How on earth is this possible?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bonefishblues

Re: How on earth is this possible?

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'm afraid they may conclude I'm rather a lonely bloke :(
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I've had similar experiences where I've wattspp messaged someone about a product and Google has then posted adverts relating to that product on my webpages?

Does Wattapp talk to Google or does Google harvest keyboard /wattspp content??? !
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:10am I've had similar experiences where I've wattspp messaged someone about a product and Google has then posted adverts relating to that product on my webpages?

Does Wattapp talk to Google or does Google harvest keyboard /wattspp content??? !
Had you looked up the product on the Web before sending that message?

Thanks

Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Back when we had a landline we regularly got 'text' messages in the form of a computerised voice message.It would even describe emojis.
Example:-
Hi Lisa it's Jodie sorry it's been a while embarrassed face ring me when you can smiley face.
This was probably 10 years ago now and always from the same friend.
Jamesh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:10am I've had similar experiences where I've wattspp messaged someone about a product and Google has then posted adverts relating to that product on my webpages?
It's exactly the same with Facebook/Instagram.We would discuss something at work for instance then open Facebook and there would be an advert or recommendation for it.We used to try something really obscure to see if it came up on anyone's newsfeed and it would.

All texts and emails are stored indefinitely anyway so it matters not who you use to send a message it can be retrieved by those who have the power to do so.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Hellhound wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:33amAll texts and emails are stored indefinitely anyway so it matters not who you use to send a message it can be retrieved by those who have the power to do so.
It might matter enormously. That's why many of us choose to use Signal for instant messaging. And why I rarely use Gmail for email.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... messengers

Jonathan
djh

Post by djh »

"That's why many of us choose to use Signal for instant messaging."

My problem is that I don't get a choice of which messaging service to use. I have to use the one the other person uses. And that's always Whatsapp; they've never heard of Signal.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I prepared a post earlier about Signal but I must have omitted to press the submit button.

When it was mentioned higher up, I googled it. I generally have difficulty differentiating between reality and the spin from those with vested interests. I see it's said to have been used by people organising protest demo's to keep things private.

As a very ordinary person, with nobody in my circle using it, what's in it for me?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

djh wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:04pm "That's why many of us choose to use Signal for instant messaging."

My problem is that I don't get a choice of which messaging service to use. I have to use the one the other person uses. And that's always Whatsapp; they've never heard of Signal.
Yes. I haven't managed to persuade all of my groups to migrate. But it's worth it and I'll keep trying.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 12:12pm I prepared a post earlier about Signal...

As a very ordinary person, with nobody in my circle using it, what's in it for me?
Jdsk wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 1:19pm I have two rather different concerns:

1 Analysis of the security, as posted above by [XAP]Bob, and see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... ts#Privacy

2 It's run by Meta/Facebook.
Jonathan
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Jdsk wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:43am
Hellhound wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 9:33amAll texts and emails are stored indefinitely anyway so it matters not who you use to send a message it can be retrieved by those who have the power to do so.
It might matter enormously. That's why many of us choose to use Signal for instant messaging. And why I rarely use Gmail for email.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... messengers
Jonathan
If the powers that be want your message history they will get it whether it be Signal,Whatsapp or your mobile phone provider.I have first hand experience of this and they can go back years.My experience was with the Police.Higher organisations will have even more power.
As I said all messages,emails and any electronic communication is stored.
I'm not particularly bothered.They can listen in to me anytime they see fit.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The cannot do so with signal... that's what proper, reviewed, encryption is about.

Obviously there are methods:
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

When e-mails that I've sent fail, or take a long time to reach the addressee, they are nearly always on g-mail.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I would hazard a guess that that is a correlation without causation.

Probably a significant proportion of people you know use gmail in one form or another. Their mail servers are actually pretty well set up, so are rarely the cause of delivery errors.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

JohnW wrote: 25 Nov 2021, 10:21pm When e-mails that I've sent fail, or take a long time to reach the addressee, they are nearly always on g-mail.
[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:00am I would hazard a guess that that is a correlation without causation.
Yes. I wouldn't expect that whatever Google are doing with the content of Gmail emails would cause any slowing of delivery that was detectable by users.

But they did state in 2017 that suspicious messages could be delayed to perform a deeper analysis:
https://techcrunch.com/2017/05/31/googl ... -messages/
https://www.engadget.com/2017-05-31-goo ... shing.html

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 26 Nov 2021, 11:11am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:00am I would hazard a guess that that is a correlation without causation.
I think that what you're saying Bob is that I'm either lie-ing or talking rubbish.
That's what happens Bob. It's a fact.
I do admire your superior knowledge and use of English vocabulary, but I do know what I experience.