what is your oldest piece of cycling kit?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bmblbzzz

Re: what is your oldest piece of cycling kit?

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Fishnet t-shirt = string vest for hipsters? Or something more risque?
nez

Post by nez »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 12 Oct 2021, 2:19pm It struck me that perhaps the OP meant clothing?

Rather than puncture repair kit and the like.

An age thing?
Change in meaning?
Militarisation of the English language? :shock:
I'd never trust a puncture repair kit over about 18 months. I've had too many go off - hard glue and patches which are unreliable. Even unopened
nez

Post by nez »

Audax67 wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 2:03pm I still have a Dunlop Long Cycle Repair Kit from the early 60s, complete with a spare valve rubber, talc puffer and a couple of steel (alloy?) tyre levers. Haven't used it since the 60s, but it's still in the bits box in the workshop.
My dad used to line cup hooks with those valve rubbers. God knows why he felt the need to cushion our cups - they were plain things.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I have a cast iron wheel building stand which was apparently recovered from the Raleigh factory in Nottingham when it shut. Various estimates put it at 80-100 years old, still going strong!
peetee

Post by peetee »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 25 Oct 2021, 5:43pm Fishnet t-shirt = string vest for hipsters? Or something more risque?
Yeah, er... I didn’t know how to describe it without sounding...er, well, you know.
Not made of string, it’s cotton cross-woven so there are loads of holes in it.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen pro riders in the 80’s and 90’s wearing something similar.....
Well, that’s my excuse, anyway you care to look at it! :lol:
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rjb

Post by rjb »

i worked in the nuclear industry until i retired. Occasionally we had to dress up in full body suits to enter hazardous areas. We were issued with a full set of underwear to wear beneath the hazard suit. The dressers always kept the string vests for the ladies. They waited for there response with glee. Not sure this would be acceptable now, but it provoked a bit of jollity into the occasion :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
nez

Post by nez »

rjb wrote: 26 Oct 2021, 3:01pm i worked in the nuclear industry until i retired. Occasionally we had to dress up in full body suits to enter hazardous areas. We were issued with a full set of underwear to wear beneath the hazard suit. The dressers always kept the string vests for the ladies. They waited for there response with glee. Not sure this would be acceptable now, but it provoked a bit of jollity into the occasion :lol:
Tricky question, but does your post imply ladies would be obliged to strip down to the buff and then put on string underclothes? I can imagine that provoking some resistance.