Permissive paths/tracks on maps

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Permissive paths/tracks on maps

Post by PT1029 »

Does anyone know how/if permissive paths/tracks are marked on OS and/or OSM maps? Are they marked as per a normal public footpath/bridle path, or not marked?
I know of one marked on on OSM (Rt 442 at Charlbury), but what of ones that are not part of a designated/marked cycle route?

Thanks
Oldjohnw

Re: Permissive paths/tracks on maps

Post by Oldjohnw »

John
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Printed OS maps get a bit out of date, one I bought this week was last updated 5 years ago so, whatever the marking, they can be wrong.
Councils will have a definitive map for public rights of way. For Essex the public rights of way are available on-line.
As some permissive routes could also be public rights of way, (e.g. OK to cycle on a track that otherwise only has a footpath on it) there may not be a definitive reference for councils or the OS to refer to.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

A permissive path that's not a right of way or part of a cycle route will just be marked with black pecks, either single or double according to path or track. It's local knowledge to distinguish them from private.
If there are coloured dots along it, it's either a cycle route, or it's a degenerated public road that's still got public access as a road
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

See too here.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

PT1029 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 7:28amI know of one marked on on OSM (Rt 442 at Charlbury), but what of ones that are not part of a designated/marked cycle route?
My backyard! :)

There are a thousand different renderings of OSM data but I'm not aware of one that explicitly marks permissive bike access. I did wonder if it's something Andy Townsend's map would do (https://map.atownsend.org.uk/maps/map/map.html), which is very good on rights of way, but seemingly not.

cycle.travel boils down all the various permutations of access to a simple "can you cycle on it?" and "what's the surface like?". So if there's a public footpath with permissive cycle access, it'll show in cycle.travel as a cyclable path (and the turn-by-turn instructions will expressly say "cyclable path" rather than "cycleway").
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Thanks all.
I'd had a route (well 2 actually) submitted to go on our club's rides list and website, and wanted to be sure before using them.
One has nothing on the various maps, but I have been told it has a sign saying permissive use, and it is closed on 1st/2nd January which would add to the permissive use case.
If anyone is interested, near Abingdon, a back entrance into Millets Farm (coffee stop etc) from Garford, so avoiding the delightful A415.
The other is as vet unresolved, up on the Downs near Lambourne.
I hope they are both permissive, the routes have been copied from another clubs rides list!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

cycle.travel boils down all the various permutations of access to a simple "can you cycle on it?" and "what's the surface like?"
Excellent!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

andrew_s wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 9:29am A permissive path that's not a right of way or part of a cycle route will just be marked with black pecks, either single or double according to path or track. It's local knowledge to distinguish them from private.
If there are coloured dots along it, it's either a cycle route, or it's a degenerated public road that's still got public access as a road
That's a common misconception, caused in no small part by the confusing colour codes on OS maps.

On the 1:25 000 OS maps:
Orange dots mean "Traffic-free cycle route"
Green dots mean "other routes with public access". That does not necessarily mean there is cycle access. It could just be pedestrian access. You have to check with the local authority or the landowner to be sure (or go and look to see if there's a sign). As OS unhelpfully adds, "The exact nature of the rights on these routes and the existence of any restrictions may be checked with the local highway authority."

On the 1:50 000 (Landranger) maps:
Green dots mean "Cycle route" (block coloured for on-road, hollow for offroad)
Red dots mean "other route with public access" (again, not necessarily cycle access).
soapbox

Post by soapbox »

Permissive footpaths and bridleways on OS 1:25,000 Explorer maps are marked by orange small dashes and long dashes respectively.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The OS can be very slow to catch up with changes. I know of council owned cycle tracks that are designated rights of way and have been in use for ten years, but are still not shown on OS maps.

If a route is open, is being used by others without any apparent objections from the landowner, and there are no signs to indicate you are doing something wrong, I'd treat the route as a legitimate one until and unless a problem arises.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Richard Fairhurst wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 1:48pm
PT1029 wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 7:28amI know of one marked on on OSM (Rt 442 at Charlbury), but what of ones that are not part of a designated/marked cycle route?
My backyard! :)

My front yard!
John
drossall

Post by drossall »

Councils round here have negotiated networks of permissive paths. Many of them aren't marked at all on OS maps, let alone as rights of way. Hard to see how the map-makers could keep up.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

PT1029 wrote: 18 Oct 2021, 4:29pm Thanks all.
I'd had a route (well 2 actually) submitted to go on our club's rides list and website, and wanted to be sure before using them.
One has nothing on the various maps, but I have been told it has a sign saying permissive use, and it is closed on 1st/2nd January which would add to the permissive use case.
If anyone is interested, near Abingdon, a back entrance into Millets Farm (coffee stop etc) from Garford, so avoiding the delightful A415.
The other is as vet unresolved, up on the Downs near Lambourne.
I hope they are both permissive, the routes have been copied from another clubs rides list!
Generally speaking most permissive paths are not shown on maps, but routes marked on 1:25,000 maps with green dots are usually permissive cycle routes, also some sections of marked Sustrans routes follow permissive routes where Sustrans has negotiated access with the landowner.