Sprocket famine

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Tinnishill

Sprocket famine

Post by Tinnishill »

I needed a new drive sprocket for a Brompton; 14 tooth, 3/32, flat, 3 spline. The Sturmey part number is HSL944 or the part code for the otherwise identical Brompton version is QRSPR14DR . The Sturmey branded one is usually about £3 while the Brompton one is £6.

Drive sprockets, chains, tyres and brake blocks; these are consumables which we go through at a fair rate on small wheeled bikes like Bromptons.

Having tried eight online retailers (including Brompton's own website) I found only one shop had an example in stock; they wanted a fiver for the sprocket and a tenner for the post.

I used my bus pass for the first time in 18 months and took the hour long bus trip into the nearest city and spent the afternoon walking round bike shops; the fifth one had one (yep, one) in stock and wanted £14 for it. I bought it.

Have Brompton and Sturmey given up the notion of product support ?
Agitate, educate, organise.
st599_uk

Re: Sprocket famine

Post by st599_uk »

Not just those brands, there's a shortage of many parts, and those available are expensive.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

It has been reported many times that there is a shortage of all things bike. Mainly due to Covid and the shut down of places like Vietnam. Add to this problems with transport - ship stuck in Suez, shortage of containers, etc, etc.

My LBS has experienced severe shortages, but I don't blame them. If you can't get it, you can't sell it.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

How is the sprocket located on hub/freewheel??
Has anyone been able to turn sprocket 180* to present unworn front face to chain??
Get anther wearing?
If possible someone on here will have done it.
lIIRC 40 years ago it was possible to do this SHIMANO freewheel sprockets.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Wouldn't most Brompton owners want a 1/8" 14T sprocket?
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Tinnishill wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 1:54pm Having tried eight online retailers (including Brompton's own website) I found only one shop had an example in stock; they wanted a fiver for the sprocket and a tenner for the post.

I used my bus pass for the first time in 18 months and took the hour long bus trip into the nearest city and spent the afternoon walking round bike shops; the fifth one had one (yep, one) in stock and wanted £14 for it. I bought it.
Welcome to the wonderful world of the capitalist free market economy where you are encouraged to sell anything for as much as you can get away with.
Paul Smith SRCC

Post by Paul Smith SRCC »

Odd times regarding availability, hopefully things will improve. I have just checked two of the most popular cassettes from Madison the official Shimano distributor:

Shimano Ultegra : CS-HG800 11-speed cassette 11 - 34T Expected Availability On 6/04/2022
Shimano 105 : CS-HG700 11-speed cassette, 11 - 34T Expected Availability On 21/10/2022
Paul Smith. 37 Years in the Cycle Trade
My personal cycling blog, Bike Fitter at C & N Cycles
Member of the Pedal Club
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Probably Brexit related. Previously I've had no trouble getting cassettes, chains and chainrings but earlier this year I needed a chain, cassette and a chainring (left the chain on too long and it was impossible to ride with my spare new chain). So I went on eBay and there were only a few sellers had them and the prices had gone up considerably. I ordered them and several days went by and turned into weeks so I asked for and got a refund. When I re-ordered from different sellers, they arrived promptly. Eventually (a couple of weeks back) the first cassette I ordered (and had a refund for) turned up in somewhat battered packaging. I assume it had been kicking about some logistics facility for weeks waiting to be put on a vehicle.
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

FWIW, I started a near identical thread on the cassette drought back in May.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=146093&p=1610746#p1610746
geomannie
robc02

Post by robc02 »

lescargo wrote: 5 Oct 2021, 3:17pm How is the sprocket located on hub/freewheel??
Has anyone been able to turn sprocket 180* to present unworn front face to chain??
Get anther wearing?
If possible someone on here will have done it.
I've done it - not on a Brompton though.

Assuming the driver on the Brompton model is the same as a standard SA one, then the sprocket is a simple three spline fit and is held in place by a spring clip and a couple of spacers. The retaining clip is easily removed using a couple of smallish screwdrivers.

If your sprocket is not dished (I don't think the small ones are) you can just turn the old one around. If it is dished you will probably have to move the spacers around - it is possible that even then you won't get correct alignment.
Roy A

Post by Roy A »

Brompton sprocket sets (Including 14T sprocket, plastic chain guard, spacer and circlip) for 3 speed SA hubs are available from Brilliant Bikes - currently available for £12.50 with free delivery:
https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/brompton-r ... stack.html

Standard fit 13T sprocket sets are also in stock, however, these are £14.

As noted above availability of spares is an issue now, with prices increased well above inflation in many cases - it seems further increases will apply as new stock arrives.

I recently replaced the chain on my 3 speed Brompton, also replacing the 13T sprocket with a 14T version to help me on the hills. The parts were bought from Brompton in 2020 - in anticipation of the change later.
King of Mercia, Giant Defy, Raleigh MTB, Brompton M3L & S6L
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

1/8", though?
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/sprockets/s ... cp-hsl852/

i know its not the exact one and they do say contact them to arrange an order, always found sjs very good
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
mac

Post by mac »

I always used to reverse sprockets & chainwheels, with chainwheels it is often a good idea to move them around by one bolt hole to get even spread of wear over the whole circumference too.
Now into 'Boots & Scoots'.
lescargo

Post by lescargo »

Yes, me to, whenever possible.
I do rotate-one bolt hole, ULTEGRA middle, granny rings at annual strip down.
Can't reverse expensive middle ring with chamfered "ASSIST CHANGE"BOSSES!!!!
Now at 79 not wearing out 52,50 t ch/rings.