High viz jackets

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Surface should not be a problem: surely they are big enough. I think I have seen one or two in lime daylight fluorescent, but I will need to look again. None with big enough reflective stripes to meet the EN471 standard, I think.
Willem
paulah

Post by paulah »

allen-uk wrote:What happened to cycle capes? Are they as outdated as Sturmey-Archers?

And if they ARE still approved clothing, can you get high-viz versions?

Allen.

If you've got the Oct- Nov copy of Cycle, there's one on page 58
carradice pro-route cape sold by www.bikeplus.co.uk
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Paulah: just the job, thanks.

Allen.
willem jongman

Post by willem jongman »

Wow, and then something - I knew I had seen them. I don't think anyone will overlook you in these. This really is excellent, and all the more so since they do spats and a helmet cover as well. There is also reflective tape, but probably not quite enough (however, one can do something about that, of course). Does anyone have weights?
Willem
millimole

Post by millimole »

allen-uk wrote:What happened to cycle capes? Are they as outdated as Sturmey-Archers?

And if they ARE still approved clothing, can you get high-viz versions?

Allen.

They have cropped up in Lidl in the past - excellent modern (European everyday cycling) quality with reflective patches in grey or orange.
Fine in the wet when its not windy. You certainly seem to get noticed!
paulah

Post by paulah »

I've been thinking of getting one for ages but haven't worked up the courage. However, I may be starting a new job about 3 miles away on congested roads so it might be well suited to that.
michael Bloxham

Post by michael Bloxham »

Why do clothing manufacturers presist in producing cycling clothing in black ? Which is possibly the worst colour for visibility in day time let alone at night. I wear Altura Night vision windproof and waterproofs in the day to aid my visibilty, at night arm bands/leg bands and vest. I should add I wear the bright yellow version rather than the black version. Is a night vision jacket in black a contidiction in terms ?
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

I was looking at a site called 'roadcyclinguk.com' or similar, the other day (just out of interest) at a thread about clothing.

One burke there said that he(or she) would wear whatever they chose as it was their human right (or some such tosh) and no-one was going to tell them to wear colours that didn't suit them, and that anyway it was up to car drivers to avoid them....

I kid you not.

(No, I didn't bother replying).

Allen.
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

allen-uk wrote:I was looking at a site called 'roadcyclinguk.com' or similar, the other day (just out of interest) at a thread about clothing.

One burke there said that he(or she) would wear whatever they chose as it was their human right (or some such tosh) and no-one was going to tell them to wear colours that didn't suit them, and that anyway it was up to car drivers to avoid them....

I kid you not.

(No, I didn't bother replying).

Allen.

I can understand where he (or she) is coming from, the onus is on the motorist to make sure they drive in a safe manner. observing the hazards ahead .... instead of playing with their mobile phone or fiddling with the in-car entertainment.

Cyclist shouldn't have to dress like a 1970's playschool presenter in order to be safe, if motorists obeyed the highway code (and didn't exceed speed limits like 99% of them do) then cyclists would be at very little risk, no matter how fluorescent (or lack of|) their clothing was, cyclist should not have to compensate for the appalling standards of driving we see on our roads.
paulah

Post by paulah »

Have to agree on both counts - I 've manged to see ninja cyclists on badly lit roads so it shouldn't be necessary, but unfortunately there's a lot of people who lack basic driving skills or get distracted, and plenty who drive when their eyesights not up to the legal minimum. These people really annoy me. Speaking as someone who during the day regularly switches between very good eyesight (with contacts) and borderline legal for driving (with glasses) I can report that borderline is not adequate.
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Yes and no.

I'm a driver. I've got the Institute of Advanced Motorists cert. to prove that I'm more bothered than most. But give me a dark drizzly evening in a built-up area with traffic coming from all directions, lights flashing from shops and garages, etc., etc., and I tell you that a cyclist dressed in dark clothing with a tiddly little light back and front CANNOT be easily seen.

I expect cyclists to try as hard as I do to keep the roads safe.

Allen.
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

allen-uk wrote:
I expect cyclists to try as hard as I do to keep the roads safe.

Allen.

Can we have all cars painted fluorescent yellow then ?
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Urban:

Certainly. The only reason my car isn't yellow is because it was green (I think, I'm colour-blind) when I bought it second-hand.

But I think a more serious answer is that cars have powerful lights front and rear, probably 1000 times more powerful than bike lamps. And when you're out on the road (behind a wheel) it's just a question of perception. Car lights stand out, bike lights don't.

I'd like pedestrians to be more aware of their incredible vulnerability, too!

Allen.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

UrbanManc wrote:Can we have all cars painted fluorescent yellow then ?

Have you ever stared at a car and not noticed it then?? :shock:

Worrying....

John
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Not sure about not noticing them, John, but I've stared at PLENTY of cars and not been the slightest bit INTERESTED in them. I think it's something lacking in my masculine genes.

Allen.