Any know about trailers? if so help me

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
matt_watson

Any know about trailers? if so help me

Post by matt_watson »

Hi,
I'm planning on doing JOGLE and am camping so need to take all my gear with me. So i have decided on a trailer. But there seems to be a large amount of choice here and lots of different views.

Does anyone know a good trailer to carry around 25-35kg of kit at around 85miles a day???

Any opinions of the avenir mule? As i don't want to break the bank!
Thanks,
Matt
2Tubs

Post by 2Tubs »

Mick F ( a member here ) completed his LEJOG-JOGLE with a trailer and will undoubtedly have some good advice. When he arrives, I'm sure he'll point you to his blog.

Gary.

P.S. Welcome to the forums. There is plenty of e2e advice in the forum on that very subject. Check out our website journal Sheila's Wheelers. There are further resources available on there includin a link to Robguls journal which is well worth a read. Oh, there's a link to Micks blog there too!
Why not Look at Sheila's Wheelers E2E Journal
Or My Personal Site
Or My Tweets
Whatever you do, buy fair trade.
And smile.
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Check out this previous thread http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=14609&start=0

Brian
Willpower

Re: Any know about trailers? if so help me

Post by Willpower »

matt_watson wrote:
Does anyone know a good trailer to carry around 25-35kg of kit at around 85miles a day???

Matt, I recently did cambridgeish to inverness via outer hebrides towing a trailer and camping. My load was around 25-30kgs. However that was two people's stuff!
I think you could slim your load down a bit!
matt_watson

Post by matt_watson »

willpower wrote:

Matt, I recently did cambridgeish to inverness via outer hebrides towing a trailer and camping. My load was around 25-30kgs. However that was two people's stuff!
I think you could slim your load down a bit!

wat i didnt tell you is that i am being accompained by a less fit example of the human species so i have been given luggage duty. wat trailer did you use?
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

This is an idea that woks well, my Wife and I do this - I carry the weight to slow me down, and she enjoys the ride more with less weight.

Personally I use a Cyclone which passes as a holdall for B&B and trains.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

2Tubs wrote:Mick F ( a member here ) completed his LEJOG-JOGLE with a trailer and will undoubtedly have some good advice. When he arrives, I'm sure he'll point you to his blog.

MickF has gone on a cruise with Mrs MickF.

If you search his posts you'll find plenty about his trailer
matt_watson

Post by matt_watson »

Cunobelin wrote:This is an idea that woks well, my Wife and I do this - I carry the weight to slow me down, and she enjoys the ride more with less weight.

ha well i googled cyclone and found this:
http://www.mantecatrailer.com/showroom/ ... ilers.aspx

i did then find the bike trailer but u had me impressed!

yeh i think that is a out of my price range and it said something about having to have a different hitch for a 700c wheel.

how much does your kit normally weigh???
bodach

Post by bodach »

You should be able to cut your load to at least half of what you quote. I carry about 12-14 kilos in my BoB and think I have far too much but this is for tours in often bad conditions. For a simple E to E you should manage with much less.
bodach

Post by bodach »

You should be able to cut your load to at least half of what you quote. I carry about 12-14 kilos in my BoB and think I have far too much but this is for tours in often bad conditions. For a simple E to E you should manage with much less.
JohnChell

Post by JohnChell »

I like the Bob Yak, it did very well on this years holiday, carrying camping gear for 2, the mono wheel suits my needs. But be warned whist the trailer was excellent my bikes back wheel did not like the extra load and after breaking 3 spokes the rim started to crack and the wheel was replaced 600 miles in to the holiday, towing a trailer can put extra stress on the rear wheel and for me a couple of fully loaded practice rides were not enough to forwarn me that I that worsened after a week of towing.
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable and to give an appearance of solidarity to pure wind" -George Orwell.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

matt_watson wrote:
Cunobelin wrote:This is an idea that woks well, my Wife and I do this - I carry the weight to slow me down, and she enjoys the ride more with less weight.

ha well i googled cyclone and found this:
http://www.mantecatrailer.com/showroom/ ... ilers.aspx

i did then find the bike trailer but u had me impressed!

yeh i think that is a out of my price range and it said something about having to have a different hitch for a 700c wheel.

how much does your kit normally weigh???

My kit ( + wifes) is about 20 Kg

The hitch is a bar that is changeable. It means that the trailer sits level on different bikes.

I have the short one for the Bromptons etc and the longer one for the 26" - 700c bikes.
mick skinner

Post by mick skinner »

definitly recomend a trailer. i've just got back from a juant across southern france, les deuz alps to santander, and i used a folding version of the BOB yak type- attaches at the rear axel to a special quick release spindle (provided with the trailer). very stable whilst riding, less stress on the bike than panniers, lowers the centre of gravity. do it with a trailer....
matt_watson

Post by matt_watson »

mick skinner wrote:definitly recomend a trailer. i've just got back from a juant across southern france, les deuz alps to santander, and i used a folding version of the BOB yak type- attaches at the rear axel to a special quick release spindle (provided with the trailer). very stable whilst riding, less stress on the bike than panniers, lowers the centre of gravity. do it with a trailer....

do u know wat the trailer was called and an estimate of ur kit weight?
Also did you find that the one-wheeled trailer fish-tailed or ruined handling?

thanks
pete75

Post by pete75 »

A trailer thread with no post from Mick F??? Shouldn't be allowed :D