Conti Gatorskin sidewall issue

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
iainb

Conti Gatorskin sidewall issue

Post by iainb »

Hi folks

Just been checking my winter bike over and I noticed that on one of the Gatorskins what I can best describe as the brown lattice effect material on the sidewalls is coming away, is this structural to the tyre or just decoration so to speak - tyre is otherwise VGC. Thanks for any advice

Regards

Iain
Brucey

Re: Conti Gatorskin sidewall issue

Post by Brucey »

say hello to the tube coming out the sidewall....

IIRC the 'mesh' is all the strength in the tyre.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

No it isn't structural, the Duraskin is just a lightweight "kevlar" net that helps to stop sidewall cuts and rips. I played around with a knife on a used Gatorskin tyre, and the Duraskin net really does help against cuts.
--
Regards
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

But aren't the sidewalls of a tyre exactly the part of a tyre where you do not get cuts?
I should coco.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

this backs up what Peter says; it appears to show fabric layers beneath the mesh.

However if there are intact fabric layers beneath the mesh, how is it that a damaged Gatorskin tyre usually herniates as in the photo I posted earlier? I note with interest that they generally don't do this right away, it usually takes a while, but in my book any tyre with lumps sticking out the side has failed big time, regardless of the theoretical tyre construction.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

Valbrona wrote:But aren't the sidewalls of a tyre exactly the part of a tyre where you do not get cuts?

Sidewall cuts do occur, but they depend on terrain etc. I have only experienced one sidewall cut so serious that the tube blew, but then again, I generally ride on nice roads.

The problem is that fast lightweight tyres like Gatorskins almost per definition have thin sidewalls, so a rock or piece of broken glass hitting the sidewall may cut it open. Conti's Duraskin is a compromise that gives some extra protection, without sacrificing to much weight (I think the weight is 3 gr. per tyre) or introducing rolling resistance.
--
Regards
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

Brucey wrote:However if there are intact fabric layers beneath the mesh, how is it that a damaged Gatorskin tyre usually herniates as in the photo I posted earlier? I note with interest that they generally don't do this right away, it usually takes a while, but in my book any tyre with lumps sticking out the side has failed big time, regardless of the theoretical tyre construction.

I think the Duraskin mesh damage is a secondary effect of what caused the sidewall damage.

The Gatorskin was designed as a fast racer training tyre, and when introduced it actually had lower rolling resistance than most dedicated racing tyres (like Conti's own GP3000). It still is a fast tyre with a reasonable puncture protection (compared to other fast tyres), but the price to pay is weak sidewalls: Cuts, running them very underinflated, or small manufacturing faults damage the sidewalls easily.

Personally I have changed to the new Gator Hardshells (28mm) Their sidewalls have been reinforced, and the rubber is thicker. They are much better protected, but still fun to ride even though the rolling resistance must have increased.
--
Regards
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The only sidewall failure I've had on a Gatorskin tyre was when I lost the backend on a patch of moss on a rough surfaced road and went down.
I didn't notice anything until I got home,the "lattice" had been badly scuffed and the carcass was deformed.
The tyre was only a week old :( isn't it always the way?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mig

Post by mig »

i'd consider retiring that tyre pictured upthread mr brucey sir. :wink:
meic

Post by meic »

If you mean his first picture, I had that occur with an Ultragator after a few hundred miles, rather predictably I just put a patch inside to stop the inner tube peeping out any more and then happily road it for thousands more miles.

I do recall that the "cut" was perfectly radial, straight and in line with a line in the sidewall, I wonder if they failed to overlap the mesh but that doesnt explain how the tube got through the wound fibres of the carcass.

If you mean his second picture, not even I would try to ride with a cut like that in it. :lol:
Yma o Hyd
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

interestedcp wrote:No it isn't structural, the Duraskin is just a lightweight "kevlar" net that helps to stop sidewall cuts and rips. I played around with a knife on a used Gatorskin tyre, and the Duraskin net really does help against cuts.

This.

The mesh can be scraped off by scuffing against a kerb, which doesn't hurt, apart from being a bit unsightly. Anything that actually cuts the mesh is likely to also cut the underlying fabric of the tyre
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

andrew_s wrote:
interestedcp wrote:No it isn't structural, the Duraskin is just a lightweight "kevlar" net that helps to stop sidewall cuts and rips. I played around with a knife on a used Gatorskin tyre, and the Duraskin net really does help against cuts.

This.

The mesh can be scraped off by scuffing against a kerb, which doesn't hurt, apart from being a bit unsightly. Anything that actually cuts the mesh is likely to also cut the underlying fabric of the tyre

Which was my experience,related upthread.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

I've got the same problem except that the mesh is delaminating in 2-3" lengths around the rim, separating at the bead. I'd thought about emailing Continental, has anyone done this?

Interestingly I've chosen to ignore it simply because (as others have said) they seem to be such a rugged tyre.

I too cut a sidewall on a broken bottle (puncturing the inner tube) on a one week old tyre and just patched it from the inside temporarily and ignored the slight bulge at the cut. It never failed but my nerve ran out 4,000 miles and one year later so I replaced it!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mm

I had a brandnew Gatorskin explode on the sidewall as I was pumping it up for the first time.

Was a few years ago - maybe a bad batch - I had bought it in a sale and stored it and as I had the feeling I might not have stored it properly I never bothered to get a refund.
Sweep