wester ross bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
dog64

wester ross bike

Post by dog64 »

are there any wester ross owners on the forum
peetee

Re: wester ross bike

Post by peetee »

I wish I could answer “yes” to this. It’s one of the few bike brands I have wanted to own for a long time. That and Longstaff.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

:D Smug smile
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
peetee

Post by peetee »

eileithyia wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 5:10pm :D Smug smile
Photo please. :)
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've kept half an eye out for one over the years, but they don't often turn up in my diminutive frame size. I believe the frames were all custom. built for the original buyer.
I like the Scottish connection !
Nu-Fogey
freiston

Post by freiston »

I was cycling north of Coventry about a year or two ago and chatted briefly with a bloke on a Wester Ross (with a well worn Carradice saddlebag on the back) down Wall Hill Road, on his way back from Tamworth. Some time later, I saw a picture posted on the Coventry CTC facebook page that I believe is you with your Wester Ross, taken in the early 80s and a there's a bloke to your left with a tandem. I'm probably totally wrong but I did wonder if the bloke with the tandem was the same bloke that I saw on the Wester Ross. It's not a make that one comes across often - indeed I haven't seen one since and can't remember seeing one before.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
dog64

Post by dog64 »

ive a 21.5 i may be selling in the future i just need to build it back up at some point
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

freiston wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 11:23pm
I was cycling north of Coventry about a year or two ago and chatted briefly with a bloke on a Wester Ross (with a well worn Carradice saddlebag on the back) down Wall Hill Road, on his way back from Tamworth. Some time later, I saw a picture posted on the Coventry CTC facebook page that I believe is you with your Wester Ross, taken in the early 80s and a there's a bloke to your left with a tandem. I'm probably totally wrong but I did wonder if the bloke with the tandem was the same bloke that I saw on the Wester Ross. It's not a make that one comes across often - indeed I haven't seen one since and can't remember seeing one before.
In the normal usage of the word, eileithyia is not a bloke.
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Another smug smile.

Bought from Steve Brown of this parish.
The only WR built specifically for an SA5

Funnily enough, I was just polishing it when I noticed this thread.
freiston

Post by freiston »

thirdcrank wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 10:09am
In the normal usage of the word, eileithyia is not a bloke.
Yeah, I know that but please re-read my post - I'm talking about the bloke with the tandem next to eileithya in the picture.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Oops -Sorry
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Ah Yes, If I recall the photo accurately I was wearing a Red cycle top with the WR script on it.... The chap to my left had his daughter on the tandem? It was taken as I was about to leave Warwick university as a C ride leader on the birthday rides. That week saw me develop a friendship (and just friends) with Peter Gray and his family who had taken his daughter to her first birthday rides that week. Peter was well known in CTC circles having begun cycling in the Doncaster area before moving to York. He helped organise York rally for many years and was involved in the organisation of the Malton birthday rides. Sadly Peter died of Pancreatic Cancer a few years ago. As far as I know he never owned a WR. I have no idea of who you may have seen, if it was a dark green or purple WR it might have been my ex who has (had) 2 of the frames, but not sure why he would have been in the Coventry area (he also is doing very little cycling these days due to health issues). The first WR I saw was the one a club mate got back in 79/80 (Coventry rider), which we took on tour with us to WR in the summer of 80 and visited the workshop. Unfortunately Nigel also died a few years back and i have no idea what happened to his WR I think he may have sold it on some years before.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

peetee wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 8:18pm
Photo please. :)
Sorry am totally useless at uploading photos to this page as they always seem to be oversize and need all sorts of cropping. Am also on a new computer so most of photos are stored elsewhere....
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Frame is currently sat in the shed stripped down, am intending to get the rear triangle altered in order to take today's wider cassettes, just need to get around to it between issues of house refurb (last winter) and covid lockdown issues.
freiston

Post by freiston »

eileithyia wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 10:59am
Ah Yes, If I recall the photo accurately I was wearing a Red cycle top with the WR script on it.... The chap to my left had his daughter on the tandem? It was taken as I was about to leave Warwick university as a C ride leader on the birthday rides. That week saw me develop a friendship (and just friends) with Peter Gray and his family who had taken his daughter to her first birthday rides that week. Peter was well known in CTC circles having begun cycling in the Doncaster area before moving to York. He helped organise York rally for many years and was involved in the organisation of the Malton birthday rides. Sadly Peter died of Pancreatic Cancer a few years ago. As far as I know he never owned a WR. I have no idea of who you may have seen, if it was a dark green or purple WR it might have been my ex who has (had) 2 of the frames, but not sure why he would have been in the Coventry area (he also is doing very little cycling these days due to health issues). The first WR I saw was the one a club mate got back in 79/80 (Coventry rider), which we took on tour with us to WR in the summer of 80 and visited the workshop. Unfortunately Nigel also died a few years back and i have no idea what happened to his WR I think he may have sold it on some years before.
Yes, that's the photo!
Unfortunately I can't remember the colour of the WR that I saw. I will keep my eyes peeled and in the unlikely chance of seeing him again, I might ask more about him and the bike.