Replacement key for D-lock

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
NewBornBaby

Replacement key for D-lock

Post by NewBornBaby »

Anyone know where I can get replacement keys for a couple of D-locks? They're the barrel type of keys.
Jdsk

Re: Replacement key for D-lock

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

What makes are the locks, please?

Jonathan
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Have you lost the keys or just broken one?

I ask as I've just broken the plastic loop holding the key for my shopping d lock to the keyring. Spare key and code is in the desk drawer at work 20 odd miles away

On back of a suggestion on twitter, I've just ordered some steelstick metal epoxy putty to make a new holder and loop.
NewBornBaby

Post by NewBornBaby »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 9:49am Welcome.

What makes are the locks, please?

Jonathan
One is Specialized. Not sure about the other one.
NewBornBaby

Post by NewBornBaby »

gazza_d wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 5:05pm Have you lost the keys or just broken one?

I ask as I've just broken the plastic loop holding the key for my shopping d lock to the keyring. Spare key and code is in the desk drawer at work 20 odd miles away

On back of a suggestion on twitter, I've just ordered some steelstick metal epoxy putty to make a new holder and loop.
I have lost the spares. So only have one key which feels a bit risky to me.
gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

Have you tried the likes of timpsons or a local key cutting shop to get a replacement cut? If they can't then they may know someone locally who can

Most manufacturers of decent locks also do a replacement service if you have the code and proof of purchase..
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

What's a barrel type of key? As in a tubular lock? With the 'keyhole' being a round circle?

Might be worth bearing in mind that most of this type of lock are highly vulnerable to self impressioning attacks and can be opened with cheap and readily available tools. It's rather lower risk these days as they're now uncommon on bike locks having once been near ubiquitous so it's not an attack that's in the average thief's portfolio.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
NewBornBaby

Post by NewBornBaby »

Yes, that type of lock. Thanks for the warning, wondered why they've disappeared from the market.
I've had the lock for years, might be time for an upgrade.