What To Wear In Winter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pebble

Re: What To Wear In Winter

Post by Pebble »

mjr wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 7:38pm
Hellhound wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 7:21pm [...] I shave my head and wear a paper thin lycra layer between my scalp and the helmet which is probably much less intrusive than a thick head of hair :wink:
Having said that I have never come across any guidance in any instructions from any helmet manufacturer regarding the wearing of skull caps or indeed cycling caps under a helmet.
If you want to argue about things under helmets I suggest you start a thread in the helmets sub-section :wink:
No arguing from me. Just advice that people should check the manual for their particular helmet. I believe some are fine with it (and I think some even sell things to wear under them), but others aren't. Specialized definitely used to warn against wearing any sort of caps under their helmets... and against voluminous hairstyles, too!
I gaffer tape the vents up on the helmet in the coldest of winter weather - also have sewn in ear flaps and wear a hat under it - I'm a cold soul, and don't like draughts.
jb

Post by jb »

nez wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 11:38am
jb wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 9:38am Those of us not allergic to saddle bags can change into a spare base layer at the half way point and be cosy warm in the café.
Trouble with saddle bags if you ride in a group is ‘could I put my jacket in your saddle bag?’ ;-)
Certainly - tea & cakes on you? :wink:
Cheers
J Bro
Blondie

Post by Blondie »

Depends on whether you use separate brake levers and gear shifters. But I find mitts are much warmer and lighter for the hands than gloves.

As for the rest.

Just running bottoms on bottom half.
Winter boots if a solid wet day or cold. Make sure your feet aren’t squeezed by thicker socks as that’ll cut off circulation. I wear cycling shoes one size up with thicker socks in winter.
Long sleeve wicking base layer
A combined mid / outer layer of either Vapourise or Alpha Direct materials
Just the usual cotton cap on head , supplemented with a buff underneath if really cold

Sees me through all conditions unless mild. In which case the mid / outer layer is replaced by a gilet or nothing in top of base at all.
nez

Post by nez »

jb wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 8:10pm
nez wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 11:38am
jb wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 9:38am Those of us not allergic to saddle bags can change into a spare base layer at the half way point and be cosy warm in the café.
Trouble with saddle bags if you ride in a group is ‘could I put my jacket in your saddle bag?’ ;-)
Certainly - tea & cakes on you? :wink:
Good answer mate. I'll borrow it.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

mjr wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 7:38pm
Hellhound wrote: 13 Oct 2021, 7:21pm [...] I shave my head and wear a paper thin lycra layer between my scalp and the helmet which is probably much less intrusive than a thick head of hair :wink:
Having said that I have never come across any guidance in any instructions from any helmet manufacturer regarding the wearing of skull caps or indeed cycling caps under a helmet.
If you want to argue about things under helmets I suggest you start a thread in the helmets sub-section :wink:
No arguing from me. Just advice that people should check the manual for their particular helmet. I believe some are fine with it (and I think some even sell things to wear under them), but others aren't. Specialized definitely used to warn against wearing any sort of caps under their helmets... and against voluminous hairstyles, too!
Bern helmets have winter liners , as many of the models also double as snowboard/ski helmets.
NUKe

Post by KM2 »

Velomobile, if I had the money.