Chainring wear and tear on my brand new bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
DevonDamo

Re: Chainring wear and tear on my brand new bike?

Post by DevonDamo »

Northeastperson wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 7:46pm Since I started this thread I heard from a former highly competitive road cyclist. He suggested I pull the chain forward away from the chainring as that could tell me something. What do you judge from the photo?
The thing with pulling the chain away from the chain ring is about checking for a worn chain, although possibly the test could also tell you about worn chainring teeth. You don't do it like you're doing in that photo - the idea is to leave the chain wrapped around the chainring whilst trying to pull a few links of the chain away. If the chain is 'stretched' (i.e. its internal parts have worn down) then the extra length will allow the links to be pulled away from the teeth of the chainring - whereas normally they'd be held tightly in position around its circumference.

Have a look at this video from around 2 mins 20 seconds onwards to see this being done:

Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

My first thought was have you got a chain which matches the speed of the rest of your drive chain. eg, an 8 speed chain on a 9 speed drive train vs a 9 speed chain on a 9 speed drive.
Also the rivets look like they stick out to far for a 9 speed or faster chain.
Are there any markings on the outer chain plates which indicate exactly which chain is fitted.

Luck ...... :D
Northeastperson

Post by Northeastperson »

DevonDamo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 7:58pm
Northeastperson wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 7:46pm Since I started this thread I heard from a former highly competitive road cyclist. He suggested I pull the chain forward away from the chainring as that could tell me something. What do you judge from the photo?
The thing with pulling the chain away from the chain ring is about checking for a worn chain, although possibly the test could also tell you about worn chainring teeth. You don't do it like you're doing in that photo - the idea is to leave the chain wrapped around the chainring whilst trying to pull a few links of the chain away. If the chain is 'stretched' (i.e. its internal parts have worn down) then the extra length will allow the links to be pulled away from the teeth of the chainring - whereas normally they'd be held tightly in position around its circumference.

Have a look at this video from around 2 mins 20 seconds onwards to see this being done:

Ok thanks I used the method in the video and it seemed much harder to pull it from the chainring although the chainguard was in the way making it difficult to grab the chain.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Was the chain lubricated before you first used it? It seems very dry in the photos (as viewed on my phone).
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

No worries. From the photos you've posted, I think your chainrings are fine and, as others have pointed out, it's probably just a bit of worn-away black paint that's giving you concern. Those chainrings are cheap stamped steel, which I always find look a bit horrible, but they do the job. I can't see any indication of wear on those teeth, and I reckon your best way to resolve this problem would be to go and have a look at the chainring teeth on a load of budget bikes in Halford to satisfy yourself that yours aren't any different.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

This is the OP's bike. It's a triple with a 7 speed freewheel:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-3

It's nearly brand new. There's no way anything will have worn in three weeks and 30 or 40 miles, just the paint off the chainring teeth, which is inevitable. Chain is a KMC Z7. Stop worrying - these kind of entry level hybrids are basic but usually robust. :)

Are you sure the chainrings are aluminium? The specs say the crankset is 'forged alloy' but the chainrings on an entry level bike are more likely to be steel with aluminium (i.e. 'forged alloy') cranks. Steel chainrings are heavier but tend to last longer, and vice versa with aluminium rings.
Northeastperson

LollyKat wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:05pm Was the chain lubricated before you first used it? It seems very dry in the photos (as viewed on my phone).
I oiled it only yesterday in the way shown in the GCN videos on YouTube. I rubbed off the excess on the sides of the chain with a rag. They say to do that.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

Fair enough - just making sure. :)
Northeastperson

kylecycler wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 9:11pm This is the OP's bike. It's a triple with a 7 speed freewheel:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/escape-3

It's nearly brand new. There's no way anything will have worn in three weeks and 30 or 40 miles, just the paint off the chainring teeth, which is inevitable. Chain is a KMC Z7. Stop worrying - these kind of entry level hybrids are basic but usually robust. :)

Are you sure the chainrings are aluminium? The specs say the crankset is 'forged alloy' but the chainrings on an entry level bike are more likely to be steel with aluminium (i.e. 'forged alloy') cranks. Steel chainrings are heavier but tend to last longer, and vice versa with aluminium rings.
I just knew it was described as an aluminium bike.

To be honest I was wondering if the bike repair guy who had the bike for three days checking the safety of the bike had switched the chainring. I realise that sounds bad.
peetee

Post by peetee »

The crankset has alloy crank arms, plastic outer guard and steel rings. The inner ring can be seen to have tabs bent round to act as chain catchers. This is identical to the composition of Shimano Tourney and Sunrace cranks and what I would expect on a bike of that price.
I still believe the damage to be indicative of hesitant gear changes which could be down user-related or a problem with the front mech position - a photo from the other side would help as would a clear view of the small chainring without the chain on it (from the side you have already shown. I would expect to see a relatively unscathed surface in comparison to the other two.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Northeastperson

peetee wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:08pm The crankset has alloy crank arms, plastic outer guard and steel rings. The inner ring can be seen to have tabs bent round to act as chain catchers. This is identical to the composition of Shimano Tourney and Sunrace cranks and what I would expect on a bike of that price.
I still believe the damage to be indicative of hesitant gear changes which could be down user-related or a problem with the front mech position - a photo from the other side would help as would a clear view of the small chainring without the chain on it (from the side you have already shown. I would expect to see a relatively unscathed surface in comparison to the other two.
The rear derailleur is in the middle (4th) cog if that helps. I've not been often below 5th on the rear derailleur with the big chainring operating though as I know about cross chaining.
Attachments
IMG_20211126_221540040.jpg
IMG_20211126_221606888.jpg
IMG_20211126_221845769.jpg
Last edited by Northeastperson on 26 Nov 2021, 10:35pm, edited 2 times in total.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

philvantwo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 1:05pm Have you kept the box?
Droll maestro.
:lol:
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

PDQ Mobile wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 10:28pm
philvantwo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 1:05pm Have you kept the box?
Droll maestro.
:lol:
Or bike snob. :wink:

The vast majority of bikes sold in the UK and everywhere else on the planet arrive in a box from a factory in China, and there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. All Canyons, for example, are built in China; even this one - Mathieu van der Poel showing Julian Alaphilippe and Egan Bernal the way home on this year's Strade Bianche - one of the more epic rides, and photographs, in pro cycling history...

EvzovYZWQAAJupT (3).jpg

My three Halfords Carreras arrived in a box from a factory in Cambodia and they've all served me well. Trek even had to transfer a lot of its production from China to Cambodia coz crooked orange xenophobic sick twisted narcissistic wonky imbecile Trump's Chy-na tariffs - but so what?

A bike is a bike, and if it works, it works.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Looks fine to me, if the gears chage normally and no loud noises from chain skip then just enjoy the ride and don't worry.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Here’s a comparison between a new chainring (top) and a worn chainring (bottom). If the teeth have a flat or rounded top, they are ok, if they are sharply pointed, then the chainring is worn out.
Attachments
9D9BADF7-6879-4114-A630-722D1EA6E0F6.jpeg
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com