ViewRanger to Outdooractive

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
crossy

ViewRanger to Outdooractive

Post by crossy »

Hi everyone I’ve been using ViewRanger for a long time I’ve just been sent a message saying the app will no longer be able to be used from the end of Feb 2022. Every thing is changing over to outdooractive. I’ve been trying to cycle all the roads in Wiltshire. I can save my tracks on ViewRanger and get them to all to show on the map so I can see easily what roads I haven’t ridden. If anyone is using outdooractive, do you know a way of doing this on outdooractive. The message I got says if you bought maps from ViewRanger you can press a botton on Outdooractive to transfer the maps so that’s not too bad as I have the whole of the UK in 1:50 OS on ViewRanger I bought them when they were on special offer.
ICE Adventure E51, Van Nic Amazon E40, NWT Bike Friday E17, Orange Rohloff, Total E58
CinnabarMoth

Re: ViewRanger to Outdooractive

Post by CinnabarMoth »

crossy wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 8:21am . The message I got says if you bought maps from ViewRanger you can press a botton on Outdooractive to transfer the maps so that’s not too bad as I have the whole of the UK in 1:50 OS on ViewRanger I bought them when they were on special offer.
Wish I'd done that, I have most of Wiltshire but not all, now if I want any more maps I'll have to pay the annual subscription. I did not realize the app would cease working till I read your post.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

AndyK

Post by AndyK »

They were all transferred across for me automatically when I linked my Viewranger account to the new OutdoorActive account they'd set up for me (without asking). My routes and tracks are all there in my Outdooractive account. So is access to the OS maps I bought permanent licenses for - though I can't believe that will be the case forever.
All I had to do was follow the instructions in the email sent out in March. If you've lost that, I believe the relevant link is https://my.viewranger.com/oa-merge?lpid=0 .
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

AndyK wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:41pm They were all transferred across for me automatically when I linked my Viewranger account to the new OutdoorActive account they'd set up for me (without asking). My routes and tracks are all there in my Outdooractive account. So is access to the OS maps I bought permanent licenses for - though I can't believe that will be the case forever.
All I had to do was follow the instructions in the email sent out in March. If you've lost that, I believe the relevant link is https://my.viewranger.com/oa-merge?lpid=0 .
Thanks, I have linked my accounts and can see and download Viewranger routes for offline use but I can't work out how to download my Viewranger map tiles which do not contain routes, is there a way to just download all my Viewranger content with one click?
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

CinnabarMoth wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 9:18am
AndyK wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:41pm They were all transferred across for me automatically when I linked my Viewranger account to the new OutdoorActive account they'd set up for me (without asking). My routes and tracks are all there in my Outdooractive account. So is access to the OS maps I bought permanent licenses for - though I can't believe that will be the case forever.
Thanks, I have linked my accounts and can see and download Viewranger routes for offline use but I can't work out how to download my Viewranger map tiles which do not contain routes, is there a way to just download all my Viewranger content with one click?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. What are you trying to download them to?
If you mean, "How do I get a copy of the OS maps I bought that I can read some other way after the Viewranger app stops working?" then I think the answer is, "you can't". The map files that we bought are in a proprietary Viewranger format and - as far as I know - nothing other than the Viewranger app can read them. And that app will stop working after February.

If you mean "Can I download a file of the 1:50,000 OS mapping for (say) the whole of North Wales to the OutdoorActive app on my phone in one go, in the same way I could download it to the Viewranger app?" then the answer is, you can't. OutdoorActive doesn't work like that.

What you can do is adjust the view on your screen to take in the area you want, then it the download icon at top right to download mapping of that area for offline use. There's a limit of a 40kmx40km square for each download, but you can download multiple squaresside by side. In short, it's a bit of a faff.

There's more info here:
https://www.outdooractive.com/en/k/savi ... /37514067/
Be sure to watch the video as it contains information not given in the text. (Why do companies do that? It's so lazy.)

But the offline mode is Pro-level stuff, so after the year's free trial for ex-Viewranger folk expires, the offline maps will cease to be available unless you start paying the annual subs.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

AndyK wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 2:34pm
But the offline mode is Pro-level stuff, so after the year's free trial for ex-Viewranger folk expires, the offline maps will cease to be available unless you start paying the annual subs.
Thanks for that I'll watch the video, but in the meantime I have contacted Outdoor Active support about this and I have been informed that I should still be able to access offline the coverage I bought from Viewranger once the free subscription period is over if I contact them about it at the time.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Thanks, that's interesting. It all seems over-complicated, to be honest.
CinnabarMoth

Post by CinnabarMoth »

AndyK wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 5:59pm Thanks, that's interesting. It all seems over-complicated, to be honest.
I get the impression they are making things up as they go along. I would have thought that if one purchases access to maps then there must be some kind of consumer protection to guarantee continued access, it's not like Viewranger have gone bankrupt. If I find in a years time they have not honoured this promiss which has been made in an email then I will likely contact trading standards.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

CinnabarMoth wrote: 9 Dec 2021, 9:01am
AndyK wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 5:59pm Thanks, that's interesting. It all seems over-complicated, to be honest.
I get the impression they are making things up as they go along. I would have thought that if one purchases access to maps then there must be some kind of consumer protection to guarantee continued access, it's not like Viewranger have gone bankrupt. If I find in a years time they have not honoured this promiss which has been made in an email then I will likely contact trading standards.
Looks like they've thought of that. :-)
By accepting access to Legacy maps on the Outdooractive platform you confirm that you waive any legal claim against Augmentra Ltd and its directors in relation to any previously purchased contracts. You agree that by connecting your account with Outdooractive, any access to Legacy maps and content on the Outdooractive platform will be bound by the Outdooractive Terms and Conditions.
https://www.outdooractive.com/en/viewra ... ement.html
sjs

Post by sjs »

AndyK wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 2:34pm
If you mean, "How do I get a copy of the OS maps I bought that I can read some other way after the Viewranger app stops working?" then I think the answer is, "you can't". The map files that we bought are in a proprietary Viewranger format and - as far as I know - nothing other than the Viewranger app can read them. And that app will stop working after February.
The version of MOBAC on my laptop claims to be able to understand and translate Viewranger format map tiles. Might be worth a look.