starting again aged 70ish

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
after 30 years

starting again aged 70ish

Post by after 30 years »

Hi Everyone
I was wondering if I could ask for help please?

My husband and I wish to start cycling again. I have resurrected my Dawes Super Galaxy, he has yet to find a bike he likes. I have started very short runs. Much has changed since we cycled. (I used to commute on my bike, many years ago).

What advice would you give us? Where should we start? I like the idea of riding in a group but know that I would probably be very slow. Is there something out there for people of a more mature vintage?

Thank you for your help
TrevA

Re: starting again aged 70ish

Post by TrevA »

Contact your local CyclingUK/CTC member group, if it’s anything like ours you will find lots of people of a similar age to ride with and different ability groups based on speed. You may also find other groups locally. My own cycling club has official rides on Weds, Sat and Sun and unofficial ones on Mondays and Fridays.

If you are not confident on busy roads, then drive or catch a train to somewhere where there’s not so much traffic and ride from there. Start off with short rides and slowly build up your distance and fitness.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Depends where you live, but there are quite a few start up groups for older people starting cycling... some are run via the local councils so Library notice boards or council websites might be one starting place. As said CTC/CUK local group and also consider looking at British cycling for any Breeze rides.... they tend to be female only but may 'allow' or have rides where men can join in.

Sounds like you have made a good start by getting out and doing some short miles.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Check if you have a local U3A group that does bike rides.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

after 30 years wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 11:01am Hi Everyone
I was wondering if I could ask for help please?

My husband and I wish to start cycling again. I have resurrected my Dawes Super Galaxy, he has yet to find a bike he likes. I have started very short runs. Much has changed since we cycled. (I used to commute on my bike, many years ago).

What advice would you give us? Where should we start? I like the idea of riding in a group but know that I would probably be very slow. Is there something out there for people of a more mature vintage?

Thank you for your help
Easy, it's just like riding a bike...........

.........oh.

It does help to have a local group to ride with, because it gets you out when you're not 100% sure that today is a riding day.
Mainly I think you need to ride at least twice a week to build up fitness, and after that the world is your mollusc of choice.

You don't say whereabouts you live.
This might help with the suggestions.
busb

Post by busb »

Welcome!
Depending on where you live, I'd consider riding well away from traffic if possible - that will get your confidence back. If your bike hasn't been used for a long while, check your tyres are still rideable in particular. My local CUK group caters for all ages, types of riding & abilities - I'm sure you'll get a warm welcome!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

You may already have twigged that the biggest change has been the traffic. If you are, as I suspect, not intending to commute, then you may be able to avoid traffic completely, at least until you are both more comfy with it.

Post with your location and you may be surprised how many traffic-free recreational routes are available.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

If you can't find a group you think might be right for you, ask any other group to see if they know of any other local groups.
If you want to find traffic free routes, try; - https://www.opencyclemap.org/ (click "key and more info" bottom RH corner for the map key).
Assuming you are retired, some roads will be quiet during the working day but busy during commuting times and.or the weekend.
Bikes are in short suppy at the moment due to Covid etc and probably will remain so for a while yet, so the choice might be limited. If he still has his bike, an option might be to get it refurbished (possibly converting to flat bars if he doesn't like dropped bars anymore).
Well done for restarting!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

You don't say exactly how long it's been since you last enjoyed regular cycling but if the interval is the 2 decades it could very well be, I think you will amazed at the amount of sophisticated gadgetry that's appeared over the years that can benefit riders in loads of ways. Amongst my own favourites are:
* a 'leccy-powered Brompton
* GPS mapping devices
* an excellent online tool for planning almost any sort of cycling route - link here
There are many online mapping tools available but the one linked above is cycle-specific and benefits from having its developer a regular reader, here on this very forum. It has a built-in tool that lets you choose a circular route around any given starting point, with a slider to control the total milage - you might find that fun, while you find out more about social riding and nearby clubs - where are you based, approx.?
screenshot of cycle.travel circular route tool
screenshot of cycle.travel circular route tool
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Good decision.

Where are you, please?

Have fun

Jonathan
after 30 years

Post by after 30 years »

Hi everyone
Several people have asked for our location. We are east London Essex borders. Thank you for all the replies so far thaty are really helpful .
kind regards
Elaine
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have a friend whose dad lives in Billerickay - other than that, I have no knowledge of such a place! :wink: Good luck with your endevours - hope everything goes well.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

after 30 years wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 5:21pmWe are east London Essex borders.
Would any of the Lee Valley routes be suitable?
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/walki ... ing-routes

Jonathan
after 30 years

Post by after 30 years »

Very much so, thank you. .We are in the situation where we don't know what we don't know!
Fabulous replies. Thank you everyone!
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

after 30 years wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 5:21pm Hi everyone
Several people have asked for our location. We are east London Essex borders. Thank you for all the replies so far thaty are really helpful .
kind regards
Elaine
I would suggest The Forty Plus Cycling Club

https://www.fortypluscc.co.uk/

It has groups based in east London and Essex
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic