crimping tool - good buy or white elephant?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
pete75

Re: crimping tool - good buy or white elephant?

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:12pm Blast& Balderdash!! I just splashed £19 for the tool & a 40 piece set! That's a difference of several "adult beverages", even by Bristol's craft brewery prices !! Good Spot, dd :D
It's mainly an insulation stripper, which it's good at, but hasn't got a ratchet like your crimper relying only on how hard you can squeeze the handles. Yours has a vastly superior crimping action.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:48pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:13pm
DevonDamo wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:00pm Lidl are selling a crimping tool from next Thursday for £7.99. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-tools/park ... set/p46734

Lidl's 'Parkside' brand covers the full range from excellent to awful, so I wouldn't have particularly high expectations over this thing, but there's never any drama about returning stuff so it's a risk-free punt.

A word of advice from a qualified radio engineer. Unless you're really worried about the health aspect, avoid lead-free 'solder.' There's no such thing. Solder is an alloy of lead and tin, always has been and always will be. Accept no substitutes.
I'm not sure what you are saying here, are you implying that "lead free solder" contains lead?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

PhilD28 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 3:41pm
Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:13pm
DevonDamo wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 12:00pm Lidl are selling a crimping tool from next Thursday for £7.99. https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-tools/park ... set/p46734

Lidl's 'Parkside' brand covers the full range from excellent to awful, so I wouldn't have particularly high expectations over this thing, but there's never any drama about returning stuff so it's a risk-free punt.
A word of advice from a qualified radio engineer. Unless you're really worried about the health aspect, avoid lead-free 'solder.' There's no such thing. Solder is an alloy of lead and tin, always has been and always will be. Accept no substitutes.
I'm not sure what you are saying here, are you implying that "lead free solder" contains lead?
That's what I guessed on first reading. But now I think that it means that it isn't "proper" solder...

Jonathan
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 3:57pm
PhilD28 wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 3:41pm
Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 2:13pm A word of advice from a qualified radio engineer. Unless you're really worried about the health aspect, avoid lead-free 'solder.' There's no such thing. Solder is an alloy of lead and tin, always has been and always will be. Accept no substitutes.
That's what I guessed on first reading. But now I think that it means that it isn't "proper" solder...

Jonathan
Oh I see, I think most who have used both would agree on the benefits of leaded solder but of course lead free solder is still solder and is the term used by 100% of the industry.
I use leaded solder for pipework maintenance jobs where leaded solder was previously used but only in non potable water systems but of course lead free for potable water.
For wiring my preference is still leaded solder for lots of reasons and I keep a roll handy. On bike wiring I use crimps.
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhilD28

Post by PhilD28 »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 4:45pm I wasn't suggesting that lead-free solder contains lead. I don't know what it does contain as a substitute for lead, and I'm unlikely ever to find out, because I won't be using it. I spent most of my life drinking water supplied through lead pipes, not just copper pipes joined with lead solder, and I'm still here and fighting fit. All this health and safety stuff is nonsense, in my opinion. The evidence connecting ill-health with lead, whether in solder, paint or petrol, was far from conclusive. They'd be better investigating the health effects of mobile phone signals and electricity power lines, but those concerns, much discussed about twenty years ago, seem to have been hushed up. Powerful commercial interests have powerful friends.
I'm sorry but a study of the health one individual isn't a robust enough methodology regarding the non risks of lead as a neurotoxin. I suggest prior to anyone who thinks health and safety re lead is nonsense that they read this. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/188365304.pdf
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Oct 2021, 6:06pmBefore the invention of the microscope and more advanced instruments, and the classification of elements, was our ancestors' understanding of the world so incomplete?
Yes.

And never before have so many people known so much about the world that is actually true.

Jonathan
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

gazza_d

Post by gazza_d »

I think a crimping tool is a useful addition and not a white elephant although the one I currently have is very poor and not much better than a pair of pliers.

A decent crimped joint can be strong and reliable. Plenty of auto connections are crimped for example.

There will be a trip to Lidl next Thursday. That looks like a bargain
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I know nothing about the quality, but from today as one of its weekly specials Lidl is doing a crimping tool set.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/diy-tools/park ... set/p46734

Would be interested in feedback from anyone who gets in and gets one early, or has bought one before if they've sold it before.
Sweep
alexnharvey

Post by alexnharvey »

Sweep wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 7:01am I know nothing about the quality, but from today as one of its weekly specials Lidl is doing a crimping tool set.

Would be interested in feedback from anyone who gets in and gets one early, or has bought one before if they've sold it before.
It's really primarily an automatic wire stripper with a very limited crimping function tacked on. If you want a crimper buy a ratcheting crimping tool.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

alexnharvey wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 9:56am
Sweep wrote: 28 Oct 2021, 7:01am I know nothing about the quality, but from today as one of its weekly specials Lidl is doing a crimping tool set.

It's really primarily an automatic wire stripper with a very limited crimping function tacked on. If you want a crimper buy a ratcheting crimping tool.
thanks - the ratcheting type is the one Simon bought I take it?

edit - confirmed above by pete I see - left here for ratcheting stress.
Sweep
jimster99

REMOVED

Post by jimster99 »

REMOVED
Last edited by jimster99 on 15 Mar 2023, 4:02pm, edited 2 times in total.