VISCOUNT FRONT FORKS

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
martin biggs

VISCOUNT FRONT FORKS

Post by martin biggs »

help required can anyboby out there tell me if all viscount bike front forks were recomended to be replaced due to a fault in manufacturing ? or is it just certain frame numbers that are affected .
any other info would be helpfull as just picked one up , might use for daily commute or sell on .
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I assume you're referring to the late '70s lugless Viscounts. It was the alloy ones that were suspect, if I recall correctly, but I can't remember the reason. My pal rode one, but his had steel forks.

Tony S
GeoffL

Post by GeoffL »

According to Sheldon Brown's article the problem forks were cast aluminium with a steel steerer. Sheldon even went as far as to shout: "UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A LAMBERT OR VISCOUNT BE RIDDEN WITH THE ORIGINAL CAST ALUMINUM FORK!!!!!!!!!"

HTH,

Geoff
PW

Post by PW »

The steel ones are fine. I have one in the shed which must have done 50,000m and might see more winter iron use yet.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
ruffstuffbob

Viscount Forks

Post by ruffstuffbob »

Hi all, I have a Viscount which I use as a "hack" and as a " playing out bike" and note the problems indicated but ,how do you know the difference between a steel fork and an aluminium one or is it obvious and I'm being daft. Bob. J.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Test with a magnet
ruffstuffbob

Viscount Forks

Post by ruffstuffbob »

It's obvious innit, I am daft but I bet I'm not the only one, I hope. Thanks. Bob. J.
martin biggs

viscount forks

Post by martin biggs »

thanks for all the help just checked and they are good old magnetic steel items , so will be able to ride it once all running ok. thanks martin
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

We were talking about the infamous Viscount "Death Forks" down the cycling club the other night.
Our Club President said if they've lasted this long they're probably alright !
On a similar note, I remember seeing an old Raleigh racing bike at a bike shop in Cambridge, which had half it's handlebar missing. It had apparently rusted through and suddenly given way, and there was some of the rider's blood left on the remaining part from when he fell off as a result... :shock:
doodzy

Re: VISCOUNT FRONT FORKS

Post by doodzy »

lol i've just brought a viscount off ebay for £27. It's a hybrid so i'm assuming its was produced after the fork of death incident, although I haven't tested it yet because I haven't actually picked it up yet! Is there any way to check how old it is ?
quiksilver

Re: VISCOUNT FRONT FORKS

Post by quiksilver »

Try using the ' Search' facility and look at the extensive thread currently on this page for Viscount Bicycles, it may well help?