Sore backside

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DaveyDave

Sore backside

Post by DaveyDave »

hi All,
So how do I avoid this then?. On the couple of touring trips I've done, I've always suffered badly after 4-5 days. It's difficult to explains but basically, it's the 'boney' bits of my backside that hurts. My saddle is a decent gel one which I bought to replace the harder orginal (on my Kona Lava Dome MTB).
Is there anything that can be done or is it just a case of getting used to it?.

Yours painfully,
Dave
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i had to change seatposts recently and had to use my old Kona saddle...which is a no-frills basic saddle...yet well worn in...

ive just changed back to my original saddle which is one of those bg or body-geometry makes of saddle...which has plenty of padding but seems to be uncomfortable!

did your old kona saddle give you any problems???
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

Soft & gel saddles are great for a short while, but they move causing friction within themselves & generating heat. That causes problems.

harder & apparently less forgiving saddles are better in the long run, but you have to let the saddle & your behind mold round one another over time....

Although I've yet to get one (still saving!) mant swear by leather saddles (Brooks, et al) as the leather will breathe and will shape itself over time to you, just as a pair of leather shoes do.
Captain Bb

Post by Captain Bb »

I've never got on with Brooks saddles and for me they get more uncomfortable as they 'break in'.

For me, the most comfortable saddle is the Selle Italia XO Trans Am anatomic saddle.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, Dave.

There ain't no easy way of finding a saddle or riding position that works for you. All bums are different, and all bodies too.

I used a Maddison G14 gel saddle for many many years, and always suffered albeit mildly. Then I discovered Brooks! I will never use anything different.

It works for me, and it works for millions of others too. However, it doesn't work for millions either!

I advise you persevere with what you have, but try adjusting the saddle position by degrees. Back and forth, up and down, tilted up or down. Small increments are the way, trial and error.

If it makes little difference, you're going to have to buy/borrow a different saddle and go through the same proceedure again.
Mick F. Cornwall
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

You're not using a backback are you?