What To Wear In Winter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
puffin

What To Wear In Winter

Post by puffin »

I've never really nailed cycle clothing, especially Winter attire. This year I'm going to get on top of it.

Reading through previous posts, Winter riding is dealt with by layers.

Can anyone give me pointers on what I need? Thanks in advance.
thirdcrank

Re: What To Wear In Winter

Post by thirdcrank »

The starting point for me is what type of Winter weather to you intend to ride in? If you are able to pick and choose, only going out if it's fine and dry but possibly very cold, then you don't need the wet weather togs some consider necessary for riding come what may.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

One layer :D
Buffalo Nov - April
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Paulatic wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 10:22am One layer :D
Buffalo Nov - April
Found that to be too warm for the bike - tremendous bit of kit for winter hiwalking and climbing, but too warm for cycling and too bulky to take for just the down hill bits.

For my winter cycling, (150 mile a week all year round whatever the weather) I don't wear that much more on my body, just may be a vest and t-shirt under my normal top, also carry a waterproof jacket which is good at keeping the wind out as well as rain. My main concentration is on keeping hands feet neck and head warm
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Thin layers.
I normally start with a merino base layer, them add a long sleeved thermal top.
If it's a bit cold for that then I add another base layer or cycling shirt.
I usually stay in shorts and have different thicknesses of socks. I found that Lidl do really good thermal socks.
Thin full finger MTB gloves usually do the job.
I try and stay away from wind/water proof layers as I sweat too much.
The key is to dress for how you'll feel in 20-30 min as you will warm up. And it's important to be not too hot as you will perspire and then get cold.
It's very much an individual thing and will need experimentation to get right
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

gazza_d wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 12:10pm Thin layers.
I normally start with a merino base layer, them add a long sleeved thermal top.
If it's a bit cold for that then I add another base layer or cycling shirt.
I usually stay in shorts and have different thicknesses of socks. I found that Lidl do really good thermal socks.
Thin full finger MTB gloves usually do the job.
I try and stay away from wind/water proof layers as I sweat too much.
The key is to dress for how you'll feel in 20-30 min as you will warm up. And it's important to be not too hot as you will perspire and then get cold.
It's very much an individual thing and will need experimentation to get right
+1
My combination is a thin Nordic polyester base layer (ex the now defunct Ozzo) a merino wool top (Aldi) then a windproof fronted fleece with a high, close fitting neck (ex Bike Jumbles). Over cycling shorts I add a pair of cycling trousers (not bib top or leggings; the trousers are warmer) and Pound Shop woolly leg warmers round the ankles. On the feet I use those ridiculously fluffy mega-tog socks (available at a market stall near you) inside some expensive but 'oh so worth it' oversize Northwave winter cycling shoes. Aldi, fleece lined, winter cycling gloves for the hands and for the head a fleece lined woolly hat (Thinsulate from a market stall near you - again). If it's truly sub-zero I add an Aldi buff around the neck and pulled up over the head under the woolly hat.

This lot copes with -5°C and bits can be removed as it warms. The key is 'mind the gaps' i.e. wrists, neck and ankles.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Pretty much whats been suggested with a few tweaks.My base is a "string" vest,(modern materials of course),long sleeve thermal jersey(both over 20yrs old) topped with various windproof gilets,depending on temp.Med. wt wool socks,neoprene overshoes NO zip ,just velcro and of a design that releases totally at the back.Cheapo thinsulate gloves with thin ones under,med wt.skull cap,thermal buff.Winter roubaix tights,windproof front.I don,t do rain and,being retired,manage 3-4 dry rides every week.
mac

Post by mac »

Basically the same as the rest of the year, but adding a warmer jacket, gloves, & scarf to the mix.
Now into 'Boots & Scoots'.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

This keeps me going all year, commuting at 6:45 am for an hour and the reverse at 4pm on.
Vest. (why all this modern twaddle calling it a base layer?) Poly prop thing. All much of a muchness and I have tried stacks over the last 40 years. Cycling jersey as it has pockets. Short sleeves in summer, arm warmers if needed and swap to long sleeves when the arm warmers are used for both trips. Wind proof gilet thing. Waterproof jacket. Often used for the first downhill mile even in the summer. Removed as I warm up and before the long hill on the way to work. Add thicker gloves in winter.
Shorts, knee warmers in the same way as arm warmers. 3/4 bibs when knee warmers are a fixture. Full legs when my feet are starting to freeze.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

You only really need one or two layers on your bottom half in winter. Get a pair of Roubaix fleece tights and they will be fine in most conditions. You can wear shorts underneath for extra padding and warmth. When it’s really cold (around freezing), I have a pair of 3/4 thermal bibshorts that cover my knees and I wear them under the tights.

I also wear a pair of Planet X neoprene overshoes over my summer cycling shoes and wear slightly thicker socks.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
audaxjk

Post by audaxjk »

My full on cold winter set up is a thick skull cap, thick neck warmer, winter grade jacket (was a cheap Decathlon end of season clear out) long sleeve merino base layer over a short sleeve base layer, roubaix bib tights, merino socks, thick neoprene booties, silk glove liners & lobster claw gloves (Aldi job and far superior to expensive full finger brands). To accommodate the thicker merino socks, I have a second pair of cycling shoes a half size larger than my usual ones. My record commute is minus 10 degrees!
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Similar to above, but two further recommendations:

(1) waterproof socks are also highly windproof, better than overshoes unless really arctic, when I use both.

(2) as a reynauds sufferer, electrically heated glove liners are a must below zero.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/acti ... ners-black
mjr

Post by mjr »

Due to skin problems, I've nearly always got quick drying cotton next to my skin, then outer upper layers from cotton or flannel shirts, merino or fleece jumpers, windproof or down jacket, waterproof cagoul or rain cape. Trousers with or without fleece lining. Reasonably waterproof shoes or full army-pattern boots with gutters.

I do sometimes have to compromise either speed or windproofing to keep the cotton layers dry but not so much that I'm cold.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

If anyone has a surefire way of cosseting cold-sensitive feet when the temperature drops below ~8 deg C I would like to hear about it. I have tried merino socks, overshoes, hiking boots, chemical foot warmers but still get numb, cold feet after less than hour when cycling.

However, I never get cold feet when hill walking in winter, presumably because the constant twisting and squeezing of the feet promotes blood circulation.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mjr wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 6:40pm I've nearly always got quick drying cotton next to my skin
There's an oxymoron if ever I heard one!
rotavator wrote: 10 Oct 2021, 6:54pm If anyone has a surefire way of cosseting cold-sensitive feet when the temperature drops below ~8 deg C I would like to hear about it. I have tried merino socks, overshoes, hiking boots, chemical foot warmers but still get numb, cold feet after less than hour when cycling.

However, I never get cold feet when hill walking in winter, presumably because the constant twisting and squeezing of the feet promotes blood circulation.
The flexing of the feet makes quite a lot of difference.
I remember skiing back to base one time (about 10 km in -35°C), me in fairly basic XC skis and boots, no insulation other than two pairs of ordinary hiking socks and fairly thin single layer leather boots, my mate with ski mountaineering kit with double boots. I was perfectly comfortable, he got frostbite and black toes.

Back home, more recently, I've become a convert to SPD sandals (no socks), which similarly don't restrict the circulation, and, with a bit of contemplation of rule 5 and my inner ruggedness, have extended their wearing conditions to "anything above zero". I was even moved to comment on arrival at the pub on one occasion, in 2 to 3°, how warm my feet had felt.

For the rest, I like to keep the core of my body warm - a string base layer (Brynje), a short sleeve top, a long sleeve top, and a gilet, and an extra layer if it's cold. If the core is warm, you can afford to skimp on the extremities, as the body just uses them as radiators to get rid of excess heat
Last edited by andrew_s on 10 Oct 2021, 8:31pm, edited 3 times in total.