Electrically-heated gloves

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
andrew_s

Re: Electrically-heated gloves

Post by andrew_s »

Heated bar grips would be no good for a bike on rides longer than trivial. Motorbikes have power supply limited by the size of the petrol tank; with pushbikes, you've got to carry the battery.

The most important thing for warm hands is to keep the wind off, preferably using something that doesn't actually touch the hand, which is why pogies are so good (Bar Mitts is a brand name).

Pogies for straight bars are fairly common, and there are versions for drops too (lever hoods only), but there are some bars that won't work with off the shelf pogies.

Next best would probably be a generously sized windproof mitten. I'd suggest the largest size Buffalo pile/pertex mitts available - the pile lining keeps the windshell off your fingers, and also, if they get wet, you can just wting them out and they are nearly as good as dry.
danfoto

Post by danfoto »

For those unable to sleep at night for wondering how the vexed issue of my cold fingers might best be resolved, I am pleased to report that a solution has been found. I have just returned from a 7-mile test ride round the block in a biting wind and a still air temp of 2°C, and my fingers stayed nicely warm throughout thanks to a pair of "Day Wolf" heated gloves.

"Day Wolf" is a stupid name and £137 is a scandalous price for a pair of gloves, but viewed rather as the means by which I can keep riding through the winter, it's well worth it to me.

Point to note if you're thinking of buying some heated gloves - if you can't get to a stockist, order at least two pairs to try out. I got three different pairs, all sized as per maker's size guide, and two of them were way too big. The biggest variable seems to be the relationship of finger/thumb length to palm circumference.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

danfoto wrote: 10 Dec 2021, 1:06pm "Day Wolf" is a stupid name and £137 is a scandalous price for a pair of gloves, but viewed rather as the means by which I can keep riding through the winter, it's well worth it to me.
Absolutely stupid name, but brilliant result.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:40am I have heated liner gloves from blazewear.

As a severe raynauds sufferer, I'd say they're an absolute gamechanger.

But, very pricey, and don't last forever, maybe expect to get one winter of daily use on bike (I've had one element fail and one battery). I think cycling is very hard on gloves because of the pressure on them.

Need to wear them under a quality pair of windproof gloves. Rechargeable, good for at least a couple of hours and will keep you warm at significantly below zero even on long descents.

https://www.blazewear.com/our-gear/glov ... love-inner
Very interesting. My fingers are suffering in cold and damp weather so these sound like they would work well for me.

I have a couple of questions about them - can you comment on the sizing? Does the size you got match the circumference of your hand? How about finger length? Also, are you using them on a drop bar bike with integrated shifter and gear levers?

PeterH
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A friend who has a huuuuge adventure motorbike and all the toys, has 'leccy everything - gilet, gubbies, sat-nav ect ect... and is well happy with it all and regularly goes on 300 miles + day trips, in winter ! I know !! And he's my age !!! (Obviously it all runs off the 'bike's electrics.)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
jb

Post by jb »

You don't tend to sweat on a motorbike when its cold which is an advantage in keeping warm if you've got good gloves to start with.
Cheers
J Bro
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

peterh11 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 8:45pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 10:40am I have heated liner gloves from blazewear.

But, very pricey, and don't last forever, maybe expect to get one winter of daily use on bike (I've had one element fail and one battery). I think cycling is very hard on gloves because of the pressure on them.

Need to wear them under a quality pair of windproof gloves. Rechargeable, good for at least a couple of hours and will keep you warm at significantly below zero even on long descents.

Very interesting. My fingers are suffering in cold and damp weather so these sound like they would work well for me.

I have a couple of questions about them - can you comment on the sizing? Does the size you got match the circumference of your hand? How about finger length? Also, are you using them on a drop bar bike with integrated shifter and gear levers?

PeterH
Sorry for not getting back sooner, been having a bit of a digital detox.

On sizing, I have very large hands, so simply buy the largest gloves of any sort I can, so no help on that one.

I use them on both flat bar (MTB) and dropped bar with (shimano) STIs. No problems for me with either, but some people do generally seem to struggle with bulky gloves and STIs. Personally I think they're fine.
peterh11

Post by peterh11 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 3:24pm
peterh11 wrote: 22 Dec 2021, 8:45pm

PeterH
Sorry for not getting back sooner, been having a bit of a digital detox.

On sizing, I have very large hands, so simply buy the largest gloves of any sort I can, so no help on that one.

I use them on both flat bar (MTB) and dropped bar with (shimano) STIs. No problems for me with either, but some people do generally seem to struggle with bulky gloves and STIs. Personally I think they're fine.
Thanks for replying. I do use STI levers with double layer gloves when it gets cold, so it sounds like this would work for me. Still experimenting with a few non-electric options (more layers on sleeves, better quality winter gloves) but if that fails will make the jump.

PeterH
horizon

Post by horizon »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Dec 2021, 2:20pm Cycling is probably the worst possible activity,
leaving hands wet from sweat going up hills, but totally exposed and with no exercise to drive circulation going down.
I remember explaining this to a friend and saying why cycling in winter can be challenging even though in other respects perfectly doable. For me it's feet, again they aren't doing much in the way of movement.

I'm reading this thread while contemplating the ride I am doing tomorrow. It will be unseasonably warm but the wet will still make things cold. My strategy is:

1. Keep them (hands and feet) moving. I'm hoping that the Ergon grips will continue to repay their cost in this respect.
2. Walk up hills: I reckon this helps circulation for both feet and hands.
3. Layer gloves with a windproof/waterproof layer on top.
4. New Sealskinz for the feet but I think walking is still helpful.
5. More cafe stops.
6. I've looked at pogies but I'm going to check out a better glove arrangement first (i.e. a larger pair on top to allow for a thinner second pair underneath and the water/windproof on top of that).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
steelframe

Post by steelframe »

Maybe worth noting that there are people who either did not read that post or ignored it's advice :wink:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/po ... ur-bicycle

As the products seem not to be delivered yet it is still an open bet how usefull they will be (if at all). :D

On the other end of the reality: I had heated grips on one of my motorcycles after riding more than 20 years w/o. I had prejudices (what an unmanly piece of equipment) and did not use them (due to no need) until I got into an unexpected thunderstrom in the alps. What a relief they were! But then a motorbike is somewhat different from a bicycle...