Thermal Water Bottle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Patrickpioneer

Re: Thermos for bidon holder?

Post by Patrickpioneer »

When you have done it don't forget you can then carry ice water in the summer and its bloomin luvly look you.
Patrick
(who does his best to make things scruffy)
mr_mark_sid

Post by mr_mark_sid »

this ones a cracker. We use it loads for cool milk for the children sometimes and warm coffee for grown ups other times. Still no scratches after 3 years. We even wash it in the dishwasher.

If you warm it before you add hot drinks then the '12 hour' suggested effective operation of it is not too far off. The groove is in the right place to hold it into the bottle cage:

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/thermos-470ml-stainless-steel-flask-red
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

mr_mark_sid wrote:this ones a cracker. We use it loads for cool milk for the children sometimes and warm coffee for grown ups other times. Still no scratches after 3 years. We even wash it in the dishwasher.

If you warm it before you add hot drinks then the '12 hour' suggested effective operation of it is not too far off. The groove is in the right place to hold it into the bottle cage:

https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/thermos-470ml-stainless-steel-flask-red

The trick to your flask keeping hot is indeed to warm it with boiling water for a few minutes prior to adding your tea/coffee.
John
nez

Post by nez »

Yes. I used to make porridge like that. Heat the flask good and proper with boiling water, tip it out, add oats, butter, salt and water, close, swaddle in towels then eat next morning. Very nice.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

926F231B-9320-4862-8171-9F6706C0FCC9.jpeg

Here’s my setup. It’s a Thermos thermocafe 500ml stainless steel inside a neoprene stubby cooler.
nez

Post by nez »

geocycle wrote:926F231B-9320-4862-8171-9F6706C0FCC9.jpeg

Here’s my setup. It’s a Thermos thermocafe 500ml stainless steel inside a neoprene stubby cooler.

What's a neoprene stubby cooler?
nez

Post by nez »

Ah, got it. I don't drink alcohol, hence ignorance. :D Nice looking bike though. Titanium? If ever I wear out the Dawes Super Galaxy I'd look for something like that.
chris_suffolk

Thermal Water Bottle

Post by chris_suffolk »

Has anybody any exerience of Thermal water bottles, particularly ones that will keep a drink warm as the weather gets colder? Preferably one that with last for more than a couple of hours, and will fit in a standard bottle cage.

Thanks
Jdsk

Re: Thermal Water Bottle

Post by Jdsk »

Several discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136129

Jonathan
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

In winter I cary a hot drink in a steel Thermos type flask which fits in a standard bottle cage.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

Used a zefal last winter which which kept fluid drinkable for 2.5-3hrs i.e.lukewarm.
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Thanks for replies. Several people seem to favour a thermos flask, but that means stopping as it's hard to drink from one whilst on the move. Can you get them with an easy top like a normal bottle, albeit (hopefully) insulated?
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Elite Deboyo is what you really want and Tredz seem to have them in stock.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Elite-Deboyo-R ... u4QAvD_BwE#

Velo vixen have them too.

I can’t abide a cold drink on a cold day, so I end up not drinking at all, except at the cafe stop.I like warm Ribena or reasonably hot sweet tea on a cold ride.

A Thermos is OK if you are stopping to drink, but you can drink from the Deboyo as you ride along.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Sigg ONE 0.5L https://sigg.com/uk/thermo-flask-hot-co ... lack-0-5l/

I carry mine in my panniers but they are also a good fit in my bottle cage. Has a flip top opened by pressing a button (click shut) with a drinking spout thing. Not something you'd drink from whilst moving on 2-wheels but far from a screw top.

Keeps coffee hot for hours - when I've drunk from mine underway it's been almost too hot.

There are 2 types that use the same base (and you can buy the tops separately) the ONE version has the button operated flip top and the other a screw top (still easy to drink from but OP was not keen on screw type tops.

Ian
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

nez wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 4:09pm Can anyone recommend a Thermos or similar flask which will fit in an ordinary alu or nylon bidon holder? We're going to continue with group rides until those people in Downing street tell us not to but of course places to stop for coffee etc are closing so, it seems, we have to fetch our coffee and cake with us. I do have an ordinary thermos but just putting it in the saddle bag is asking for trouble.
If you don't find a suitable flask to fit an ordinary bottle cage you could always get a "bike buddy" bottle cage to use with any flask. They work really well.