....if I'm spending too much time riding my bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
minkie

....if I'm spending too much time riding my bike

Post by minkie »

On my morning ride today I was thinking about my gadget situation and it came to me that there’s some gaps in the gadgets market. For example:

1. A clever fastener to stop helmet straps slackening over time.
2. Titanium D lock – strong, weighs next-to-nothing.
3. Integral pine-scented air-freshener built into base layers.
4. A sensor to detect other bikes approaching from behind - for commuter not-racing.
5. Small on-bike wind turbine to power lights, sat nav etc.
6. Glasses demister / windscreen wiper - powered by in-helmet battery (or maybe on-bike wind turbine).
7. Automatic gear changer - with bluetooth links to cadence sensor, heart rate monitor and power meter
8. Satnav with built-in hands-free phone. .

Do any of these things exist already?
Can you think of any other missing gadgets?

Or maybe I’m just spending too much time riding my bike?
Dean

Post by Dean »

At least one of those already exists:

http://www.smartplanet.com/reviews/tech/10001284/review/hymini.htm

About £40, plus a tenner for the handlebar fitting. I was tempted to get one, but there's enough rubbish on my handlebars as it is.

How much time do you spend riding your bike? I spend my time re-playing conversations, looking at scenery, thinking what I'll eat for my tea and so on.
cranky

Re: ....if I'm spending too much time riding my bike

Post by cranky »

minkie wrote:On my morning ride today I was thinking about my gadget situation and it came to me that there’s some gaps in the gadgets market. For example:

1. A clever fastener to stop helmet straps slackening over time.
2. Not hard enough to stop a junior hacksaw. Titanium D lock – strong, weighs next-to-nothing.
3. Wash more. Integral pine-scented air-freshener built into base layers.
4. It's called a 'mirror' A sensor to detect other bikes approaching from behind - for commuter not-racing.
5. Cycling can be a drag, don't add to it. Small on-bike wind turbine to power lights, sat nav etc.
6. Rain-Ex, works on car windscreens, no batteries required. Glasses demister / windscreen wiper - powered by in-helmet battery (or maybe on-bike wind turbine).
7. Automatic gear changer - with bluetooth links to cadence sensor, heart rate monitor and power meter
8. It's called a mobile phone, M700 has Satnav. Satnav with built-in hands-free phone. .

Do any of these things exist already?
Can you think of any other missing gadgets?

Or maybe I’m just spending too much time riding my bike?

My inserts in bold

:)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
WesBrooks

Post by WesBrooks »

5. Small on-bike wind turbine to power lights, sat nav etc.

- I guess it'd be more efficient to use a front dyno hub.

- I've spend many a empty minute thinking about this one and the general state of affairs with gears. With the various electronic shifting units coming in it is really close. If the triggers for these units are nothing more complicated than a push to make or break switch with the brains elsewhere then it is well within the range of the amateur electronics wizz with a couple of programmable chips. Keep it simple to begin with, ie get it working wired before going wireless, and I think you could just about get away with a cadence sensor only. Gears set to change if the cadence drops bellow a certain value, or increases above a certain value. Move these shift points a further apart if the greater the rate of increase in rpm, as if your accelerating quickly you may wish to allow the rpm to get up to between 120-150, where as if your touring this will really fatigue you, and you may prefer the shift up to occur around 100-105.

Yup I think about these little things too much too. In my case it's the trait of working in engineering and coding.
WesBrooks

Post by WesBrooks »

cranky wrote:Not hard enough to stop a junior hacksaw. Titanium D lock – strong, weighs next-to-nothing.

On the contrary. Cutting through a piece of titanium was often the joke job given to apprentices as although it is soft, the right grades can blunt hacksaws. Not to sure what it's impact properties are like when chilled. That's one of the beauties of steel, it performs very well in impact.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Thinking about gadgets is a normal fact of cycling life. Over the years I've invented and reinvented clipless pedals (though not a working design :oops: ) and gadgets to show the steepness of climbs were a recurring theme.

In my RtoR days I was involved quite closely with a non-cycling member of the Leeds City Council's Highways Dept. He lold me he had ridden from Leeds to Morley for our meeting - only about 4 miles - but then he told me that riding up Gelderd Road (the A 62 and quite a steep hill for a non-cyclist) he had been mentally designing a ski-lift type contraption to tow cyclists up the hill. We got on very well.
cranky

Post by cranky »

thirdcrank wrote:Thinking about gadgets is a normal fact of cycling life. Over the years I've invented and reinvented clipless pedals (though not a working design :oops: ) and gadgets to show the steepness of climbs were a recurring theme.

In my RtoR days I was involved quite closely with a non-cycling member of the Leeds City Council's Highways Dept. He lold me he had ridden from Leeds to Morley for our meeting - only about 4 miles - but then he told me that riding up Gelderd Road (the A 62 and quite a steep hill for a non-cyclist) he had been mentally designing a ski-lift type contraption to tow cyclists up the hill. We got on very well.

A man after my own heart. I frequently think about an electric motor on the bike with a Honda suitcase genny on a trailer. :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

An auto adjust so everything adjusts automatically at touch of a button. Annoying motorist detector complete with repellent.
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

You mean you don't have Anti-Taxi Bazookas on your bike ? :roll:
cranky

Post by cranky »

Tandemist wrote:You mean you don't have Anti-Taxi Bazookas on your bike ? :roll:

No but I do have a caltrop launcher for overtakers who come to close :)
Iain

Ridgeback Genesis Day 2
Surly Long Haul Trucker
Tandemist

Post by Tandemist »

Aha, sourced from the B556 no doubt ?
http://www.britarch.ac.uk/projects/DOB/crom1b.html
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I mentioned above day-dreaming about gadgets to measure gradients etc. I know this sort of thing has been around but they are now dirt cheap at Lidl.

Lidl computer with altimeter atc.
Beakyboy

Post by Beakyboy »

I've often thought of a fully automatic clone, so I can be replaced which means more time for me out cycling!
May the wind always be at your rear!
minkie

Post by minkie »

Cycling home tonight, wondered about retractable blades set into hubs, for that situation when a car offends whilst overtaking and you catch up with him at the next lights - smile sweetly, press button and shred his tyres......

Or clothing with built-in air bags..........

Or a force field generator to throw a rain-proof bubble around you.... sorry that last one's a bit improbable :lol:
PW

Post by PW »

Car windscreen washers filled with brake fluid for offending vehicles, parked or otherwise. :twisted:
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!