starting again aged 70ish

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Psamathe

Re: starting again aged 70ish

Post by Psamathe »

I restarted cycling a few years after moving to a new region. I'd been driving for transport and thought I knew the area well. But starting cycling I discovered loads and loads of lanes I'd never appreciated - driven past them but never taken them as no need to get to and from supermarket or wherever. So starting cycling opened up what was in effect a new area, lots I'd never seen despite having lived here for a few years.

Ian
slowster

Post by slowster »

If you find a group that you like riding with, you would probably find that you wanted the same sort of bike as the rest of the group. So if they were riding touring bikes and mostly on road, that is what you would want. Equally they might ride enough on bridleways and tracks that they (and you) preferred MTBs or similar. Conversely, your choice of a group to ride with might be influenced more by your own preference for a particular type of riding or terrain. In other words, there's possibly an element of chicken and egg in your situation.
after 30 years wrote: 19 Oct 2021, 6:07pm we don't know what we don't know!
I think that you need to do some riding on the roads and possibly the tracks and bridleways in your area, which should help you decide what your preferences and priorities are. Can your husband borrow a bike for now, while you get started?
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

rediculous question. just get on it and ride. can you remember how to walk? 8)
after 30 years

Post by after 30 years »

Hi Everyone
Thank you for the 40+ group. I will definitely follow that up.
We re going to arrange a hire of a bike for my husband fof a few weeks time when his elbow fracture has healed.

I have been cycling down local roads. Some of the bike lanes are in quite creative places and then just disappear. Are cyclists supposed to disappear when the bike lane does? (slightly flippant question).

Very much looking forward to getting on the bike again.

Thank you again
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

after 30 years wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 7:16pm ....
I have been cycling down local roads. Some of the bike lanes are in quite creative places and then just disappear. Are cyclists supposed to disappear when the bike lane does? (slightly flippant question).
It is one of my great dislikes where a cycle lane runs for a few meters, then you rejoin the road for a few meters then back on another short section of cycle lane for a short distance before rejoining road ..... How much of that you get probably depends on where you live or even the small area where you live. In my area one town had a horrible cycle path continually on and off the road (it was also a shared pedestrian path). I don't like re-joining the road so I just stay on the road (which I believe is legal) - but a lot will depend on the road but if you are rejoining it anyway after a short distance ...

My feeling from what others have said is it probably happens when Highways want to up their cycle lane distance without doing very much so a few signs on an inappropriate path and they still get their "we added <x> miles of cycle paths" in some status report to convince higher authority.

Ian
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I wouldn't worry too much about joining a group. Best to just get out and ride at your own pace, as far a you want. Once hubby is fit, bring him gently along.

Any group will have its own pace that may or more likely not exactly suit. Once up to speed and confidence, then look for group to join, if that's what you want.

Personally, I'd rather ride on my own, most if not all the time. Much less pressure, much more flexibility.
after 30 years

Post by after 30 years »

Thank you, I think I will do this
Have a lovely day
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

simonhill wrote: 20 Oct 2021, 10:43pm I wouldn't worry too much about joining a group. Best to just get out and ride at your own pace, as far a you want. Once hubby is fit, bring him gently along.

Any group will have its own pace that may or more likely not exactly suit. Once up to speed and confidence, then look for group to join, if that's what you want.

Personally, I'd rather ride on my own, most if not all the time. Much less pressure, much more flexibility.
I find the same. When I restarted cycling 8 years ago I was looking around for groups (incl. local CTC group) but found going where I want, at the speed I want, when I want, slowing to look at nice countryside was what I enjoyed. I rarely have a route but mostly decide I'll head out in a direction than at each junction, if I'm feeling energetic or not been to an area for some time, might turn left or if tired or looks like rain, might turn right. I generally head out broadly into the wind so as my legs tire, I have an easier ride back. I depart home when I'm ready. I enjoy the freedom. Local groups in my area seem to pre-decide ride destinations many weeks in advance.

Others enjoy the social aspects of group rides.

No reason not to do either or both. Just find the aspects they you enjoy about going out for a ride and what provides them.

Ian
after 30 years

Post by after 30 years »

Many thanks for the advice. I have begun to cycle more by myself.... hopefully will be fitter this time next year!