a surefire way to mark inner tubes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
archy sturmer

a surefire way to mark inner tubes?

Postby archy sturmer » 26 Aug 2008, 8:39pm

Having accumulated half a dozen inner tubes in need of patching up, I set about finding the p*******s by the bowl of water method.
Next, how to mark the spot.
In my opinion the little stump of yellow crayon that comes with repair kits is useless, even if you have dried the tyre (and lost the spot).
What do experienced tube sealers recommend?
Thank you!

- AS
That's not a recent photo, by the way

gaz

Postby gaz » 26 Aug 2008, 8:43pm

The bowl of water is a last resort. Listen for the hiss and if that fails feel the gentle breath of the escaping air upon your lips.

Biro to mark it, assuming you have the luxury of being able to mend it at home.

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 26 Aug 2008, 8:51pm

Ball-point pen. (I am now, in old age, sufficiently affluent to throw them away unless I have to do a roadside repair but I would draw two lines, one right round the thickness of the tube and another say 6" long at right angles to the first, along the length of the tube, which crossed at the puncture rather like the cross-hairs in a rifle sight. This means the exact position of the puncture remains clear, even when the surrounding area has been rubbed down with sandpaper or whatever and smeared with glue. This enables you to centre the patch over the puncture.)

Edited to add: The traffic around here is such that except at the quietest times of the night I cannot hear with any certainty a puncture at the roadside. (That could be something to do with my waiting over two years for a hearing test :oops: ) Where gaz uses his lips, somebody taught me years ago to use the sensitivity of an eyeball. I've never tried lips but on reflection, probably a lot safer.
Last edited by thirdcrank on 26 Aug 2008, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cunobelin

Postby Cunobelin » 26 Aug 2008, 9:00pm

Carry a paper clip!

A hole is a hole, and so long as it is smaller than the patch the size is irrelevant.

Open up one end of the clip and insert into hole, this then acts as a marker for application of the glue, and allows accurate application centred around the hole. Then remove clip and apply patch.

Bob S

Postby Bob S » 27 Aug 2008, 8:18am

I use a pin. Not through both sides.

zenzinnia

Postby zenzinnia » 27 Aug 2008, 8:48am

If it's just a tiny hole you can pop a bit of the adhesive over the hole while the tube is blown up. This produces a little bubble and a white dot where the hole is. I find this gives me a precise mark that I can trust. Anything else I'm kind of guessing where the air is coming out and then have to go and find something to mark it with and loose th place again etc.

archy sturmer

Postby archy sturmer » 27 Aug 2008, 8:23pm

Thanks for those suggestions - all of them new to me!

pioneer

Postby pioneer » 29 Aug 2008, 2:02pm

Chalk!

archy sturmer

Postby archy sturmer » 29 Aug 2008, 2:47pm

I tried Cunobelin's paper clip method yesterday - worked a treat. I shall try the others in due course!

Thanks

yakdiver

Postby yakdiver » 29 Aug 2008, 4:52pm

a paper clip

nice one

thirdcrank

Postby thirdcrank » 29 Aug 2008, 5:16pm

archy sturmer wrote:I tried Cunobelin's paper clip method yesterday - worked a treat. I shall try the others in due course!

Thanks

I'm sure I am joined by everybody else in hoping that you never get the opportunity to try but rather that all your tyres wear out first for many years to come.

PW

Postby PW » 30 Aug 2008, 10:30pm

Dry it whilst it's still inflated, sandpaper the rubber and put a dab of rubber solution on the hole - the escaping air will turn it white. Then let the tube down and put on the rest of the glue.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!

archy sturmer

Postby archy sturmer » 31 Aug 2008, 5:20pm

thirdcrank wrote:
I'm sure I am joined by everybody else in hoping that you never get the opportunity to try but rather that all your tyres wear out first for many years to come.

Well that's a kindly thought!
I've got 3 or 4 'spares' in need of repair, so I'll have the opportunity to try them all without having suffer a deflationary incident (the word 'p******e' is not etiquette, I believe?)