Giant Kronos bike value?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jase

Giant Kronos bike value?

Post by Jase »

Hi All,
I have my Giant Kronos bike that I've been keeping for prosperity for over 20 years. It's about time I sell it as it is just taking up space in my garage.
Its a decent spec (for its age), CR-MO 4130 tubing, Shimano 105 STI groupset, profile bars, look pedals. It is cica mid-late nineties but has had very little use, I bought it towards the end of my cycling days, and now hasn't been used in over 20 years. So it's in pretty good condition, couple of light scuffs on the brake levers, hardly any wear on the group set.
I looked on eBay and there is such a massive range of prices, but I've been out of touch with bikes for a long time now, so I just don't know where it would sit these days, especially given its age. Can anyone give me any advice?

Thanks

Jase
mattsccm

Re: Giant Kronos bike value?

Post by mattsccm »

Couple of hundred quid if you are lucky and find someone who wants a bike to knock about on.Wrong time of the year to cash in on the shortage of bikes, especially something old.
Jase

Post by Jase »

mattsccm wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 8:25pm Couple of hundred quid if you are lucky and find someone who wants a bike to knock about on.Wrong time of the year to cash in on the shortage of bikes, especially something old.
Thanks for your comments, that's what I was worried about. I've been looking today at what is available and the various prices and it's frustrating to see so many bikes that really don't look very good, around the £100 mark, and this bike which has a decent groupset and in great condition, probably won't fetch much more...
geomannie

Post by geomannie »

Jase wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 11:24pm
mattsccm wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 8:25pm Couple of hundred quid if you are lucky and find someone who wants a bike to knock about on.Wrong time of the year to cash in on the shortage of bikes, especially something old.
Thanks for your comments, that's what I was worried about. I've been looking today at what is available and the various prices and it's frustrating to see so many bikes that really don't look very good, around the £100 mark, and this bike which has a decent groupset and in great condition, probably won't fetch much more...
With old bikes condition is everything. If you stress that the groupset is OK & that everything else is ok you might get a better price. Maybe advertise with closeup pictures of a chain checker showing little wear, unworn rims, tyres in good nick etc.? These are what would entice me to pay a higher price for an old bike.
geomannie
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I'd wait til spring, then try to advertise locally. You might get someone who wants to take up cycling, wants decent bike at decent price, buy from reliable source with possibly some advice. I'd try to play on these aspects.

Or am I just dreaming.
Jase

Post by Jase »

geomannie wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 8:53am With old bikes condition is everything. If you stress that the groupset is OK & that everything else is ok you might get a better price. Maybe advertise with closeup pictures of a chain checker showing little wear, unworn rims, tyres in good nick etc.? These are what would entice me to pay a higher price for an old bike.
Thanks, that's some good advice. I'll make sure I take some close-ups
Jase

Post by Jase »

simonhill wrote: 5 Dec 2021, 11:03am I'd wait til spring, then try to advertise locally. You might get someone who wants to take up cycling, wants decent bike at decent price, buy from reliable source with possibly some advice. I'd try to play on these aspects.

Or am I just dreaming.
That's quite a good idea, and I know I've had this bike hanging in my garage for such a long time that a few more months won't make any difference. Trouble is, its hanging place was out of the way, which is why it just stayed there. But now that space is in use so the bike is just in the way. Hmm...
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

"it's frustrating to see so many bikes that really don't look very good, around the £100 mark,"
And you'll get double that or more.
All bikes are sold as being in fantastic condition as you say about yours. Many pics will prove that yours is better than average.Thats what will make the difference. However its st ill old but if it isn't cheap it won't sell. I have tried a newer better spec bike for 250. Still got it. Its old.
Might be worth looking for a focus sales group as well as the flog it to death workhorse sales places. That should help. A very small market but if it really is good someone will bite.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Jase wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 11:24pm it's frustrating to see so many bikes that really don't look very good, around the £100 mark, and this bike which has a decent groupset and in great condition, probably won't fetch much more...
Remember that's the asking price, not the sold price. :wink:
They will hang around a long while.

The truth of the matter is that either it will be bought by:
1. Somebody new to the game who won't want to spend much
2. To break and sell for spares separately, who will need to turn a profit and won't want to spend much
3. Somebody knowledgeable who wants a winter trainer or commuter and who (guess what) won't want to spend much.

The only people who want such bikes are collectors, and frankly yours is too ordinary...no famous Italian name with top-end bits. In the same way nobody will pay much for a 1995 Ford Mondeo with only 20,000 on the clock, pristine or not.
Jase

Post by Jase »

hamster wrote: 6 Dec 2021, 5:33pm
Jase wrote: 4 Dec 2021, 11:24pm it's frustrating to see so many bikes that really don't look very good, around the £100 mark, and this bike which has a decent groupset and in great condition, probably won't fetch much more...
Remember that's the asking price, not the sold price. :wink:
They will hang around a long while.

The truth of the matter is that either it will be bought by:
1. Somebody new to the game who won't want to spend much
2. To break and sell for spares separately, who will need to turn a profit and won't want to spend much
3. Somebody knowledgeable who wants a winter trainer or commuter and who (guess what) won't want to spend much.

The only people who want such bikes are collectors, and frankly yours is too ordinary...no famous Italian name with top-end bits. In the same way nobody will pay much for a 1995 Ford Mondeo with only 20,000 on the clock, pristine or not.
Thanks for the response. You make some very good points, so thanks for that. The only person it holds any value to is me. For everyone else it is just a 20 year old Ford Mondeo :?. I used to own a Ford Mondeo, great car BTW...

I guess all I can do is advertise it at a certain, shall we say, optimistic price. If it sells, then great, otherwise if I get no bites, drop the price until I get some interest :cry:. Need to go clean it now, it's gathered a bit of dust and spider poop...

J
hamster

Post by hamster »

None of what I said makes it a bad bike or any less fun to ride though!

(Happily enjoying my 1979 Witcomb)
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It might be worth trying retrobike forum. The MTB side of that site is much more active than the road though, and even that's quietened in the last few years. At least if you sell it there it might be to someone who appreciates what they're buying! It might also be worth bringing it to the attention of the MTB side of that forum - there's a bit more love for 90s bikes there that don't have to be your old classics - retro rather than vintage.
Jase

Post by Jase »

gregoryoftours wrote: 8 Dec 2021, 10:59pm It might be worth trying retrobike forum. The MTB side of that site is much more active than the road though, and even that's quietened in the last few years. At least if you sell it there it might be to someone who appreciates what they're buying! It might also be worth bringing it to the attention of the MTB side of that forum - there's a bit more love for 90s bikes there that don't have to be your old classics - retro rather than vintage.
Thanks for that, yes that looks to contain a few bikes circa this same age. I'll post an ad over there.
Cheers
J