Chainring wear and tear on my brand new bike?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Northeastperson

Chainring wear and tear on my brand new bike?

Post by Northeastperson »

I've only had my new bike about three weeks now. As someone who is totally new to bike maintenance could you guys tell me if the look of the sprockets on the chainring is normal for a brand new bike. It came in a box from the factory in China. I guess I've been about 40 to 50 miles on it.
IMG_20211126_111313953.jpg
IMG_20211126_111413849.jpg
IMG_20211126_111446610.jpg
IMG_20211126_111505855.jpg
IMG_20211126_111550623.jpg
peetee

Re: Chainring wear and tear on my brand new bike?

Post by peetee »

Difficult to see what damage there is over and above the scuffing to the black paint finish. Looking again though, do you struggle to do a clean and fast change up to the two larger chainrings?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Have you kept the box?
Northeastperson

peetee wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:21pm Difficult to see what damage there is over and above the scuffing to the black paint finish. Looking again though, do you struggle to do a clean and fast change up to the two larger chainrings?

I thought some of the teeth were looking very jagged. I know they vary in shape.

Yes, it's taken me time to get the knack for shifting up on the chainring.
Northeastperson

philvantwo wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 1:05pm Have you kept the box?
Nope
rjb

Post by rjb »

It's unusual to have 4 chainrings on there. What bike is it?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Northeastperson

rjb wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:15pm It's unusual to have 4 chainrings on there. What bike is it?
It's only got 3. It's a Giant Escape 3.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Northeastperson wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:23pm
rjb wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 2:15pm It's unusual to have 4 chainrings on there. What bike is it?
It's only got 3. It's a Giant Escape 3.
Oops sorry, the wear marks made me think I was seeing 4. Hazard of using a mobile to view things. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Looks normal to me.
The chainrings are pained black, and it's the paint that is rubbing off the aluminium chainrings.

Yet another reason why I don't like black components on a bike ................ but that's a completely different subject of course.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Northeastperson wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 1:13pm
peetee wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 12:21pm Difficult to see what damage there is over and above the scuffing to the black paint finish. Looking again though, do you struggle to do a clean and fast change up to the two larger chainrings?

I thought some of the teeth were looking very jagged. I know they vary in shape.

Yes, it's taken me time to get the knack for shifting up on the chainring.
Probably just that then. Usually when the gear change is taking a while the chain is being partly picked up by contact with the teeth of the chainring and then slipping back. This lack of full engagement can easily cause the scoring you see.
Try lessening the pedal pressure as you shift and give a good positive push on the shifter lever.
Also, do you have a photo from the gear side of the bike so we can confirm the front mech is at the correct height?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

They look OK apart from the paint wearing off. If they start to resemble a Shark’s tooth in profile, then they are worn out.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Northeastperson

TrevA wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 5:00pm They look OK apart from the paint wearing off. If they start to resemble a Shark’s tooth in profile, then they are worn out.
Oh. I thought some of them really did look like shark's teeth.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

Are the rings steel or aluminium? A magnet should soon let you know.
They do look a bit pointed but if steel I would think unlikely to be worn in that time unless you have done loads of gritty off road work.

I did wear out some aluminium chainrings in a couple of rides years ago so it can be done. Collected my brand new Roberts White Spider from Croydon and rode it to stay with someone near Winchester on road. The next day went for a long ride in the rain on the downs and got chain suck badly with the chain gouging loads of paint off my brand new bike! The chain rings were so badly worn already, Suntour Compact rubbish. Soon swapped it all for Shimano XT.
Northeastperson

Des49 wrote: 26 Nov 2021, 5:37pm Are the rings steel or aluminium? A magnet should soon let you know.
They do look a bit pointed but if steel I would think unlikely to be worn in that time unless you have done loads of gritty off road work.

I did wear out some aluminium chainrings in a couple of rides years ago so it can be done. Collected my brand new Roberts White Spider from Croydon and rode it to stay with someone near Winchester on road. The next day went for a long ride in the rain on the downs and got chain suck badly with the chain gouging loads of paint off my brand new bike! The chain rings were so badly worn already, Suntour Compact rubbish. Soon swapped it all for Shimano XT.
It's aluminium.
Northeastperson

Since I started this thread I heard from a former highly competitive road cyclist. He suggested I pull the chain forward away from the chainring as that could tell me something. What do you judge from the photo?
Attachments
IMG_20211126_152004530.jpg