Tube to Thameslink at London Blackfriars With a Loaded Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
st599_uk

Re: Tube to Thameslink at London Blackfriars With a Loaded Bike

Post by st599_uk »

https://www.lcc.org.uk/advice/taking-yo ... -the-tube/

Outside of rush hour you're allowed on the District line (you're not allowed on the deep lines with a bike). But you're not allowed to use the escalator, so look for stations that don't have 150 step access.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
mjr

Post by mjr »

st599_uk wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:50am https://www.lcc.org.uk/advice/taking-yo ... -the-tube/

Outside of rush hour you're allowed on the District line (you're not allowed on the deep lines with a bike). But you're not allowed to use the escalator, so look for stations that don't have 150 step access.
The escalator ban on the LCC page is not shown on the TfL page it links to. Why would bikes be banned from them? It is much less disruptive than taking up lift capacity needed by people who cannot use escalators.

Also, the TfL cycle tube map includes Monument station which has no lifts. I don't remember if it is steps or escalators.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

mjr wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 10:11am
st599_uk wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:50am https://www.lcc.org.uk/advice/taking-yo ... -the-tube/

The escalator ban on the LCC page is not shown on the TfL page it links to. Why would bikes be banned from them? It is much less disruptive than taking up lift capacity needed by people who cannot use escalators.

Also, the TfL cycle tube map includes Monument station which has no lifts. I don't remember if it is steps or escalators.
I has Steps, I used it 2 weeks ago
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Thanks for all the replies. Looks good for Blackfriars - just found this on Mayoral website (Feb 2012):

"The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson will tour the station today (20 February) to see the improvements made to provide better connections between Tube and rail services, as well as to cater for growing passenger numbers. New lifts and escalators make the station easier to access and a curved glass façade floods the spacious new entrance hall with natural light."

Edit: From same source, this confirms it:

"Two lifts and four escalators have been installed in the new Blackfriars Underground station, making it the latest Tube station to become step-free. A further four escalators and seven lifts have been installed to serve the national rail platforms."

So lifts from tube and also up to mainline platforms.

I have travelled on the tube with my bike a few times, but coming the other way, and as I said via Victoria. That trip used to require going down a few stairs, then up stairs again at Tower Hill (which I think has a lift now).

I've used an escalator with a bike, no problem, but not with a fully loaded bike. Not sure I would fancy that.

Hopefully won't be too busy, anyway, I wait till rush subsides then go before next train comes.

The Thameslink trains seem like C2C which have that symbol on the carriage. I usually watch as the train comes in and spot where the carriages are. Usually every 4. Then it's a short run to nearest. Thameslink take bikes when I want to go.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Sounds good.
I'm not sure how many "bike carriages" there are per train, but you are probably OK with most doors whether they have a bike symbol or not..
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Re: Tube to Thameslink at London Bridge With a Loaded Bike

Post by MikeF »

mjr wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 9:12am
MikeF wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:27am From what you say perhaps many different train companies need better indication of their make up of units, including Cross Country and Thameslink eg facilities for wheelchair users and First Class etc.
I am hoping that Great British Rail will standardise on the old colour stripes of yellow for First Class and red for buffet plus Greater Anglia's additions of blue for wheelchair and green for bike space.
Agreed. A highly visible standardized colour system would be a boon. There needs to be a requirement for National compliance though. :roll:
I don't peddle bikes.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

MikeF wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:00pm
MikeF wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:27am From what you say perhaps many different train companies need better indication of their make up of units, including Cross Country and Thameslink eg facilities for wheelchair users and First Class etc.
I am hoping that Great British Rail will standardise on the old colour stripes of yellow for First Class and red for buffet plus Greater Anglia's additions of blue for wheelchair and green for bike space.
Agreed. A highly visible standardized colour system would be a boon. There needs to be a requirement for National compliance though. :roll:
Yes but who is campaigning for it?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Philip Benstead wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:52pm
MikeF wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 8:00pm

Yes but who is campaigning for it?
I've no idea. Sounds like something for cyclinguk.
I don't peddle bikes.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I'd be inclined to just cycle it from Fenchurch Street to London Bridge station - can't you protect the cardboard in some basic way if weather looks dodgy?

It's a pretty easy ride and pretty controlled traffic.

Fenchurch Street has lifts - london Bridge is now very modern after its amazing makeover and good for lifts.

Getting round London Bridge station is very easy these days (used to be Hellish) but its sheer size means that it's a hell of a trek from any underground line to the mainline station - when going through London as a pedestrian I always try to avoid changing from mainline to tube at London Bridge even though my local London station takes me straight into London Bridge.

Question - on your onward train journey are you by chance changing at East Croydon?
Sweep
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Hi Sweep - it's Blackfriars (I originally said London Bridge by mistake as Trainline call it London Blackfriars and I miss remembered).

According to Trainline it's a direct train from Blackfriars to Gatwick.

I will see how the bike rides. There is the equivalent of a bike box strapped to the top of my panniers. I don't know how stable this will all be. I don't want to have to overdo the strapping, etc. Any protection from rain is even more stuff to carry.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote: 7 Oct 2021, 3:14pm Hi Sweep - it's Blackfriars (I originally said London Bridge by mistake as Trainline call it London Blackfriars and I miss remembered).

According to Trainline it's a direct train from Blackfriars to Gatwick.

I will see how the bike rides. There is the equivalent of a bike box strapped to the top of my panniers. I don't know how stable this will all be. I don't want to have to overdo the strapping, etc. Any protection from rain is even more stuff to carry.
ah, sorry, I skim-read too fast.
For guidance for other folks on train stations and bikes, the national rail page at:
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations ... fault.aspx

is excellent on giving info about access to particular stations - for the benefit of disabled folk but of great use to loaded cyclists. Stations are graded on a letter scheme but there is also very detailed specific info - numbers of steps to specific platforms etc.

Out of london I tend to prefer stations with slope exits as am always nervous about lift malfunctions - TFL has a live page I think which will tell you about any lifts out of order at underground etc stations.

have a great trip.

oh edit - on your point about escalators and loaded bikes - DEFINITELY TO BE AVOIDED.

I foolishly tried this at Liverpool Street (pathetic lift provision despite being a modern made-over station) and nearly came a real cropper a couple of years ago. All well at first but as the escalator started to go up the heavily loaded bike started to fall back on me and I couldn't hold it. A very nice commuter, who could have wrecked some nice clothes, grabbed the bike almost before I realised what was happening and we thankfully both made it to the top, though something bust on my panniers. It could have been very dangerous.
Last edited by Sweep on 7 Oct 2021, 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

If Thameslink 12 carriage then bike carriages are 3 and 9
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Just done it and it was very easy.

My C2C train has place marked on platform for wheelchairs, so that was easy. Walked across the platform at Barking for District Line tube. 30 mins to Blackfriars. Lift from tube and lift to platform.

Fast train to Brighton, via Gatwick came within 3 mins. Very useful indicator board showed where bike carriages were. Only they weren't. I had to run down the platform. Eventually jumped on anywhere and propped my bike against luggage rack. Apologised to ticket man, but he said it was OK where I was. Train nearly empty.

All in all a very easy journey. Lifts all the way and no steps.

Thanks to everyone for their help.