iPhone tracking app?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PH

Re: iPhone tracking app?

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 1:39pm I did a bit of fiddling over lunch (after a ride!) and found that when you click on the bottom left REC symbol you get a list:
Start recording
Start short time recording
Start Diary mode
Settings
Cancel
Thanks for that, either it's been added in an update, or I somehow missed it :oops:
I've changed mine to 30 second intervals, that's accurate enough for my records.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

It was only when playing with the ting that I saw it.
As I said, there are three settings for the app.

One in the Settings on the phone, one in My Tracks bottom right with the three dots, and one in the Rec button menu.
IMG_0891.PNG
IMG_0892.PNG
IMG_0893.PNG
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS:
This is where me and doggie were walking yesterday.
IMG_0888.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Just back from a walk.
Mrs Mick F dropped me and doggie off at the top of Hingston Down and we walked through the old mining area (just south of Hingston Down Quarry) and along the footpaths, down Crow Lane and Moorland Way, to cross the main road and through the old mining area of Drakewalls Mine - and I took a detour to look at the mine chimney and stuff - and along to the Queen's Head for a couple of pints for me, and a big bowl of water for doggie.

Top very right of the second shot is the terrace of houses where we lived in the 80s and 90s. Drakewalls mine area then was a derelict site with open mine shafts, but now it's green and accessible and full of footpaths to explore.

After the pub, we walked home. 3.2miles in total.
This is the route we took Hingston to the pub. The iPhone is set for 5sec intervals. Seems fine to me and home with 70% of battery left considering Mrs Mick F dropped us off at 11.30 and it's now 14.00.
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 13.50.53.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-25 at 13.52.22.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Sorry to hi jack

I’ve been looking at used garmins on eBay today, then I found this thread which got me thinking about my phone (iPhone X)

I’m just looking for basic info, distance travelled,time taken, speed etc, nothing fancy.

What app would be good for that? And also can anyone recommend a bracket to hold my phone to handlebar so it’s visible when riding?

T6anks
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Fraz101 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:57pmAnd also can anyone recommend a bracket to hold my phone to handlebar so it’s visible when riding?
Do you want a case or any other additional protection on the iPhone?

Jonathan
Fraz101

Post by Fraz101 »

Jdsk wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:59pm
Fraz101 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:57pmAnd also can anyone recommend a bracket to hold my phone to handlebar so it’s visible when riding?
Do you want a case or any other additional protection on the iPhone?

Jonathan
The phone is already in a protective case so just a decent mount. Thanks

Also I presume most of the popular apps tell you actual current speed as I like to see that
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Fraz101 wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 4:57pm Sorry to hi jack

I’ve been looking at used garmins on eBay today, then I found this thread which got me thinking about my phone (iPhone X)

I’m just looking for basic info, distance travelled,time taken, speed etc, nothing fancy.

What app would be good for that? And also can anyone recommend a bracket to hold my phone to handlebar so it’s visible when riding?

T6anks
Apart from what MickF is using Osmand+ will do all that. As for as a phone mount this is similar to what I use and its pretty safe and waterproof..... I have tried an open mount where the phone is exposed to the elements. Ok until you encounter a bump or pothole :(

Deal: LEMEGO Bike Phone Holder Bag Waterproof Touch Screen Bicycle Handlebar Bag 360-Degree Rotatable Bike Phone Mount for iPhone 12/11/XS/X/8 Samsung LG Sony Smartphones up to 6.5'' https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083K6V3B ... 8AD0ZMMAHZ

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Four pages and still discovering. Glad you found something basic and simple Mick.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Very pleased too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I set out with a will this morning. Weather forecast was the best it's been for days. Off I went into a northerly wind - expected as per the forecast - but five minutes after leaving, the wind was accompanied by heavy freezing cold rain! :cry:
I made up my mind that if it didn't clear up by the time I made it out of the valley, I was heading home. It didn't, and I did. Cold and soaking wet.

Glorious out there now. Typical. :evil:

Any road up, the purpose of this post isn't for the weather update, but to show the results of an experiment.
I had my Montana on the handlebars, my Edge 20 on a wrist strap, and my iPhone 6s in my back pocket. All started withinn a minute of each other as I left the front door, and stopped as I made it home.

Four screenshots. Three showing the same segment as a comparison of the accuracies of their tracks, and an overview of some of the data.

First, the iPhone 6s
iPhone 6s.png
Second, the Edge 20 (I call him Minty)
Minty Edge 20.png
Third, the Montana (Monty)
Monty Montana.png
Finally, and this is more interesting, the comparisons of the data.
Distance in Miles and climb in Feet.
Comparisons.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Have you got the data capture intervals for the three devices, please?

Jonathan