Alternatives to Oil?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jam05

Alternatives to Oil?

Post by jam05 »

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how we are going to lubricate and grease our bicycles when oil runs out. I don't want a debate about peak oil here (read the literature) but was hoping if anyone could suggest decent alternatives to oil based products.

What will Mick F use when White Lightning is £250.00 a bottle?

Beeswax?
Bob S

Post by Bob S »

Goose grease, and good for rubbing on chest for cold's etc. Or my mum used to advocate it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Alternatives to Oil?

Post by Mick F »

jam05 wrote:Beeswax?

I thought bees were on the decline too!

Good question, though. How about lanolin? That comes from sheep wool.
Mick F. Cornwall
hamster

Post by hamster »

There was some stuff called (if I remember right) Green Lube in C+ this month, it's vegetable oil based.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

hamster wrote:There was some stuff called (if I remember right) Green Lube in C+ this month, it's vegetable oil based.

i was about to say Veg oil!
seems as if its the modern thing to run cars on these days :lol:
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
byegad

Post by byegad »

Castrol is so called as it was originally derived from Castor Oil. So we could go back to using that if need be. However, IMHO lubricating oil is not where the pinch is going to be felt, it will be fuel oils becoming too expensive to use that hots first by a long chalk.
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Early steam locomotives were lubricated with tallow - animal fat. I guess it could be used on bike chains.

Another issue is fuel for making steel and aluminium. Bamboo frames and wooden wheels anyone?
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

nigel_s wrote:Another issue is fuel for making steel and aluminium. Bamboo frames and wooden wheels anyone?

when fuel is so scarce that we can't refine the (few kilos required of) steel for a bike, it's all over i fear. i doubt that ships will come half round the world with bamboo in that case
cranky

Post by cranky »

hubgearfreak wrote:when fuel is so scarce that we can't refine the (few kilos required of) steel for a bike, it's all over i fear. i doubt that ships will come half round the world with bamboo in that case

Haven't you heard about Global Warming? Give it a few years and you'll be able to grow your own bamboo!!

:) :)

Iain
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
7_lives_left

Re: Alternatives to Oil?

Post by 7_lives_left »

jam05 wrote:Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how we are going to lubricate and grease our bicycles when oil runs out.

Graphite!

Once upon a time you used to be able to get this stuff called graphite grease. I am not sure but I believe it's main advantage is that it worked well under harsh conditions (extreme temperature?). Maybe nowadays it has been replace by PTFE. Can anyone more knowledgeable confrm this?

(of course graphite is probably a finite resource too...)
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

Perhaps we should start whaling again?

I'll get me coat :shock:
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

We use a graphite powder on our krabs which helps to 'dry' lubricate them, it's called 'slik dik'.
May the wind always be at your rear!
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

Beakyboy wrote:We use a graphite powder on our krabs which helps to 'dry' lubricate them, it's called 'slik dik'.

What is a 'Krab'? Is that a carabiner?
david143

Post by david143 »

cranky wrote:
hubgearfreak wrote:when fuel is so scarce that we can't refine the (few kilos required of) steel for a bike, it's all over i fear. i doubt that ships will come half round the world with bamboo in that case

Haven't you heard about Global Warming? Give it a few years and you'll be able to grow your own bamboo!!

:) :)

Iain

You can now!
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

7_lives_left wrote:
Beakyboy wrote:We use a graphite powder on our krabs which helps to 'dry' lubricate them, it's called 'slik dik'.

What is a 'Krab'? Is that a carabiner?

Yeah sorry :wink:
May the wind always be at your rear!