Opinion on Bike-Hut D Lock for Beginner ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
cohen23

Opinion on Bike-Hut D Lock for Beginner ?

Post by cohen23 »

I have bought a secondhand Trek 810 Single Track from Ebay as a way to get fit and to get out and about.
I want to buy the best bang for the buck D Lock for under £10 pounds ( as the bike isn't worth much but will create peace of mind when securing it to a post ). I wanted some advice / opinion / experience on the following two locks:

1) Used Magnum Plus D Lock with keys but no mounting bracket, and it weighs 1.3kg ( which means having to carry it around, which becomes an absolute pain after a while ) its 11 inches in height and six inches across for £10 including postage.

2) New Bike Hut Shackle Lock / D Lock. I know its a Halfords Brand, but when you look at the reverse of the packaging ( bottom left ), it says 'Made In Germany' in association with Abus. Isn't Abus a good make and a sign of quality, if they have made this Bike Hut Lock for Halfords?. It also comes complete with the bike mount ( which means no having to carry it around in a bag when cycling ). Its 11.8 inches in height ( so a slightly lengthier shackle than the Magnum ) for £12 including postage. Picture and packaging attached below:

This is the link to the picture of the Bikehut D Lock: https://imgur.com/a/8mV6fSg

I am tempted by the Bike Hut D lock as Chinese branded d locks sell for the same money on ebay.

Does anyone have experience of Bike Hut Locks ( particularly the one in the picture ? )
Psamathe

Re: Opinion on Bike-Hut D Lock for Beginner ?

Post by Psamathe »

One aspect to double check is, if the bike is insured (either seperately or as part of your house insurance), does the insurance cover place any requirements on the locks (e.g. "Gold"). My own insurance provides does not but I gather others sometimes do.

Also, consider how you will be locking it and what you will be locking it to. How will the front wheel be secured? I used to carry a D-lock and a cable.

Ian
thirdcrank

Re: Opinion on Bike-Hut D Lock for Beginner ?

Post by thirdcrank »

I want to buy the best bang for the buck D Lock for under £10 pounds ( as the bike isn't worth much but will create peace of mind when securing it to a post )
At that price point, crime prevention is likely to be pure luck, rather than lock. I'd suggest buying the one whose appearance gives you most peace of mind.