How on earth is this possible?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
[XAP]Bob

Re: How on earth is this possible?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

JohnW wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 11:10am
[XAP]Bob wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:00am I would hazard a guess that that is a correlation without causation.
I think that what you're saying Bob is that I'm either lie-ing or talking rubbish.
That's what happens Bob. It's a fact.
I do admire your superior knowledge and use of English vocabulary, but I do know what I experience.
Not at all - I think you are observing that the people who occasionally get emails delayed are using gmail. But without an understanding of how many users are on gmail that doesn't mean that gmail is the issue.

It's just that the people who don't see delays don't tell you what email system they are using... so you never know that they are running gmail as well.

In general gmail is both reliable and prompt.
Who is your supplier? Unless they are one of the giants then I'd be more likely to suspect that they had the occasional smtp hiccup.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jb

Post by jb »

I always send my most secretive messages using my Clarks Commandos secret message encoder, it never fails.
Cheers
J Bro
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 23 Nov 2021, 5:08pm It's a huge part of what the large advertising companies (google and facebook) sell (remember we are the product).

It's massively valuable, but you get to see no value from handing it over. Traditional communications providers are, at least in the EU, prevented from monetising this information, because it is seen as an invasion of privacy.
Slightly off topic but perhaps relavent/ of interest.
Would you give a company a photograph of your passport photo page?
They have poor online feedback.

This is in relation to Covid testing.
The company demands this as proof. Though they have passport numbers.
They have made serious, stupid errors in the administration of the process.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Well, I think I've posted elsewhere that my efforts at using a companies return to the uk covid testing app was so bad that I just didn't bother. I took a photograph of each test on the relevant passport.

It was the best I could do in terms of evidence that we had completed the tests as required.

So... no, I probably wouldn't, although a photograph of my face is hardly secret - I used leave it out in public a lot before stupid covid.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 12:03am Well, I think I've posted elsewhere that my efforts at using a companies return to the uk covid testing app was so bad that I just didn't bother. I took a photograph of each test on the relevant passport.

It was the best I could do in terms of evidence that we had completed the tests as required.

So... no, I probably wouldn't, although a photograph of my face is hardly secret - I used leave it out in public a lot before stupid covid.
Thanks for your reply.
It isn't so much the photo as the other stuff contained on the page
All those long numbers and codes.

Basically in the wrong hands it would be easily enough to forge a passport IMV.

I have always been exhorted not to give my passport to anyone except customs officers.

I shall do as you suggest, though I don't have an app.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yeah - I just completely gave up on any official recognition of the test, I bought them, we took them, they were all negative.

Of course about 12 hours later got phoned by T&T (has to have been from the plane) and went to get a PCR - also negative. But a plane has to be about the safest possible inside environment.