Shorts Wearers in Winter

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thirdcrank

Re: Shorts Wearers in Winter

Post by thirdcrank »

I had a chilly morning yesterday in Northowram, watching one of my grandsons playing football and with all my warm togs on including down-quilted coat with (responsibly-sourced) coyote collar, I wished I'd thought to put on my shearling-lined boots. This morning, though it's appreciably colder with cars covered in frost, I've seen people out walking in shorts. Unusually, I've not seen any cyclists with or without, but plenty were riding in shorts last week.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

Wilhelmus wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 6:45pm Does anybody still wear those trousers which were all the rage a few years ago, which terminated about halfway down the calf? Neither one thing nor t'other.
had some kneewarmers which i binned as i found if it was cold enough to cover my knees it was cold enough for my lower leg to feel it too
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Wilhelmus

Post by Wilhelmus »

Last edited by Wilhelmus on 25 Nov 2021, 1:08pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Wilhelmus wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 2:23pm
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 2:13pmwith all my warm togs on including down-quilted coat with (responsibly-sourced) coyote collar
An intriguing concept. Did the coyote commit suicide?
People think this is very common, but they are mostly deaths by misadventure:
Wiley.PNG
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I wear shorts almost all year round, and universally when in the house. For cycling I wear cycling shorts under a pair of normal shorts pretty much all year and only wear cycling leggings under normal shorts if its frosty or there's snow. As long as my torso is adequately insulated I don't have a problem with my legs.
jb

Post by jb »

mattheus wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 3:20pm
Wilhelmus wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 2:23pm
thirdcrank wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 2:13pmwith all my warm togs on including down-quilted coat with (responsibly-sourced) coyote collar
An intriguing concept. Did the coyote commit suicide?
People think this is very common, but they are mostly deaths by misadventure:

Wiley.PNG
Coyotes live for the day they can become white coller
Cheers
J Bro
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well the lesser spotted blue kneed cyclist was definitely hibernating in today's minus temps and snow flurries... :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
freiston

Post by freiston »

eileithyia wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 3:25pm Well the lesser spotted blue kneed cyclist was definitely hibernating in today's minus temps and snow flurries... :D
None seen by me around the lanes between Coventry and Shustoke today - a few in tights or trousers though.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

The Wyre Forest cc '10' was always held on the K8 on the last Saturday in February. I'd always worn tights but one year I thought I'd be Johnny Bravo and wear my skinsuit!
Rubbed some embrocation on and thought I'd be okay, got to the turn at Claines island and I was absolutely frozen.
Had tendinitis and took 6 months before it had gone!!
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

My sorry story concerning short wearing on the coldest of days is a long weekend spent on the island of Arran in the late 90's. We left on the first boat on the Friday of the September weekend, the forecast was for a clear and dry conditions except for the Sunday when late afternoon rain was 90% possiblity.

As soon as we set off from Brodick on the Friday afternoon , heavy rain and fiercer winds blew up from seemingly blue skies. Punctures followed, 4 on the Saturday, another on the Sunday. This weather and bad luck continued for 2 days and nights, and heading over the infamous 'String' climb (again starting from blue skies no less) we encountered heavy snow flurries at about 600 feet. I was soaked to the skin. I was wearing wool shorts at the time and my legs were absolutely frozen. The last three quarters of a mile the snow came in quite heavy drifting, and we made a collective decision to walk with the bikes. It was a very long half an hours slog.

Coming down the long steep descent on the other side, things warmed up considerably, and by the time we reached the cafe the sleet and rain had stopped completely and my gear was almost dry. But in the cafe I could not stop shaking, probably we were all in some stages of hypothermia. It took a hot bath in the hotel and at least till the next morning for me to recover any sense of normality.

For a week after I returned though I had a constant restless leg syndrome and found it very difficult to sleep. I don't know why exactly, but I'm thinking the prolonged exposure to a very intense cold and moisture was too much for my puny nervous system to process. Ever since I've carried a pair of leg warmers with me, and though I absolutely love the freedom shorts give, I realise that on occasion, it's definitely a wise move to cover up...