Cold feet me.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Vetus Ossa

Cold feet me.

Post by Vetus Ossa »

This question has probably been answered a dozen times already but my search skills are lacking so here goes.
The older I get the more I feel the cold when cycling. I had my full winter kit on today and was comfortable, but will have to add even more layers soon…most would consider today mild I think, as I saw at least one rider in shorts and t shirt…maniac.
I have most of my body dialled in now, my head body and hands are ok but I have nearly always cold feet, particularly when cycling. I use flat pedals so overshoes are not the best solution, and am not one to ride with carrier bags on my feet so really looking for warm socks of some sort. Any recommendations please?
Beauty will save the world.
Pinkie

Re: Cold feet me.

Post by Pinkie »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 5:48pm This question has probably been answered a dozen times already but my search skills are lacking so here goes.
The older I get the more I feel the cold when cycling. I had my full winter kit on today and was comfortable, but will have to add even more layers soon…most would consider today mild I think, as I saw at least one rider in shorts and t shirt…maniac.
I have most of my body dialled in now, my head body and hands are ok but I have nearly always cold feet, particularly when cycling. I use flat pedals so overshoes are not the best solution, and am not one to ride with carrier bags on my feet so really looking for warm socks of some sort. Any recommendations please?
You can get battery powered socks, they may be worth putting on your list for Santa, though charging your socks only adds to lifes complexity

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gracosy-Electr ... NrPXRydWU=
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Recent discussion, with some suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=147357

Jonathan
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

The following may not answer your question, but hey, who knows?
Are your feet cold at other times, eg when indoors?
About 6 years ago I was suffering from cold feet to the extent I had on 2 pair of socks in bed. I mentioned this to my very knowledgeable acupuncturist/ Chinese herbalist, and she prescribed 'warming herbs'. I boiled 4 herbs in a saucepan with 1.5 pts of water for 30 mins, and then strained off the liquid, boiled the herbs again with 1pt of water and similarly strained off. Result was 1 mug of liquid each day for 5 days.
It was the foulest tasting liquid I've ever drunk - but it worked and I've not suffered cold feet since (even when riding the bike)
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

How you keep your feet warm is determined by how big they are relative to everyone else.
If your feet are small or average size say size 10 male or smaller then the best method I think is to just buy a pair of extra large shoes preferably with a gore tex lining then bulk out the surplus space with insulated reflective insoles and thick wool socks.
If you normally take size 11 footwear then that method doesn't really work as you really need shoes at least 2 sizes too big, so it's neoprene overshoes which I find do work.
slowster

Post by slowster »

I would reiterate what I said in this post - viewtopic.php?p=1645426#p1645426.

I provided a link to a pair LL Bean boots in that post as an example. A similar boot is the Columbia Fairbanks Omni-Heat, which is a bit cheaper (Amazon price varies with size and colour chosen - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Columbia-Fairb ... 01MU14KQZ/). Quite a bit of feedback on the boots on Singletrackworld, mostly positive.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/search/fairbanks/

Combine with a pair of good quality wool socks for hillwalkers, e.g. Bridgedale.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I think it’s fair to say I have cold (size 10) feet all the time, well at least from when the hot weather ends. I will soon be moving into thick knitted socks about the house.
Thanks for the above replies, I will read up when I have a few minutes to myself ( wife poorly and I am busy doing most of the chores.)
May be asking for a receipt for the warming herb solution, and perhaps investigate gore tex socks.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I will soon be moving into thick knitted socks about the house.
They can be as thick and knitted as you like but in my experience if they ain’t wool they ain’t warm. There’s too much Acrylic knocking about pretending to be wool.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Paulatic wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 6:27pm
I will soon be moving into thick knitted socks about the house.
They can be as thick and knitted as you like but in my experience if they ain’t wool they ain’t warm. There’s too much Acrylic knocking about pretending to be wool.
Yes I did forget to include the word "wool" didn't I :wink:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Vetus Ossa wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 6:11pm I think it’s fair to say I have cold (size 10) feet all the time, well at least from when the hot weather ends. I will soon be moving into thick knitted socks about the house.
Thanks for the above replies, I will read up when I have a few minutes to myself ( wife poorly and I am busy doing most of the chores.)
May be asking for a receipt for the warming herb solution, and perhaps investigate gore tex socks.
Make sure your shoes have plenty of room for the feet to move within, including with the thicker socks. Otherwise, you're just compressing everything and going backwards. Keep ankles insulated as well. Look at the sole thickness on your shoes, thin soles often leak heat quickly.

- Nigel
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If you have flat pedals use walking boots and decent socks. Not too tight. Keep the legs warm.
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

When it gets really cold, i.e. a couple of degrees or less and I'm riding for more than an hour there is only one sure fire (pun intended) solution. I baulk at the price and disposability but they are soooo nice :D I tend to transfer them to my slippers when I get home and have a toastie day - they last up to 8hrs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Insole-Foot-Wa ... s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANDS-Foot-War ... th=1&psc=1
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

Some really good ideas there, thanks everyone :)
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

I once read that you need to make sure that the blood entering your feet is warm. Now if necessary I will add spats or vented overtrousers which makes a huge difference. Even Rainlegs will help.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

LollyKat wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 9:14am I once read that you need to make sure that the blood entering your feet is warm. Now if necessary I will add spats or vented overtrousers which makes a huge difference. Even Rainlegs will help.
I'd expect keeping your legs warm to keep your feet warm. But that wouldn't be because of the temperature of the blood in the arteries being higher because of less cooling on the way down. It would be because there'd be less constriction of arterioles because of less detection of cold. Physiology rather than physics! : - )

Jonathan