How on earth is this possible?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nirakaro

How on earth is this possible?

Post by nirakaro »

OK, only very peripherally related to cycle touring, but I'm bemused, don't know where else to ask, and there's a lot of clever people on this forum…
I'd been having an issue with not receiving texts that people had sent me ( which could be more of a concern if I'm off touring). I'd raised it with my phone provider, wanted to check that it was fixed, so got my wife to send me a couple of texts. One arrived, immediately, on my smartphone as expected, but the other, identical, popped up a minute later, as a spoken message on the answering machine of our landline! She checked her phone, which said it had sent the text to my mobile number. The landline number is in her phone, but as her home number, not connected to me. If someone told me that story, I wouldn't believe it – sounds plumb impossible! Any clues?
Jdsk

Re: How on earth is this possible?

Post by Jdsk »

I'd want to repeat the check on that trail on the sending 'phone. Tactfully, of course.

Apart from that... a programmed diversion in the mobile 'phone settings at one end or the other?

Jonathan

PS: I'm not convinced by these either...
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I had something similar a couple of weeks ago. We have neighbours across the road for whom my mobile phone contacts list included both her mobile (he refuses to use one) and their landline. They told me that sometimes texts - which I assumed were going to her mobile were now going to their landline. The weird part about this is that it seems it's only been happening recently. For many years they had some sort of a holiday home where they spent most of every week. I used to keep an eye on their house and deal with things like the wheelie bins. When they were away, texts were the main means of communication and it would have been useless if texts from me had gone to their landline over the road.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 4:20pmApart from that... a programmed diversion in the mobile 'phone settings at one end or the other?
Or call diversion in the account rather than the settings of the devices... ?

Who's the provider on the mobile 'phone account, please?

Jonathan
Pinkie

Post by Pinkie »

nirakaro wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 4:05pm OK, only very peripherally related to cycle touring, but I'm bemused, don't know where else to ask, and there's a lot of clever people on this forum…
I'd been having an issue with not receiving texts that people had sent me ( which could be more of a concern if I'm off touring). I'd raised it with my phone provider, wanted to check that it was fixed, so got my wife to send me a couple of texts. One arrived, immediately, on my smartphone as expected, but the other, identical, popped up a minute later, as a spoken message on the answering machine of our landline! She checked her phone, which said it had sent the text to my mobile number. The landline number is in her phone, but as her home number, not connected to me. If someone told me that story, I wouldn't believe it – sounds plumb impossible! Any clues?
Texts are not a reliable means of communication. They take anything from a few milli seconds to occasionally many hours to arive.

If you send with receipt confirmation turned on. You at least know if they got there or not.

For anything that might be reasonably termed as important. Use the phone as a phone
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Jdsk wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 4:20pm I'd want to repeat the check on that trail on the sending 'phone. Tactfully, of course.
Hehe, that had crossed my mind too. I'm not sure though, how one trawls through one's beloved's phone records without being tactless, or dishonest, or downright creepy. :shock:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Quite truthfully, I'm surprised any of it work - in fact I have a queasy notion that one day soon, it won't...
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Use WhatsApp as an alternative - you can see when it's sent, received and read.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 5:16pm Use WhatsApp as an alternative - you can see when it's sent, received and read.
Yes, but I prefer Signal....

Jonathan
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

We had long period of time when a relative of my partner kept sending texts to our landlines. He's a retired engineer from the petrochemical sector, former mechanic and helped the police set up a police diver unit including training them on river currents, etc. So basically a clever, technical person for whom phones are no big deal. However he is losing it a little, or chooses to make out he is. So it's just as possible that he's deliberately doing it wrong or he really is.

Anyhow, these things could be operator error or some of them.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bonefishblues wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 5:16pm Use WhatsApp as an alternative - you can see when it's sent, received and read.
And so can one of the most rampant data pirates of the modern world...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 6:09pm
And so can one of the most rampant data pirates of the modern world...
No they can't.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Absolutely they can - they may or may not be able to read the contents, but that wasn’t in the list.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Pinkie wrote: 21 Nov 2021, 4:47pm Use the phone as a phone
Controversial......
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 22 Nov 2021, 11:01pm Absolutely they can - they may or may not be able to read the contents, but that wasn’t in the list.
They may not. Unless you are privy to some information, in which case please share it.