Wide fitting cycling shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
luddite

Wide fitting cycling shoes

Post by luddite »

Can anyone offer an opinion on cycling shoes?

I bought a pair of cycling shoes from either Lidl or Aldi over a decade ago, I can't recall which one now for sure. They've given remarkably good service, but have finally started to give up the ghost with a big split down the side. Remarkably, they only cost £15, though the best thing about them is that they are brilliantly comfortable. I've got a broad foot and can only wear wider fitting Clarks or New Balance shoes. These have a really wide toe box and good thick sole that takes all the pressure of the pedal. Other cycling shoes tend to be uncomfortably tight for me. Can anyone suggest a wider fitting cycle shoe as a replacement? It needn't be SPD compatible. I use them with toe straps. Thanks if you've got any suggestions.
IMG_20211102_220347.jpg
Chris Jeggo

Re: Wide fitting cycling shoes

Post by Chris Jeggo »

I have wide feet and use Exustar Stelvio black leather touring shoes, available from Spa Cycles in Harrogate.
luddite

Post by luddite »

Thanks Chris. I'll take a look at them.
LittleGreyCat

Post by LittleGreyCat »

I have a similar problem.
At the moment I cycle in New Balance (4E) trainers and toe clips.
In the wet and cold I wear Shower Pass waterproof socks so the shoes can get soaked but my feet stay warm and dry.

I did have a pair of shoes made but I have never got round to breaking them in because the NB trainers are still working well.
https://glorydays.cc/blog/cycle-shoes/
William Lennon still make them.
I dropped in and they drew round my feet then made the shoes up.
I MUST start wearing them around the house just to break the leather in a little bit, then use them on the bike.
Oh, you can draw around your own feet and send off the drawings. :lol:
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've never worn cycling shoes. I got to thinking I ought to about 12 years ago, but gave up looking when I couldn't find anything that fitted properly.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

In the past I've found Lake cycling shoes to be generous in the forefoot. I see that these days they offer some of their models in a "wide" fitting - like this, for example.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 5:21pm I have wide feet and use Exustar Stelvio black leather touring shoes, available from Spa Cycles in Harrogate.
A fine choice for that "I nipped back in time to 1930 and stole these shoes off a drunken gentleman reveller in a Soho alley" look. Don't forget to buy white spats to go with them. :D
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

if your not worried about SPD. Walking shoes such as Meryl might be worth a look waterproof and you have more of choice of width. they have a thick stiff sole
NUKe

Post by luddite »

Thanks guys for all these brilliant suggestions. I'll follow up on these shortly. As it's coming up to Christmas time I think I know what's at the top of my shopping list! I'll keep you posted as to what I end up getting.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

I have just found got Shimano MTB shoes that fitted I need a wide forefoot shoe, ended buying 2 pairs !
I have still got some old Aldi cycling shoes, they were brilliant value!