Problem sorted by thick gel pad in shorts. Question.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Gearoidmuar

Problem sorted by thick gel pad in shorts. Question.

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Have had a problem for a couple of years. Uncomfortable on left ischial tuberosity and inclined to get pimples etc there, but not on right, for about two years. Tried various shorts saddles etc. Vaseline, no vaseline.
Recently back in my flat in Spain for first time in over a year and a half where I went cycling using a Madison shorts in which the problem was gone. Pad just thicker than the other shorts there. Now this one is XL which I normally take, but has no specific model on it.
I don't like bib shorts at all as I've a long back, 6.2 with 32 in legs. I need just shorts.
Does anyone know where I can get such shorts with a thick gel pad and what they're called?
Psamathe

Re: Problem sorted by thick gel pad in shorts. Question.

Post by Psamathe »

I need thicker padding on my shorts (though don't suffer in the same way as you - I suffer bruising). Best padded ones I've found are Endura FS260-Pro https://www.endurasport.com/fs260-pro-s ... 24526.html. They are Men's but for some reason their "technology/seat pads" page only describe their 600 pad under the women's section! and it's a pretty feeble description even there. If they might be suitable and you might be interested then maybe e-mail them for more details (I've e-mailed them once and they were not fast responding but they did).

Ian
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Thanks, Ian.. will try!
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I tried something different today, which also worked.

I wore a pair of Lidl padded shorts which are normally adequate but not spectacular, with a pair of Corrine Dennis shorts over the top.
This version has minimal padding but the second layer seemed to make a big difference.
Didn't look too weird either.

Although over longs it might well do.
However fashion isn't my strong point.
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

That is definitely true. I wear unpadded tights over shorts in winter and it's always more comfortable. I've met cycletourists wearing two pairs of shorts in my time!
RickH

Post by RickH »

Of course it depends somewhat on what is the cause of the "pimples" - a slight infection/reaction or pressure/chaffing.

Pressure or chafing wil probably be helped by better, not necessarily thicker, padding.

Infection will be helped by cleanliness. Many pads are antibaterially treated. Although some people can react to the chemicals in the treatments. For a number of years I got a reaction on my undercarriage from bio washing powders/liquids. I don't know if it me that has changed or the washing stuff but I don't seems to get that problem.

Having said all that...

I recently got a couple of pairs of Endura 3/4 FS-260 Pro bibs and have found the pads to be some of the best for comfort that I"ve tried. They are also antibacterial treated so should help with problems in that respect unless, of course, you suffer from a reaction to the treatment.

Hope that helps.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Aikon

Post by Aikon »

Psamathe wrote:I need thicker padding on my shorts (though don't suffer in the same way as you - I suffer bruising). Best padded ones I've found are Endura FS260-Pro https://www.endurasport.com/fs260-pro-s ... 24526.html. They are Men's but for some reason their "technology/seat pads" page only describe their 600 pad under the women's section! and it's a pretty feeble description even there. If they might be suitable and you might be interested then maybe e-mail them for more details (I've e-mailed them once and they were not fast responding but they did).

Ian
I was having this conversation with my riding buddy over the weekend as he was enthusing over the comfort of his FS260’s, (we rode for 22 hours Th-Sunday), Endura put a lot of R&D into their pads with the pad manufacturers & GeBiomized, even creating new techniques like the flame bonding of pad layers on some models where other brands use adhesive, which reduces breathability in the pad, when I worked for them I’d sometimes be involved in the field testing after prototyping, consequently I’ve still got a collection of random shorts I’m still wearing out!
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

LittleGreyCat wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 3:30pm I tried something different today, which also worked.

I wore a pair of Lidl padded shorts which are normally adequate but not spectacular, with a pair of Corrine Dennis shorts over the top.
This version has minimal padding but the second layer seemed to make a big difference.
Didn't look too weird either.

Although over longs it might well do.
However fashion isn't my strong point.
Whilst on my lejog I stupidly put my leather saddle in the bike store next to a massive oil fired boiler this dried out the poor saddle. My tender backside was not impressed and it was a cold damp day in fort William.

Then whilst eating my cooked breakfast an hour or so into my ride I thought... why not wear my tights over my shorts. Genius my backside was sorted and my legs too! They didn't come off till I got to jog!

Cheers James
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

RickH wrote: 6 Oct 2021, 6:12pm Of course it depends somewhat on what is the cause of the "pimples" - a slight infection/reaction or pressure/chaffing.

Pressure or chafing wil probably be helped by better, not necessarily thicker, padding.

Infection will be helped by cleanliness. Many pads are antibaterially treated. Although some people can react to the chemicals in the treatments. For a number of years I got a reaction on my undercarriage from bio washing powders/liquids. I don't know if it me that has changed or the washing stuff but I don't seems to get that problem.

Having said all that...

I recently got a couple of pairs of Endura 3/4 FS-260 Pro bibs and have found the pads to be some of the best for comfort that I"ve tried. They are also antibacterial treated so should help with problems in that respect unless, of course, you suffer from a reaction to the treatment.

Hope that helps.
Asymmetrical pressure, I've no doubt. I indent leather saddles which I've mostly done, more on the left. I can feel the difference when I sit on a saddle. I think the thicker/double padding diffuses this pressure. When I'm comfortable, I don't get pimples. It hardly is hygiene as I almost never get them on the right.