The perfect gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Sue60N

The perfect gloves

Post by Sue60N »

I have a pair of sealzskin waterproof cycling gloves- good enough for the winter, contoured for gripping the handlebars, nice slim-fitting- cost me an arm and a leg a few years ago. Problem is when hands are wet/damp with the rain it’s a Herculean wrestle to get them on as the lining is a knitted grippy fabric, and as an off-roader I’m forever stopping and taking my gloves off for various reasons. I’m looking for an alternative that’s nice and easy to slip on and off- any recommendations? I’ll be buying online as I’m in a remote location.
roubaixtuesday

Re: The perfect gloves

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sue60N wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 7:57pm I have a pair of sealzskin waterproof cycling gloves- good enough for the winter, contoured for gripping the handlebars, nice slim-fitting- cost me an arm and a leg a few years ago. Problem is when hands are wet/damp with the rain it’s a Herculean wrestle to get them on as the lining is a knitted grippy fabric, and as an off-roader I’m forever stopping and taking my gloves off for various reasons. I’m looking for an alternative that’s nice and easy to slip on and off- any recommendations? I’ll be buying online as I’m in a remote location.
Two suggestions:

1. Use a synthetic liner glove - makes it much easier to slide the outer glove on and off

2. Neoprene gloves. Effective but sweaty.
Sue60N

Post by Sue60N »

A liner glove!! What a brilliant suggestion- I think you’ve solved my problem- thsnkyou
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Sue60N wrote: 9 Oct 2021, 9:57pm A liner glove!! What a brilliant suggestion- I think you’ve solved my problem- thsnkyou
I've bought several pairs of these over the years.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-l ... e=90739603
jb

Post by jb »

Ha, Karrimor, bet they've never seen Accrington. Still, I might try some I've always had problems with sweaty hands sticking in gloves, especially if you forget to hold the inner liner in place before removal.
Cheers
J Bro
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

You used to be able to get silk or synthetic liners intended for skiers if you want a bit of heat too.
Not bought any recently so not up to date with suppliers
Sue60N

Post by Sue60N »

Undoubtedly the Karrimor gloves will be made in China rather than Acci these days and I’m sure silk ones come from China too- i must say the idea of silk liners quite appeal but first I’ll check out whether there’s such a thing as extra fine wool liners
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Sue60N wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 10:08am Undoubtedly the Karrimor gloves will be made in China rather than Acci these days and I’m sure silk ones come from China too- i must say the idea of silk liners quite appeal but first I’ll check out whether there’s such a thing as extra fine wool liners
To enable easier removal of outers, I'd strongly recommend synthetic. They slide on far more easily than wool. Not tried silk.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have a pair of inexpensive suede leather gloves I bought from a garden centre on the Oxford ring road. They are very tough, a good close fit and work well for all autumn & winter weather except prolonged rain. They're a well-known brand, although I don't recall the name as I cut out the label soon after I bought them for about a tenner. Brilliant - wouldn't be without them.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Sue60N

Post by Sue60N »

Sound great- I could do a bit of foraging with those gloves too :wink:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I use Manual handling gloves can be bought from your local hardware store for about £2, but agree with Simon that Gardening gloves would do the trick.
NUKe

Post by soapbox »

Sue60N wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 10:08am Undoubtedly the Karrimor gloves will be made in China rather than Acci these days..
Karrimor haven't made anything in Accrington for 15 years.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Is there a perfect glove? For every ride?
I have several pairs and the ones I use are chosen with the weather conditions of the day.
It is like the the perfect bike. Different bikes suit different rides. One needs more than one! With or without guards for instance.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
james01

Post by james01 »

Mike Sales wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 5:59pm Is there a perfect glove? For every ride?
Nope :cry: