iPhone tracking app?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

iPhone tracking app?

Post by Mick F »

Is there a simple tracking app for the iPhone?

I don't want performance stuff - HR and pace etc or joining a group like Strava or something - as I'm not running or into fitness, just want a simple app to record a dog-walk or two rather than take a Garmin. I always have my phone in my pocket, so it could record my longer and more interesting walks.

Are any recommended by you knowledgeable folk out there? :D
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Re: iPhone tracking app?

Post by Jdsk »

There's a lot out there. I suggest trying MapMyWalk, and then telling us what you like and don't like about it:
https://www.mapmywalk.com
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/map-my-wa ... d307861492

After that it might be possible to work out what to try next.

Jonathan
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Despite you not liking Strava I think it would would be fine for that. You don't have to join any groups, just keep all your walks/rides private and only you will see them. If you don't follow anyone else you will only see your own activity. In effect that is all I do although I do use a device which shows my heart rate as I have had some issues in recent years.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

iSmoothRun is what I tend to use, the name is misleading it has options for all sorts of activities.

Cloud upload is an option, not a requirement.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I used to like Endomondo, but it's run its course & is no more... I did try MapMyWalk and quite liked it, but ended up adopting exactly the sort of thing MickF quite reasonably says he doesn't want ie all the jolly bells & whistles available from an Apple Watch / iPhone combination.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
PH

Post by PH »

As a simple iphone logger, I like My Tracks
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mytracks- ... d358697908

Used daily for the last couple of years, never an issue, low battery consumption.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks guys!

My Tracks looks good. Thank you PH. Seems to tick the boxes.
Meanwhile, I found TrackMyJourney. Seems ok and simple to use ................... but there's adverts on the screen. :evil:

Off on an hour's dog walk later, and I'll set both of them going as I leave.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MapOut has the best map rendering I've seen. Paid for app (cheap) and worldwide maps are free. Vector mapping you download over Wi-Fi (you select what mapping you what stored on your phone) and being vector it takes little space and has continuous zoom (to amazing detail).

It's very targeted at outdoor activities (walking, cycling) and so is very good at showing altitude profiles (wither line on map, route on map or track recorded). Recorded track .gpx can be sent wherever you want (e.g. to MAc, e-mail, etc.)

Very worth the cost
https://mapout.app or https://apps.apple.com/us/app/mapout/id477094081

Ian
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Whats happened to the watch strap for the garmin 20?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back from the walk.
58mins.

Set TrackMyJourney as well as MyTracks running as we left home, and stopped them whilst having a beer in the pub.

Tried to save the resulting tracks.
TrackMyJourney didn't seem to want to save it anywhere, plus the constant advert at the top of the screen detracted from any simplicity or usefulness, so I've deleted the app.

MyTracks gave options - and no adverts - and I saved it to file and uploaded to iCloud, and now at home, I can upload the MyTracks GPX track into my program - Ascent.

Very happy indeed with MyTracks. Thanks muchly to PH.

Here's a screenshot from my computer of a section of the walk. Riverbank and bits of Gunnislake village.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 13.27.14.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 1:36pmTrackMyJourney didn't seem to want to save it anywhere...
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 13.41.06.png
https://trackmyjourney.net
... and then it's in the FAQs.

Jonathan
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

philvantwo wrote: 19 Nov 2021, 1:36pm Whats happened to the watch strap for the garmin 20?
We crossed in the post here Phil.

Nothing wrong at all with the strap and the Edge20.
I plan on a LONG walk next month or January whilst Mrs Mick F is away for a few weeks.

Cycled Route 27 to Plymouth a few times over the years, and once on the way home from Plymouth.
Ride to Tavistock, then down 27 old railbed to Plymouth over Gem Bridge and through a couple of tunnels, to pop out at the city. Train home or take the roads back.

Too far to walk, so considering - as an outline plan - to get busses to Yelverton. No27 from Gunnislake to Tavistock, then No1 to Yelverton, then walk the 13miles to Plymouth to the railway station and catch the 16:34(?) train. Short walk from the station to home ........ or a little bit further to the pub!

Edge20 will run for 6hrs. It will go for longer (8hrs?) if you use Auto Pause, and as it's a cycling device, that's fine. Walking with it, Auto Pause keeps pausing as walking at 2mph is on the verge of stationary as far as cycling is concerned, so the resultant uploaded track can be disjointed and haphazard.

13miles could well take me 6hrs or perhaps a tad longer. I considered taking a power bank and doing a recharge part way, or taking my Garmin Montana ...... which will go for 12hrs and with a change of battery will go for another 12hrs.

Hence asking about my iPhone.
I'll be taking that anyway, so it could double up as a tracker too, so I don't have to bother with a Garmin.

This is my planned walk.
Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 13.50.53.png
Mick F. Cornwall
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

How many hills will you have to climb Mick F?
Also how will you carry your 'Monty'? I watched a review on YouTube a while back and the chap was using a fur lined pouch to keep his in.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

Why not Strava? You don't need to pay for the basic stuff, and you don't need a Garmin either. Turn it on before you go walking (or riding of course), and forget all about it until you get home. It is a lot easier than faffing with a Garmin, if all you want is to see where you have been and how long it took.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Mick F stated he wasn't interested in strava and everybody on here would be following him and watching where he went!
I used to use strava on my phone to record rides when it first came out but I got fed up of it stopping recording mid ride.
I record stuff on my Garmin and upload it to Garmin Connect which automatically shares it with Strava, its all clever stuff!