Electrically-heated gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
danfoto

Electrically-heated gloves

Post by danfoto »

If anyone has first-hand experience of battery-powered electrically-heated gloves that work well for winter cycling and would care to share their thoughts on them, I for one would be most grateful.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
roubaixtuesday

Re: Electrically-heated gloves

Post by roubaixtuesday »

I have heated liner gloves from blazewear.

As a severe raynauds sufferer, I'd say they're an absolute gamechanger.

But, very pricey, and don't last forever, maybe expect to get one winter of daily use on bike (I've had one element fail and one battery). I think cycling is very hard on gloves because of the pressure on them.

Need to wear them under a quality pair of windproof gloves. Rechargeable, good for at least a couple of hours and will keep you warm at significantly below zero even on long descents.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/glov ... love-inner
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Much obliged to you. That's exactly the sort of information I need :)
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I share this every so often when I hear of such things...

I know that for many people (those with Raynaud's phenomenon being prime examples) the requirement is real, but for the rest of us, let's remember how lucky we are that there are simple solutions to so many of life's problems.

https://thedailywtf.com/articles/the_co ... 7_s_gloves
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tim Holman

Post by Tim Holman »

Hello all, I was given a pair of electrically heated gloves. These work from rechargeable AA batteries within the wrist construction of the glove. They work for too short a time to be of any real use and are hugely bulky. I'm guessing they might be better on a motorbike where there might be some windproofing as part of the handlebar or the possibility of plugging into the MB's electrics but I've no knowledge of this. What's better for me instead is/ are several layers of thermal and fleece and wool and windproof topcoat. I have Reynaud's and a dodgy heart so my outer circulation leaves a lot to be desired at all times of year!
Tim
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mentioning the wind guards is probably useful, you can get those to attach to a pedal bike as well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

[XAP]Bob wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 1:50pm I share this every so often when I hear of such things...

I know that for many people (those with Raynaud's phenomenon being prime examples) the requirement is real, but for the rest of us, let's remember how lucky we are that there are simple solutions to so many of life's problems.

Much as I empathise with the general tone, and I appreciate you're not having a pop, for me the Raynauds is so bad that if my hands go (it's like a biological switch) then when they heat up again it can be absolutely agonisingly painful. Literally the most acute pain I've ever felt, far worse than being hit head on by a car, just for instance.

Cycling is probably the worst possible activity,
leaving hands wet from sweat going up hills, but totally exposed and with no exercise to drive circulation going down. Whereas with the heated gloves, I can enjoy this :-)
20211128_095601.jpg
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
[XAP]Bob wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:14pm Mentioning the wind guards is probably useful, you can get those to attach to a pedal bike as well.
My thoughts :wink:
On motorcycles this extended warm hands to several hours other than 30 minutes!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:20pm
[XAP]Bob wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 1:50pm I share this every so often when I hear of such things...

Much as I empathise with the general tone, and I appreciate you're not having a pop, for me the Raynauds is so bad that if my hands go (it's like a biological switch) then when they heat up again it can be absolutely agonisingly painful. Literally the most acute pain I've ever felt, far worse than being hit head on by a car, just for instance.

Cycling is probably the worst possible activity,
leaving hands wet from sweat going up hills, but totally exposed and with no exercise to drive circulation going down. Whereas with the heated gloves, I can enjoy this :-)
:( I knew it's not comfortable, didn't know it classified as an 11.

It's a bit like a wheelchair - for anyone who doesn't need one it's a ridiculous idea, for those who do it's an absolute necessity. My legs are fine, but a wheelchair is still necessary for safe mobility out and about.
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you use electrically heated gloves with pogies as well, you should be able to keep the gloves on a low setting, and give yourself a longer ride.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

Tim Holman wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:02pm Hello all, I was given a pair of electrically heated gloves ... They work for too short a time to be of any real use and are hugely bulky.
Oh, well that's that then.

:roll:
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

andrew_s wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 4:50pm If you use electrically heated gloves with pogies as well, you should be able to keep the gloves on a low setting, and give yourself a longer ride.
Thank you for that eminently sensible suggestion. I had to look up what "pogies" are, but I now know them to be a variation of the bar mitts which I've tried. Unfortunately they're a no-no for use with my #1 bicycle on account of the angle of the bars, the brake pipes and the twistgrip gearchange. And the bell ...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Some more experiences from November 2020:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=142106

Jonathan
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

OK then ... it's make own mind up time so three different pairs are now ordered, of which at least two will go back whence they came PDQ.

Stand by for the next thrilling instalment in due course ...
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

Used to do lots winter kayaking using pogies and they worked really well.
I use butterfly bars on my hack and was thinking of trying to make some but with straight bars they are easy to buy.
Maybe some clever soul could make heated bar grips like on motorbikes.