Footpump recommendations please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Re: Footpump recommendations please

Post by danfoto »

Thank you for the suggestions of Clarke fp150 and the PCL. The Clarke on seems to be the same as the RAC one which is the same as most of the other branded ones on Ebay i.e. a poor quality Chinese thing with nice shiny paintwork and a naff plastic connector. I know the Heyner single-barrel one to be of good quality, but it's a bit expensive for me at £40. I'm therefore minded to take a punt on that PCL one.

Right then. I'm sorted, so let the usual thread drift continue!
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think it's worth mentioning that RAC n this context is not the Royal Automobile Club, but rather Ring Automotive Company who import and distribute all manner of stuff. I only know this because their premises are just down the road from me

https://www.ringautomotive.com/en/product/RFP2
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jonathan
jb

Post by jb »

What a coincidence the legs, rubber bits and lever arms are all exactly the same shape as mine that didn't come in a box....
Cheers
J Bro
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Right then. I'm sorted, so let the usual thread drift continue!
I'll take that as my cue.
danfoto wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 5:41pm Can anyone please recommend a footpump which

1. is built well enough to last more than a couple of uses
2. is readily available online
3. is not outrageously expensive (my edit "ie under £40.00")
4. has a connector which works reliably every time with Schrader valves?

BTW, I'm not interested in suggestions for an alternative to a footpump.
I think only item 4 is available, and even then screw-on might be better in the longer term than thumb-lock. There are a number of reasons for this under two broad headings. The first is that traditionally, footpumps have been used for cars and car drivers don't use them much any more. The second is that even the fatter sizes of bike tyre - typically those with schrader valves - need to be inflated to higher pressures than car tyres, again typically by a factor of around two. This is why effective bike pumps are long and thin(nish) rather than short and fat, so the ideal bike pump barrel is too long to work with the foot pump layout.

I'm not saying this in insurmountable, nor that it hasn't been surmounted, but I don't think it's readily available online sub forty quid.

PS Here's Ring

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.76975 ... 384!8i8192
jb

Post by jb »

I'm afraid the department for the design and continuous improvement of the 'foot pump' has long since been abandoned or turned into the company counselling department for people suffering from keyboard stress.
The blue prints hanging off the wall for prototype rigid frames, needle roller bearing pivots and super glide pistons with 10 bar SWP digital gauge auto shut off multy-valve clip fit heads guaranteed for 500 yrs or your money back, are now just a lost dream of the pneumatic tyre world.
Enter the USB charged high pressure instant gratification cool look sexy packaged inflatomatic Facebook compatible pump.
Cheers
J Bro
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

jb wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 12:43pm IEnter the USB charged high pressure instant gratification cool look sexy packaged inflatomatic Facebook compatible pump.
OOoo...do you have a link to that one? :D
jb

Post by jb »

rotavator wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:11pm
jb wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 12:43pm IEnter the USB charged high pressure instant gratification cool look sexy packaged inflatomatic Facebook compatible pump.
OOoo...do you have a link to that one? :D
Almost

https://www.condorcycles.com/products/m ... gKapfD_BwE
Cheers
J Bro
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

If it's not meant to be portable how about a rechargeable one like this....
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8814401 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jb wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 1:21pm Almost
Apart from not being sub forty quid, from the link
1 x push-on nozzle for Presta valves only
scottg

Post by scottg »

https://stompump.com/

60psi max, $70
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
pga

Post by pga »

Aldi today had pumps, both upright and floor models, at £6.99. Push on connections.
I prefer the screw on connections - fiddly but no loss of air when pumping.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

danfoto wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:26pm
rotavator wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:13pm ... I get the impression that most if not all footpumps that are currently available are of dubious quality ...
Exactly. That's what I've found. Hence the question, to which I hope we might both soon get a useful reply.
Here’s another user that has had mixed success buying a car type foot pump. Some do last and some do have a reliably useful pressure gauge but mostly I find that what’s supplied is more a pump shaped object (which is then pressed into what use I can extract from it) rather than something really useful, reliable and durable.

Because of poor experience I tend not to buy items branded by ‘motoring’ organisations.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.