New Super C Pannier fixings

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
aj

New Super C Pannier fixings

Post by aj »

I'm thinking of buying some new Carradice Super C panniers but have noticed that they have just changed the mounting from their own system to Rixen and Kaul on the latest incarnation, can anyone tell me the advantages/disadvantages of each type of fixing please and are there any other differences between the 'new' type Super C panniers and the old. Should I try and get the new type or is the old version just as good?

Adrian
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

from a quick look both fixing systems will work - I've never had a problem with my old ones. The new one looks a little more robust with a metal bar. The main advantage I saw was that the new system includes loops for adding a proper shoulder strap to. For years I've used a luggage strap as a shoulder strap by squeezing it into the rack fixings but these new loops mean you can get a proper padded strap from a camera bag or something and use that.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I have two Carradice Super C panniers of different models (having lost one and had to replace it to avoid the dreaded single panner deviancy.) I am not sure where they fit in your scale of old and new.

The older one (circa 1997) has plastic clips which hook over the rack then another pit swings round and locks into place. Drawbacks: only fits one guage of rack, locking clips weak (I lost one just after buying the panniers) not very secure - I eventually lost a whole pannier, not just the clip. Advantage: easy to remove.

The newer one (circa 2003) has clips which fasten with a red ratchet, a bit like a claw. Advantages: Much more secure, will fit different guages of pannier rod / tube. Disadvantages, much harder to remove, I cannot open mine without some sort of implement.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

thirdcrank wrote:I have two Carradice Super C panniers of different models (having lost one and had to replace it to avoid the dreaded single panner deviancy.) I am not sure where they fit in your scale of old and new.

I'm afraid you've done rather the opposite - you now have two single panniers :twisted: :twisted:
aj

Post by aj »

Thanks for the replies, zenzinnia, I hadn't thought about carrying them off the bike so that's a good point, thank you. Thirdcrank, I think the old ones I was referring to are your newer ones with the red ratchet, they have just launched a newer one still that is supposedly easier to fix and remove from the rack but I haven't seen these actually advertised for sale anywhere yet so I'll probably go with the 'old' type.
Adrian
julk

Post by julk »

I found the Super C grey and red ratchet type clips effective at retaining the panniers, but really difficult to undo by hand.

I retro fitted Arkel Cam-Lock Hook Kits to my Super C panniers and am very pleased with their effectiveness and ease of use. They also include loops for a shoulder strap.
aj

Post by aj »

Thank you Julk that's helpful, I'm still undecided though, I'm hoping to use these panniers for all purposes even shopping and am still unsure which fittings to go for, its a lot of money for me if I make the wrong decision.

Thanks again

Adrian
zenzinnia

Post by zenzinnia »

If you can get the newest ones I would go for those - I'm sure Carradice will only have gone for an improvement. I got mine from Spa Cycles (http://www.spacycles.co.uk/index.php) who are very nice people. If you give them a call I bet they can give you good advice.
aj

Post by aj »

Thanks zenzinnia, gave Spa a ring and asked their advice, they said the new fixings were easier to fit to a rack but they were less secure and prone to rattling, so looks like I'm going to go for the older Carradice type fittings.