Alternatives to Oil?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Lawrie9 wrote:There is enough oil for a billion more years under the Arctic and lubricants can be extracted from thousands of things -plants, wool, trees animal fats. Find your selves something more important to worry about.
Who's worrying? What will be, will be. And then adapt. Or die. Easy peasy. No worries.
Gunner

Alternatives to Oil

Post by Gunner »

An interesting thread, if mineral oil was not to be used we still have semi or fully synthetic formula oils all man made ingredients mixes of polymers etc.

How does a cycle chain differ from a motorcycle chain? not greatly IMHO obviously weight and stress on a motorcycle chain is more excessive.

When I had a chain driven motorcycle, I used Morris Oil Chain lube from an aerosol can which is fully synthetic. It protects the chain against wear and corrosion, the oil is thin thus allowing it to penetrate into the pins bushes. It quickly thickens to prevent it flinging all over the place. Its main aim is to stop water and other road contamination getting into the chain.

One can last me two years!!

I saw some oil in my LBS Finish line, Pro Road which is ceramically reinforced, it is coloured white, very similar to the Motorcycle chain lube in appearance and again fully synthetic.