Footpump recommendations please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Footpump recommendations please

Post by danfoto »

Can anyone please recommend a footpump which

1. is built well enough to last more than a couple of uses
2. is readily available online
3. is not outrageously expensive
4. has a connector which works reliably every time with Schrader valves?

BTW, I'm not interested in suggestions for an alternative to a footpump.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Jdsk

Re: Footpump recommendations please

Post by Jdsk »

I'm very happy with the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-m ... 7efb&_ss=r

Recent discussion of pumps:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139298

Jonathan
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 5:46pm I'm very happy with the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive:
https://ride.lezyne.com/products/1-mp-m ... 7efb&_ss=r

Recent discussion of pumps:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=139298

Jonathan
+1 for the Lezyne Micro (version with pressure gauge). Small enough to take on tour/everyday rides but with tab thingy for foot.

Ian
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Thank you, but what I want is a foot pump. Like this ...
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Lezyne micro is not my understanding of 'foot pump'.
I’d have thought Screwfix or Halfords the place to get a foot pump.

Edit OP cleared that up a minute before.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Paulatic wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 6:14pmLezyne micro is not my understanding of 'foot pump'.
Nor mine!
Paulatic wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 6:14pm I’d have thought Screwfix or Halfords the place to get a foot pump.
Indeed - but I want a reliable one for using to pump Schrader-valve tyres up to 80-odd psi when needed, rather than something that looks the biz but can't do it more than a couple of times. Hence my post ...
jb

Post by jb »

I think foot pumps are much of a muchness. They all use the same bits and are usually capable of pumping up a car tyre many times. Weather your heavy enough to put eighty psi in is up to you - eat more pies.
Cheers
J Bro
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

I am watching this thread with interest because I would like one myself. About two years ago I bought one from Halfords and it broke the first time I used it but luckily they gave me my money back. I get the impression that most if not all footpumps that are currently available are of dubious quality but I will be happy to be proved wrong.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

rotavator wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:13pm ... I get the impression that most if not all footpumps that are currently available are of dubious quality ...
Exactly. That's what I've found. Hence the question, to which I hope we might both soon get a useful reply.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

How about a Clarke's fp150??

Cheers James
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PCL was always good stuff and I see they are still in business https://www.pclairtechnology.com/single ... p-fp4h02-3
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

danfoto wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:26pm
rotavator wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:13pm ... I get the impression that most if not all footpumps that are currently available are of dubious quality ...
Exactly. That's what I've found. Hence the question, to which I hope we might both soon get a useful reply.
Me too. That is why I peruse eBay on the look out for a "vintage" one that I can strip and maintain, just like I did years and years ago unlike the modern rubbish I have right now. I also prefer a screw on valve fitting rather than the push fit with a lever which I find wears out after about 10 years.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

rotavator wrote: 11 Oct 2021, 7:13pm I am watching this thread with interest because I would like one myself. About two years ago I bought one from Halfords and it broke the first time I used it but luckily they gave me my money back. I get the impression that most if not all footpumps that are currently available are of dubious quality but I will be happy to be proved wrong.
Yes, my Halfords foot pump gave up the ghost a few months ago too.

Happily, I then discovered that inflating anything up to and including car tyres is much easier and quicker with my Joe Blow.
jb

Post by jb »

Once did my back in blowing a car tyre up with a track pump. The last foot pump I bought was poorly built but manages to keep going for the odd time it's needed. Electric compressors seem to have taken over the job now. Keeps the fag lighter socket in gameful employment :lol:
Cheers
J Bro
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Sealey ones are slightly better made than the ones in Halfords, which are made from cheese.