Vintage Peugeot (?) value?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CyclingNewb

Vintage Peugeot (?) value?

Post by CyclingNewb »

Hi all, can anyone advise me of the potential value of my Peugeot bike, which I wish to sell. No expectation here - it may be worth not much at all. I bought it off a friend to use, and he said it may be worth a decent chunk, but couldn't tell me any more than that.

..And I am a complete layman (hence my name)

Aesthetically it's not in amazing nick, some of which could be remedied, but it does function perfectly well and feels strong and sturdy quality.

Here's a link to a few pics, and I'll ofc try to answer any necessary further questions:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Thanks in advance.
geomannie

Re: Vintage Peugeot (?) value?

Post by geomannie »

Pictures from the right hand side of the chainrings & rear derailleur would help, but based on what I see, I suggest that the bike isn't worth much. It looks a fairly standard low-mid range bike that needs a really good clean & likely a full service. A full service might cost about £80 & on a good day the bike might (IMHO) make £70-£100 after the cleaning/servicing. Maybe more on a good day, but also less on a bad day. It also needs a new front tyre and new bar tape.

There is likely nothing much wrong with the bike, it is what it is, but I don't think it's anything special.
geomannie
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Agreed with the above. A low end machine, good for a commuting hack etc. £50 to £100 if you are lucky.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Those 80/90's Peugeot were well made, and had pretty robust paint finishes so there are still a lot of them around. Value wise like the above £80-120. Best off holding onto it and using a daily runaround.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I like those old Peugeots, with neat internal lugs to give smooth joins. But it really isn't worth much at all. If it were mine and I wanted to get rid of it I would try to give it to someone who could find a use for it. The tubes look to be the cheap sort they used on low end bikes, not the expensive Reynolds tubes they used on their high end bikes.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

As above.In addition,get rid of the suicide levers,useless and dangerous(the extra levers going inboard from the main brake levers)
CyclingNewb

Post by CyclingNewb »

Thanks v much!
fredN4

Post by fredN4 »

CyclingNewb wrote: 9 Nov 2021, 9:14am Thanks v much!
and dont waste your money taking it for a so-called service.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

In my opinion it's worth more like £20, certainly not above £50 and that's pushing it. It's a cheap low end bike for its time, the frame is made of hi tensile steel or similar, cheap old components. I'm not putting it down, it's a bike that can be ridden, but that's just how it is in pure monetary terms.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 8 Dec 2021, 11:05pm, edited 2 times in total.
brumster

Post by brumster »

I had a very similar model ( Equipe) back around 1987..£95 from Halfords..a friend of mine had a Peugeot Gold model again, same frame but with similar level of kit and paid £130 from a catalogue. As schoolboys back in the day, we thought these Peugeot's were better and nicer than other bikes available at this entry level price point. Was quiet happy with mine once I'd upgraded to alloy wheels.