few miles to work on a cheap three speed bike which I bought secondhand from an ad in the local newspaper. It's probably not particularly attractive to those looking to pinch bikes (it's quite scruffy looking externally), but it is very reliable. It cost me £15 in the year 2000- what a bargain!
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

Yes, I think I'd source a low value bike if I were regularly parking in the street, so that theft would be less of a concern. That bike would need to be just good enough for that journey. The £1200 bike can be kept for other rides.
irc

Post by irc »

LancsGirl wrote: 3 Oct 2021, 11:25pm 4. Even if it happened, and I couldn't defeat the superglue, I'm in a large city, with good public transport, and it's only 4 miles
For a 4 mile commute I would go with a cheap bike unless home storage is an issue.

To avoid commuting on my tourer (for salt road damage not security) I bought a cheap commuter which worked out fine. It was an Edinburgh Revolution 1x8. Fitted faster tyres and lights etc and it was fine for a 9 mile commute. Used it for 3 years or so before passing it on to my son who has used it almost daily for commuting in Cambridge for at least the last 12 years.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Or, depending on many constraints (e.g. money) get a folding bike (n+1) and take it inside whilst at work. Significant cost (probably) but it would be completely secure and would retain value if at some future time alternative transport switched to. Small offset against the costs not needing to buy those expensive locks, not pay for public transport.

Ian
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Commuting bikes need to be appropriate for the ride and the available storage. If the bike stands are in a vulnerable zone then best to have a cheaper bike as others have said. But, good bikes have to be used. I have commuted on my Thorn since 2006 and parked it in a shared bike stand with a gold standard lock in a relatively safe area outside my building. I could not justify its cost if I was only saving it for touring. Also, I want to enjoy the commute as much as possible since it is nearly the biggest mileage I do, not just endure an old rattler with all the maintenance it entails. For me, insurance and good locks have worked, for other locations I might choose differently.